The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Newest) 2018-2019 Time Capsule thread

Rate this topic

Canorth

I love my Canucks, but this year is all about watching the young prospects develop and learning how to play without the Sedins. A new team identity will start to emerge. 

There will be some bloodletting this year.

Guys like Gagner, Erickson, MDZ, etc They are what we thought they are. Time to cut bait and move on. You won’t see any of these guys have a career year.

Scoring will continue to be a problem, even though our pp will continue to outperform other aspects of our game.

Defense and goaltending will continue to be on the bottom 1/3rd of the league.

It all adds up to 29th overall, because, well there is Ottawa and the Habs,.

I am excited to watch Bo and Boes continue to grow and flourish and I super stoked to watch EP40 work his magic.

I think that it’s a make or break season for Jake and I’m hoping that he can put up 20 goals and 20 Gordie Howe hat tricks.

I am really hoping that the injury bug does not hit hard again this year. I would love to see Edler, Guddy, Tanev, Baer and Granny all play 70 plus games this year. If they do, the team has an outside shot at a wild card. Unfortunately we have seen these guys go down for long stretches over the past few years, and that has been a major problem.

I don’t see things changing on the injury front, hence my prediction of 29th overall.

I think that the Sharks will beat the Laffs to win lord Stanley’s chalice.

Edmonton and Winnipeg will be the other CDN teams in the playoffs - sorry Lames.

TBL BOS and Pitts will also perform well in the playoffs 

Eriksson scores 20+

Boeser scores 40+

Virtanen gets big hit on McDavid

Pettersson gets 70+ points

Horvat named captain

Toronto trades for Tanev

Edler gets traded 

Demko takes over at some point

Baertschi and Hutton get traded

We don't finish last, but win the lottery

Sharks beat Lightning in 7 game thriller

Edited by Brock Botanen

Well, never done this before, but typically I over-estimate how well we will do.  This year however Im prepaired for the worst (or best depending on how you see it)

Petterson - at least 40 points I suspect about 55.

Boeser.  Bulk, surgery, and concern after last season lead to the sophmore slump.  Further, shooting % drops.  No worriea though, he comes back and still breaks 30g and 50pts.

Horvat will be 40-50.

Baer is going to hit 20 goals even more assists.

I expect Virt and Goldie will both have career years although I expect they will both go on a run and then either struggle with complacency or some form of drought.  I expect Goldie to show us some more confidence this year and start to show a more even play.  Unfortunately I dont expect the same for Virt.

Leipsic breaks 35pts but most are assists.

Erickson, Gagne, Granlund all have low point seasons and the first two struggle defensively with double digit gf/ga.

3 new vets - Beagle plays decently and chews up minutes.  The other 2 keep the "bad signings vs playing young) convo going all year.

Motte gets in at beginning or fairly early in season and sticks...becomes a fan favorite for his energy.

Hutton has a comeback year but still suffers with a few lapses in judgement , however hits 15 pts.

Edler builds off and matches last year 

Tanev gets injured early and often...but still manages 60 games.

Stretch improves on last season, Del zotto doesnt. 

Joulevi gets called up and sticks.  Not a lot of points but good defensive stats.

Gurb.... unfortunately continues his poor defensive trend.

Markstrome plays decently but doesnt steal games.  Nilsson doesnt do either.

72pts - 2nd to last.   We don't care we win the draft lottery.  Jack and Quinn play next year....

On 09/07/2018 at 7:54 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Reserved.

On 09/07/2018 at 8:09 PM, Zhukini said:

Reserve

On 09/07/2018 at 8:12 PM, Sygvard said:

Reserved

On 09/07/2018 at 8:20 PM, Pears said:

Reserved

On 09/07/2018 at 9:04 PM, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Reserved

On 09/07/2018 at 9:13 PM, Darius said:

reserved.

On 09/07/2018 at 10:48 PM, Deathbyoompa said:

Preserved

On 10/07/2018 at 7:00 AM, shayster007 said:

I'll think about it 

On 20/07/2018 at 10:02 AM, FilthyRich said:

This spot is claimed.

On 07/08/2018 at 11:10 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

Reserved

On 27/08/2018 at 9:16 AM, Caknuckle Puck said:

reserved

On 01/09/2018 at 9:58 AM, ruilin96 said:

Reserve

On 12/09/2018 at 10:21 PM, JamesB said:

Reserved

On 27/09/2018 at 1:15 PM, cory40 said:

hmmmm

Just a reminder to get your predictions in before lock down, October 3 at 7:00 PM

Edited by Canorth
  • Thanks 1

Boeser will get 39 goals 40 assists 79 points but has a slow start

Horvat will get 28 goals 36 assists  64 points 

Baertschi will get 26 and 34 assists 60 points

Goldobin will get 26 goals 14 assists   40 points

Virtanen will get 19 goals and 8 assists and come into form as a solid player 27 points

Pettersson will 27 goals and 74 assists   101 points and win the Calder and be a selke finalist.

The Canucks have a shot at making the play-off's, The team struggles at first but finds their bearings about the same time Pettersson becomes a force around the 10 game mark.

A big trade happens that make fans wonder if the Canucks and ownership are on the same page with the rebuild. After grumbling for months and TSN mocking the management the Canucks put a string of wins together that has fans and media speechless.

Actually the only prediction I am confident about is Elias.

