The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a difference in leadership?

Glug Datt

As we head into the next season, it's exciting to think about who will fill the hole Hank & Dank left in the line up.. Will the scoring output be matched?.. exceeded? New first line? second line?

But naturally the other loss felt will be in leadership, on & off the ice.. and I think most would agree that you couldn't ask for classier guys than the Sedins to mentor youth. But now that they're gone, who fills that gap? 

Edler and Tanev have obviously been around the longest, but people mention Horvat & Guddy as leaders as well.. 

Does Edler become the alpha male since he's the senior member on the team? 

I guess I'm wondering... is there a difference between vets who have been in the organisation for years and vets who are just place holders...? Is there a team culture that needs to be passed on to the kids that new guys aren't privy to? is there a respect for Edler that guddy wouldn't get? or a quality guy like Horvat for that matter?

if the kids have been around longer than any vets who come in, what's the leadership dynamic? and therefore, is it a good idea to put Eddie and Tanev on the trade block? 

You have got to ask yourself, has Edler ever behaved like an alpha male? I suggest it is just not in his genes to be that guy, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Next season may be leadership by committee, and by seasons end someone will likely emerge as the go-to guy.

2 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

You have got to ask yourself, has Edler ever behaved like an alpha male? I suggest it is just not in his genes to be that guy, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Next season may be leadership by committee, and by seasons end someone will likely emerge as the go-to guy.

pretty sure Edler has the respect of his team mates if not necessarily from some in the fan base. He was our best defensemen last year but for some reason there's a lot of dislike for him. I don't get it. 

I get baffled by management's comments regarding leadership, Hank and Danny were needed, then Sutter was great in the room, then Gudbranson followed by Gagne. Vanek was given many kudos and now the new vets, what the heck, are the kids that stupid that they haven't got it yet?

What leadership are they looking for? Guys to stand in front of cameras to take the hard questions? The league has that script already, never say anything negative about the game.

Maybe there is a real problem in the room, maybe not, but Danny and Hank did get riled up a few times before last year. They seemed to think some players were "mailing" it in.

I hope they don't give Horvat the C, another two/three years of losing and facing the cameras will get old real fast.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pretty sure Edler has the respect of his team mates if not necessarily from some in the fan base. He was our best defensemen last year but for some reason there's a lot of dislike for him. I don't get it. 

People assumed he would continue his out of the world development.  Guy essentially played in a beer league level in Sweden - came over the North America and pretty much excelled right away in the WHL.  Then played in the AHL the following year and continued his unbelievable progression.  Next year - in the big show - he really didn't look that out of place in the NHL.

In the end, he turned out to be a pretty good NHLer - just no Lidstrom.  But is that really a disapointment?  There can only be one "Bobby Orr" after all.

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I get baffled by management's comments regarding leadership, Hank and Danny were needed, then Sutter was great in the room, then Gudbranson followed by Gagne. Vanek was given many kudos and now the new vets, what the heck, are the kids that stupid that they haven't got it yet?

What leadership are they looking for? Guys to stand in front of cameras to take the hard questions? The league has that script already, never say anything negative about the game.

Maybe there is a real problem in the room, maybe not, but Danny and Hank did get riled up a few times before last year. They seemed to think some players were "mailing" it in.

I hope they don't give Horvat the C, another two/three years of losing and facing the cameras will get old real fast.

Gudbranson or Sutter would both be fine.  I wouldn't mind seeing Brock wearing a letter sooner rather than later.  It's rare for a rookie scorer to be so unselfish defensively, and a class act off the ice.

11 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

reading your negativity is getting old, or got old  a long time ago...

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Gudbranson or Sutter would both be fine.  I wouldn't mind seeing Brock wearing a letter sooner rather than later.  It's rare for a rookie scorer to be so unselfish defensively, and a class act off the ice.

Well Boeser ain't no rookie no more - but it might be better to have alternating C's for the next season at least (sort of a transition period).  Alternate the C with the vets (like Sutter for example) before handing off the torch to Horvat or Boeser.

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

People assumed he would continue his out of the world development.  Guy essentially played in a beer league level in Sweden - came over the North America and pretty much excelled right away in the WHL.  Then played in the AHL the following year and continued his unbelievable progression.  Next year - in the big show - he really didn't look that out of place in the NHL.

In the end, he turned out to be a pretty good NHLer - just no Lidstrom.  But is that really a disapointment?  There can only be one "Bobby Orr" after all.

checked the stats again for last season and Eddie was in the top 40 in points, top 20 in ice time, top 30 in hits. Not sure why people would be disappointed as you say. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

checked the stats again for last season and Eddie was in the top 40 in points, top 20 in ice time, top 30 in hits. Not sure why people would be disappointed as you say. 

Last season was the best season Edler had in the last five years.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

fewer injuries, no Torts. 

Also no WD.  He wasn't good for AV's last season either, but I thought his physical game really improved once he got Gudbranson as a partner.  Would really like to see that pairing continue going forward.

I think the Sedins absence will be greater off the ice than on it tbh.  That's not a knock on Hank but I think the next captain will be more of a vocal leader on the ice.  The leadership brought by the Sedins off the ice like showing up to camp in impeccable shape, greeting new teammates, etc. will be sorely missed this year but Horvat, Boeser, and co. have been around the twins long enough to know how to somewhat replicate it. 

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Brock wearing a letter sooner rather than later.

I've always objected to this approach. Teams in the NHL seem to want to make their 'stars' wear the letters.

In some markets, it works - drum up interest. But here... what happens when he goes through a funk? He gets pounded by Vancouver media. Has to stand up and listen to the likes of B*tchford rather than cool off and focus on the game. All the **** isn't worth it. It's bad all around. If a guy is a leader in the room, the guys will respond with or without a letter stitched on the front - and with how the 'old boys club' works, having an older veteran as the captain is probably a bit more 'professional' when having to deal with the on-ice officials as well. You see it even on face-offs; the old guys can get a way with much more cheating than the young kids. They've paid their dues - there's no way a referee wants to listen to some yappy 20 year old kid blabbing in his face. They don't want to listen to anybody chirping at them, but especially some hotshot kid.

If Brock is still here when he's 27/28/29 and there's a captaincy/A slot, AND he's a capable leader-type, I could see it then.

Same with Horvat. On the one hand, he's clearly got a lot of the soul of the team, the way he plays. On the other hand, having him HAVE to stand up and answer the same media questions from the same media ***holes night after night when one thing goes wrong... It's less than optimal.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He was also in the top 10 in brain farts:ph34r:.  Why do people hate Edler?  Because one game he looks like a Norris candidate than the next game looks like he doesn't even care about playing hockey anymore.  C'mon, I cannot be the only one seeing this.  Also hate =/= trading for a younger player/draft pick.  I don't hate Edler, I just think his reign with the Canucks was a good one and it's time to move on.  I love Tanev but I feel the same way about him.  We can't hang on to every player until they retire. 

Archived