The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a difference in leadership?

Glug Datt

16 hours ago, Undrafted said:

Well, that was only part of the problem in EDM.  Leadership also comes from the coaching staff and EDM had a revolving door of head coaches during that time.  IIRC (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong), Taylor Hall played under six different head coaches during his time in EDM.  That doesn't do a lot for consistency.

actually yah that's right.. there was 5 coaches in 4 seasons I think.. then Todd..  that's gotta affect team morale, or be confusing at least.   

I remember Ryan Smyth doing a tour of duty there somewhat half-assed and Andrew Ference was brought in, apparently he didn't impress..  hopefully beagle is as advertised

I would much rather see them pass the C to Horvat than anyone, as I think it is the right move, but if they are going with a vet, I sincerely hope it is Gudbranson rather than Sutter or Edler or Tanev. 

The perception of our leadership identity changing to a more aggressive, pack mentality lay it on the line for each other approach matters too.

I think (but hope i am wrong) that Green and Benning will give the C to Sutter, an A to Edler, and an A to Beagle.

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would much rather see them pass the C to Horvat than anyone, as I think it is the right move, but if they are going with a vet, I sincerely hope it is Gudbranson rather than Sutter or Edler or Tanev. 

The perception of our leadership identity changing to a more aggressive, pack mentality lay it on the line for each other approach matters too.

I think (but hope i am wrong) that Green and Benning will give the C to Sutter, an A to Edler, and an A to Beagle.

I think Gudbranson is the only guy in the locker room who has captained a NHL team previously. Even if it was only a season or part of a season, Gerald Gallant saw something in him leadership-wise. The guy might not be the most skilled but he’s a warrior that will battle and care every night. The only other guy I can see at this point that should be considered is probably Horvat. 

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I think Gudbranson is the only guy in the locker room who has captained a NHL team previously. Even if it was only a season or part of a season, Gerald Gallant saw something in him leadership-wise. The guy might not be the most skilled but he’s a warrior that will battle and care every night. The only other guy I can see at this point that should be considered is probably Horvat. 

Brendan Witt 2.0 

On 2018-07-13 at 1:28 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

I feel almost certain at this point, with the rumours that the canucks won't retire the sedins numbers until 2019/20 as part of the 50 year celebration, that the team will go without a captain this year. it makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. 

1. it gives them a trial run to make sure bo is ready before giving him the captaincy

2. they don't have to awkwardly shoehorn in one of the vets as a stopgap measure

3. it acts as a sign of respect to henrik and as a sort of acknowledgment of the end of the era

4. it creates the opportunity for a grandiose ceremony during the home opener of the 50th anniversary season where the sedins have their numbers retired and henrik gets to pass the 'c' on to horvat.

9 hours ago, tas said:

I feel almost certain at this point, with the rumours that the canucks won't retire the sedins numbers until 2019/20 as part of the 50 year celebration, that the team will go without a captain this year. it makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. 

1. it gives them a trial run to make sure bo is ready before giving him the captaincy

2. they don't have to awkwardly shoehorn in one of the vets as a stopgap measure

3. it acts as a sign of respect to henrik and as a sort of acknowledgment of the end of the era

4. it creates the opportunity for a grandiose ceremony during the home opener of the 50th anniversary season where the sedins have their numbers retired and henrik gets to pass the 'c' on to horvat.

makes total sense

Archived