• Haha 3

• Canucks have a tough start (6-12-2) 
  • Benning makes a controversial trade that includes a valued prospect
  • Boeser hits 30g by the trade deadline
  • Pettersson misses several weeks due to injury, but still finishes with 60+ pts.
  • Edler shows well in his contract year
  • On October 18, Eriksson retires from the NHL to be a full time product sampler for Canopy Growth
  • Canucks finish 3rd last,  draw the 3 spot in the lottery and take Phillip Broberg

Edited by Kenny Powers

19 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:
  • Pettersson misses several weeks due to industry, but still finishes with 60+ pts.
  • On October 18, Eriksson retires from the NHL to be a full time product sampler for Canopy Growth
  • Canucks finish 3rd last,  draw the 3 spot in the lottery and take Phillip Broberg

Looks good except the injury. I hope not.

Edited by cory40
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:
  • Pettersson misses several weeks due to industry, but still finishes with 60+ pts.

8 hours ago, cory40 said:

I like your predictions but find it really sad you would predict a injury. Even if your right. Really sad you would pen it based on Elias Thumb injury? Other wise a healthy smart kid, And if your wrong you should apologize for that statement. I wish we had the thumbs down button because you deserve a few. 

Is industry the same as injury?

• Cheers 1

Canucks finish bottom 5

Boeser 30+ goals

Pettersson 60+ points and calder finalist, possibly our lone rep at the all star game

Horvat another 50+ point season

Top 10 PP

Top 15 PK

Bottom of league in GAA

Hopefully some trades at the deadline

Nilson

Edler

MDZ

Gags if anyone will take him

EP40 gets 40 points

LE gets 20 goals

BB leads team in points with 56

Goaltending is atrocious

I complain about Edler still being on team. With random complaints about Roussel being on team.

Canucks will be lowest scoring team in the league

Edm and Calgary back into the playoffs

Out on a limb big projection. Vegas does not make playoffs.

Pittsburgh wins Cup over San Jose

Edited by Shift-4

-Canucks finish bottom 2 in the standings.

- Boeser is affected by sophomore jinx.

- Pettersson exceeds expectations and finishes with 65 points.

- Edler puts up 20 points and is injured prior to trade deadline. Canucks finally close the chapter on him.

- Demko is starter by the end of the season. 

- we lose the lottery again but trade up to get Hughes. (The cost hurts us, but the potential is Huge).

After starting the first 26 games (17 of which are on the road) with a record of 7-16-3, we get one more point than games the rest of the way (57 points on a 25-24-7 record) for a final record of 32-40-10.

Petersson leads the club in scoring overall, with 71 points (24G 47A). He finishes second in rookie voting, plays in the All-Star game and turns Ekblad inside-out on a deke in that game, drawing praise from everyone (except Ekblad, who now has a severely sprained ankle and even worse sprained ego)

Boeser leads the club in goals with 37

Stetch leads the D in scoring with 28 (4G 24A)

Baer gets his first 20 goal year, finishing with 22

Horvat makes it 4 20 goal scorers, finishing with 25G 36A 61P. He is also chosen as Captain

Edler, MDZ, Granlund, Gagner, Pouliot and Nilsson are all traded at some point; no great returns from any of them, but it does clear the way for Juolevi to play the rest of the way after the TDL, before going back to Utica to help them win the Calder

Gaudette, McEneny, MacEwen, Thatcher, Archie, Chatfield and Brisebois all see at least 5 games in Vancouver

Beagle gets infected by the Vancouver injury bug and misses the last 50 games

Rousell gets another concussion, and misses the last 25 games

Markie is Ok, at best, all year; not as many easy goals to start the game, but never really goes on a hot streak

Guddy and Tanev both, miraculously, play 72+ games each...and neither score more than 2 goals

Hutton improves dramatically

Eriksson continues to devolve into Patrick White

We, of course, don't get the 1st (or 2nd, or 3rd) overall pick...but we get the best D man in the draft to go with a now steady Juolevi and flashy Hughes to start (finally!) solidifying our D.

Goldobin and Leipsig alternate good and god-awful all year. Goldy is traded after the season

At lastly...Virt improves a little more, finishing with 15 goals, along with a collision with Ovechkin that dumps both of them on the ass, making Sports Center and goes viral on YouTube, Twitter and every other social media program

Brutal preseason has me thinking a little less optimistic. 

However I still think this team has a shot at the playoffs. 

From what I have seen these guys are on the verge of breaking out. They need to get a win or two to get some confidence. 

Prediction is a bubble playoff team. 

My Predictions: 

For Canucks:

-Bo is named Captain

-Canucks have a slow start but then mesh and continually gain momentum through the rest of the season. 

-Most players have a career year as they fight to maintain their positions. 

-Canucks make or miss the playoffs by two points. 

-We do not win the draft lottery (If Eligible)

-The games are exciting and uptempo. Questionable defense and goal tending makes the games close.

-Benning makes three trades. One trade is for a defensemen to steady our back end and involves a prospect over rated by many. Each trade causes CDC to erupt in typical fashion

-We get one extra pick for the 2019 draft

-Benning goes off the board with his first round pick

Other teams:

-Flames miss the playoffs

-Sens miss the playoffs

-Knights miss the playoffs

-Canadiens miss the playoffs

-Leafs can once again do no wrong

-Oilers make the playoffs

-Jets make the playoffs

-Capitals get eliminated in the first round

I know preseason was bad but I believe the team will be much better than most expect. Here's hoping they prove me right!

• Cheers 1