The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greyhound is dead

LordCanuck

https://business.financialpost.com/transportation/greyhound-canada-to-end-routes-in-prairies-b-c-leaving-small-towns-in-lurch 

Greyhound Canada to end service in Prairies, B.C., eliminating 415 jobs — and leaving small towns in the lurch

Only Ontario and Quebec will keep Greyhound bus routes when the cancellations go into effect at the end of October

This is nuts, really screws over alot of places. was affecting us in the okanagan already with the removal of alot of runs but now its all gone.

6 minutes ago, LordCanuck said:

https://business.financialpost.com/transportation/greyhound-canada-to-end-routes-in-prairies-b-c-leaving-small-towns-in-lurch 

Greyhound Canada to end service in Prairies, B.C., eliminating 415 jobs — and leaving small towns in the lurch

Only Ontario and Quebec will keep Greyhound bus routes when the cancellations go into effect at the end of October

This is nuts, really screws over alot of places. was affecting us in the okanagan already with the removal of alot of runs but now its all gone.

Man... I wonder if the gov can step in and subsidize them slightly to make it worth running continuing operations.

3 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

From what I noticed Greyhound buses were slowly being replaced with BC Transit buses, and just running empty.. at least on Vancouver Island.

dont think greyhound goes up island anymore do they?, the last time i had to transfer from nanaimo too another bus to get too campbell river and if i went further i had to transfer from CR..

2 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

dont think greyhound goes up island anymore do they?, the last time i had to transfer from nanaimo too another bus to get too campbell river and if i went further i had to transfer from CR..

No they still do, but the main depots are in Duncan and Victoria. Im not sure there is a depot in Nanaimo.  

Just now, drummer4now said:

No they still do, but the main depots are in Duncan and Victoria. Im not sure their is a depot in Nanaimo or not. 

yeah i was talking about the victoria one my bad, but they transfer buses over by the ferry terminal.

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

this is whats happening here. northern-bus-bc.png
government run bus service twice a week

Yeah so BC Transit will pick of the routes.. 

The only need for Greyhound was when BC transit was still establishing routes, but now they have a solid foundation in the province. 

6 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

The only need for Greyhound was when BC transit was still establishing routes, but now they have a solid foundation in the province. 

In response to Greyhound’s decision to discontinue a number of its bus routes in northern B.C., the provincial government has announced that it will launch an interim transportation service that will cater to several communities in the region.

Called BC Bus North, the initiative will offer northern B.C. residents a dependable method in which to travel the area. The service commences on June 4, and includes two round-trips per week between Prince Rupert and Prince George, Prince George and Valemount, and Prince George to Dawson Creek/Fort St. John.

One round-trip per week from Fort Nelson to Dawson Creek/Fort St. John will also be available. Greyhound’s northern-B.C. route cancellations go into effect on June 1.

“People in the north rely on transportation for their livelihoods, to access the health and education services they need, and to visit family and friends,” said Premier John Horgan in a press statement. “In the face of Greyhound’s decision, our job is to make sure northern communities and the people who live there are able to stay connected through safe, reliable, and affordable public transportation.”

16 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

What about the Greyhoud routes that serviced Souther BC?  There are plenty of little communities between Chilliwack and Kelowna/Kamloops, for example, that were serviced by Greyhound.  Then on from KelownaKamloops to Alberta.  Lots and lots of smaller places.  

similar to BC ferries northern routes( Rupert/pt.hardy Rupert/haida gwaii  that run with low ridership in the winter with a inefficient large vessel ,and not big enough in the summer , both should have, could have looked at a smaller ship/bus before making such impactful decisions. but board room executive types aren't always in touch with the real world. they dont miss the opportunity to give themselves a raise though.

1 hour ago, 112 said:

I guess I'll have to start flying if I want to see my family.

Or buy them a tablet and sign them up with a decent ISP and team them how to use FB or Whatsapp or Skype or... 

I'm very sad to lose Greyhound...:(

According to the article, they tried to lobby the government for help. Maybe that's why the service is still running back East...

3 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

Mom lives on Vancouver Island and she catches Island Link a great service with lots of 14 passenger vans traveling up and down the island several times a day....Great service running over 7 years..

Grey Hound Buses were running empty for a long time, no surprise..

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

What about the Greyhoud routes that serviced Souther BC?  There are plenty of little communities between Chilliwack and Kelowna/Kamloops, for example, that were serviced by Greyhound.  Then on from KelownaKamloops to Alberta.  Lots and lots of smaller places.  

Good point Alf. I live in one of those smaller towns near the Alberta border. I work in the auto repair industry and a lot of our parts have to come from out of town. And most come Greyhound. Now we will have to rely on DHL or Purolator. So now our parts will be 2-3 days away instead of just one. The service from the majors couriers in my town is horrible and I can't see this helping at all...

Normally you’d see WestJet salivating with this news and increasing their fare prices.

But with Flair, Jetlines and I think their was one other airline trying to target small rural areas and cities with ULCC rates we could see them get more support. 

Archived