The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Going to Vancouver for the Sedin's Jersey Retirement

Goat James

Heyo!

So obviously the team hasn't announced at what game the Sedins will have their jerseys retired, but we all know it's going to happen this year. I've been a Sedin fan ever since they played for Modo, and became a Canucks and NHL fan when they moved over here, so being in Vancouver for their retirement would mean a lot to me. Me and my girlfriend have been talking about making the trip over from Sweden for it, do you guys think it'd be possible (affordable) for us to get a pair of tickets to the game that night, after the fact that it's announced that they're gonna have their ceremony that night? I was thinking that we'd use Airbnb for a place to stay, is that the best choice or do you have another suggestion? Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

I'm going to make a good guess that tickets for that game will be a minimum $150 CAD for upper bowl if purchasing through Ticketmaster and other third party ticket resellers. If the last two home games of last year were any indication of how crazy the market is for the Sedins and how expensive the tickets were, I'd say be prepared to get tickets early and quick and try not to be picky about seats because they'll be sold out within minutes.

I still think that the Canucks are going to retire their numbers seperately on the Dec 15/16 weekend games.

Henrik will have his number retired on Dec 15 against Philadelphia, and Daniel will have his number retired on Dec 16 against Edmonton.

That's how I would do it if I were the canucks organization. Make an entire weekend out of it to celebrate the Sedins. Plus, those games are in the middle of a long home stretch and it's around the holidays, which means great time to sell merchandise. Just think about it... 10 days before christmas... they can fill the Canucks store with all kinds of Sedins memorabilia and merchandise and blow it out.

4 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I still think that the Canucks are going to retire their numbers seperately on the Dec 15/16 weekend games.

Henrik will have his number retired on Dec 15 against Philadelphia, and Daniel will have his number retired on Dec 16 against Edmonton.

That's how I would do it if I were the canucks organization. Make an entire weekend out of it to celebrate the Sedins. Plus, those games are in the middle of a long home stretch and it's around the holidays, which means great time to sell merchandise. Just think about it... 10 days before christmas... they can fill the Canucks store with all kinds of Sedins memorabilia and merchandise and blow it out.

I like the way you think Donald.

2 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

While it's a great idea, I can't see them retiring the numbers on different days. It'll be in one ceremony with plenty of alumni in attendance.

39 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While it's a great idea, I can't see them retiring the numbers on different days. It'll be in one ceremony with plenty of alumni in attendance.

I agree but making it a 2 day event sure has a lot of pluses. From an economic standpoint they would have 2x the TV ratings, probably sell twice the merchandise and also be able to give each Sedin their own night. Both these guys have 1000 points, they deserve their own 10 minute highlight reels each. But yeah... I don't see this current organization thinking outside the box this much. 

9 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I agree but making it a 2 day event sure has a lot of pluses. From an economic standpoint they would have 2x the TV ratings, probably sell twice the merchandise and also be able to give each Sedin their own night. Both these guys have 1000 points, they deserve their own 10 minute highlight reels each. But yeah... I don't see this current organization thinking outside the box this much. 

this exactly.. while it's hard to think of separating the boys for anything, to honor them both properly would take too long.. those ceremonies tend to upset the energy of the game as it is, let alone a double dip.

has any other team retired multiple jerseys on the same night?

6 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

has any other team retired multiple jerseys on the same night?

Not that I know of. I think it sucks that the Sedins are considered 1 entity. That's dumb. No other brothers-duo has been considered a single entity. There's even talk of inducting them into the hall of fame together presumably so they don't need to waste 2 ballots. What a joke. These guys deserve more respect.

11 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

By doing it seperate it just doesnt sound right. Especially for 2 guys that did everything together. 

It would be weird having both thr familes for the ceremonies on back to back retirements.

34 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

By doing it seperate it just doesnt sound right. Especially for 2 guys that did everything together. 

It would be weird having both thr familes for the ceremonies on back to back retirements.

I agree. But I imagine the organization will ask the twins what they prefer. I say jerseys retired together. Next stop Hall of Fame together. 

Tickets will be expensive.  What you want to do is somehow the instant the date(s) are announced.  Is rush over to ticket exchange or stubhub and buy ASAP.

I don't think it will be a big enough event that hotels will be jacking up prices though.

I could see tickets starting around $200.

The Canucks are actually very good at keeping secrets.  They didn't leak the retirement.  Tickets didn't start to go crazy till the announcement.

If people knew the night before, tickets would have started moving sooner.  Just knowing an hour early they were going to retire.  You could have made thousands flipping tickets.

On 2018-07-10 at 10:15 AM, DonaldBrashear said:

Each of their 10 minute highlight packages will be 90% of passes coming from the other one though haha

Archived