The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] Tyler Johnson

With Tampa in a bit of a cap crunch right now with them having re-signed Kucherov and being reported to be in on Karlsson, they’ll have to clear out a good chunk of cap space. This brings my attention to 27 year old centre Tyler Johnson. He’s a little on the small side at 5’8”, but he can produce. But, as mentioned, Tampa needs to dump cap so they might not get as much value back for Johnson as they would otherwise. What would be a fair offer for him?

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

He seems to be a popular target, but he has a NTC. Can't see him waiving it to come here.

Even if he did, they'd probably want Dahlen or Gaudette involved. I don't think we're the right trading partner for them.

Isn't he from Spokane, Wa? He'd be as close to home as he could get.

If they just need to dump him he could maybe be had for cheap. Think Ehrhoff for Rahimi and White. That was only possible because the Sharks had to clear cap to sign Dany Heatley.

8 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

We'd have to swallow Callahan to get Johnson with him. 

If I'm JB I'd do it in a second. Callahan only has a few years left on his deal and Johnson slots in as a good 2C which gives Pettersson more time to develop. 

We for sure have the cap to take on Callahan and I think doing so would lead us to not giving up as much as we would have otherwise. 

28 minutes ago, Pears said:

With Tampa in a bit of a cap crunch right now with them having re-signed Kucherov and being reported to be in on Karlsson, they’ll have to clear out a good chunk of cap space. This brings my attention to 27 year old centre Tyler Johnson. He’s a little on the small side at 5’8”, but he can produce. But, as mentioned, Tampa needs to dump cap so they might not get as much value back for Johnson as they would otherwise. What would be a fair offer for him?

Was thinking this could be a good move for a skilled top six guy. With his NTC kicking in on July 1st not sure he leaves a contender to come to the Canucks. Would love it though as I think this is exactly the kind of player the Canucks need.

28 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

If they just need to dump him he could maybe be had for cheap. Think Ehrhoff for Rahimi and White. That was only possible because the Sharks had to clear cap to sign Dany Heatley.

So how about something like:  Gaunce + our extra 6th in 2019 for Johnson and Callahan?  We get Johnson.  The Lightening get Karlsson.  And the Leafs ... get SCREWED!!!  :towel:

1 hour ago, babalu said:

Was thinking this could be a good move for a skilled top six guy. With his NTC kicking in on July 1st not sure he leaves a contender to come to the Canucks. Would love it though as I think this is exactly the kind of player the Canucks need.

Tampa is so loaded with great Cs, Johnson is about their 4th best now.  He may like the idea going to a team where he can be the #2 again.  I don't really like his small stature for our (rather soft) top 6, but his cap hit is pretty good. 

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

But who wants to leave Tampa, beautiful weather and women plus he has a shot at the cup . I don’t see him waiving tbh it would be more feasible if he had already secured a ring 

Getting Johnson or Callahan makes no sense.

If the Canucks are hard-pressed to find a 2C, they need not look passed Pettersson. I give him 10-15 games and he's established as the uncontested 2C at the very least.

16 minutes ago, Me_ said:

If the Canucks are hard-pressed to find a 2C, they need not look passed Pettersson. I give him 10-15 games and he's established as the uncontested 2C at the very least.

Trade for Johnson and Callahan, send Pettersson and Gaudette to Utica.

:wacko:

19 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I believe Johnson has mostly played wing in Tampa but can play centre. So it would be adding a skilled guy to our top six that could play with Pettersson even if he plays centre eventually. I wouldn't mind it if we can unload some of our logjam of forwards to make room. Not wild about the idea of taking on Callahan though.

3 hours ago, babalu said:

I believe Johnson has mostly played wing in Tampa but can play centre. So it would be adding a skilled guy to our top six that could play with Pettersson even if he plays centre eventually. I wouldn't mind it if we can unload some of our logjam of forwards to make room. Not wild about the idea of taking on Callahan though.

He was 3rd in face-offs taken behind Point and Stamkos last year.

At one point in time I'd have been interested in TJ.   Now I'm thinking just play the kids already instead of pushing them further down/out of the lineup. If they're as close as JB thinks they are it shouldn't take years for them to establish their roles.

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

At one point in time I'd have been interested in TJ.   Now I'm thinking just play the kids already instead of pushing them further down/out of the lineup. If they're as close as JB thinks they are it shouldn't take years for them to establish their roles.

I'm all for playing the kids. I just think maybe we could use at least one more skilled player in the top six. Not sure we want Sutter as our 2C. I feel we have too many middle six players and should think about moving some players to make room.

Archived