The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] Tyler Johnson

4 hours ago, PlanB said:

At one point in time I'd have been interested in TJ.   Now I'm thinking just play the kids already instead of pushing them further down/out of the lineup. If they're as close as JB thinks they are it shouldn't take years for them to establish their roles.

But what if JB could swap Gagner ($3m) & Gaunce ($1m) for Johnson ($5m) & Callahan ($6m) and a pick ?

For us that's one less fwd (buyout Callahan) and we'd have a legit young 2C that could insulate Pettersson's transition to C.

TB would get about $7m in cap relief (Helloo Karlsson!)

First of all, Tampa currently has 2.6M$ in cap space with the maximum of 23 roster spots.  They have a full year to dump both Johnson and Callahan, therefore no rush.  They won't sell Johnson rightaway, at least not at a huge discount and I doubt someone will take callahan with Johnson.  I think if Johnson is traded it will be a hockey deal...for someone to shore up Tampa's 2nd pair of defense or a solid 3rd line player, with a lower cap hit.  So Johnson could be a huge asset for Tampa at the deadline.

Also, Ottawa's center line is currently formed by Duchene, Smith, Pageau, Tom Pyatt and two prospects White and Brown.  I think if Tampa is getting Karlsson, Johnson must be part of the return.  Ottawa currently sits at 61M.  Salary cap floor is 58.8M, they can't trade Karlsson's 6.5M salary for pick and prospects only.  Plus they will give Colorado their 1st pick next year, why not try and be competitive with Johnson if your going to trade Karlsson.   Plus his salary his manageable for their internal cap.  Johnson could also refuse to go to Ottawa, but if Tampa doesn't want him and he's getting leapfrogged by player like Point, Gourde....why not go to Ottawa and have all the ice-time he wants.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

....why not go to Ottawa and have all the ice-time he wants.

1.  The team he's on is the only team he's ever played for. 

2.  The team he's on is a powerhouse in their conference, and likely will be for some time. 

3.  Ottawa sucks on the ice.

4.  Off the ice the Ottawa franchise is a bad soap opera. 

5.  Ottawa's owner is a moron.

6.  He'd lose hella money through taxes by moving to Ontario

7.  Trump's invading Canada in a week or so. Was just waiting for those kids to get out of that cave. 

8.  Need more reasons....?

30 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

1.  The team he's on is the only team he's ever played for. 

2.  The team he's on is a powerhouse in their conference, and likely will be for some time. 

3.  Ottawa sucks on the ice.

4.  Off the ice the Ottawa franchise is a bad soap opera. 

5.  Ottawa's owner is a moron.

6.  He'd lose hella money through taxes by moving to Ontario

7.  Trump's invading Canada in a week or so. Was just waiting for those kids to get out of that cave. 

8.  Need more reasons....?

A lot of you reasons could also apply to the Canucks, therefore he won't be coming here either.

20 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Isn't he from Spokane, Wa? He'd be as close to home as he could get.

If they just need to dump him he could maybe be had for cheap. Think Ehrhoff for Rahimi and White. That was only possible because the Sharks had to clear cap to sign Dany Heatley.

Maybe Tampa is considering keeping Johnson to expose for the expansion draft? Local guy that would be a 2C and potentially 1C if no one else as good as him is available. Might be worth it for Tampa to hang onto him to protect all of their other players.

Coburn, Girardi and Stralman's contracts are done after this season (over 11 million in cap savings that can go towards Karlsson), will need replacement guys and maybe hope they can bring back Stralman for cheap. Imagine if they do acquire Karlsson though, it won't really matter who else is on D when they have Hedman, Karlsson and MacDonagh eating up most of the minutes anyway. The year after, Callahan and the buyout for Carle is off the books to save them almost another 8 million to re-sign Vasilevskiy, etc. Plus the cap can continue to go up. It's kind of making me jealous how amazing of a team Tampa could potentially have while having the assets to acquire a top prize like Karlsson and still make it work cap-wise. Sigh.

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎10 at 6:25 PM, morrissex95 said:

We'd have to swallow Callahan to get Johnson with him. 

If I'm JB I'd do it in a second. Callahan only has a few years left on his deal and Johnson slots in as a good 2C which gives Pettersson more time to develop. 

Why would we want to do this with the back log we already have at FWD. I'm fine leaving the FWD corps alone unless we a dealing for picks / prospects.

31 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Why would we want to do this with the back log we already have at FWD. I'm fine leaving the FWD corps alone unless we a dealing for picks / prospects.

Gives our younger players more time to marinate. You can't overdevelop players before they hit the NHL. I'm just thinking Elias Pettersson needs more time and so does Dahlen. 

23 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Gives our younger players more time to marinate. You can't overdevelop players before they hit the NHL. I'm just thinking Elias Pettersson needs more time and so does Dahlen. 

The SHL is a higher caliber league than the AHL which Pettersson historically dominated. You don't develop players by not challenging them. I assume Dahlen will play in the AHL before making the jump. Even if you subtract Pete and Dahlen the roster is still full up.

Bae Bo Boeser

Gran Sutter Loui

Roussel Beagle Virtanen

Schaller Gaunce Gagner

That's not even counting Leipsic, Goldy, Motte, Kero, Gaudette who have all shown that they can hang in the NHL. I see zero benefit to adding 2 more nhl forwards to that list especially one being a cap dump. I don't see where to slot Johnson in let alone Callahan. Big no from me.   

On 7/10/2018 at 6:58 PM, Alflives said:

So how about something like:  Gaunce + our extra 6th in 2019 for Johnson and Callahan?  We get Johnson.  The Lightening get Karlsson.  And the Leafs ... get SCREWED!!!  :towel:

Works for me!

Somebody get Jim on the horn and see if he can make it happen :)

23 minutes ago, hammertime said:

The SHL is a higher caliber league than the AHL which Pettersson historically dominated. You don't develop players by not challenging them. I assume Dahlen will play in the AHL before making the jump. Even if you subtract Pete and Dahlen the roster is still full up.

Bae Bo Boeser

Gran Sutter Loui

Roussel Beagle Virtanen

Schaller Gaunce Gagner

That's not even counting Leipsic, Goldy, Motte, Kero, Gaudette who have all shown that they can hang in the NHL. I see zero benefit to adding 2 more nhl forwards to that list especially one being a cap dump. I don't see where to slot Johnson in let alone Callahan. Big no from me.   

Trust me we've got plenty of room to add Johnson and Callahan if need be. We can just move some guys or send some guys to Utica. 

the AHL is a North American-style league while the SHL has a much larger ice surface. Plus in the SHL Pettersson spent some time on the wing while we need him to be a full time centre. 

Playing him as a full time centre on a North American ice surface wouldn't hurt his development at all. 

8 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Trust me we've got plenty of room to add Johnson and Callahan if need be. We can just move some guys or send some guys to Utica. 

the AHL is a North American-style league while the SHL has a much larger ice surface. Plus in the SHL Pettersson spent some time on the wing while we need him to be a full time centre. 

Playing him as a full time centre on a North American ice surface wouldn't hurt his development at all. 

I can't imagine Pete starts out as a C. He will cut his teeth playing with Sutter or Bo.  

For your reference the Ice surface isn't as big an issue as people like to make it. His hockey IQ doesn't change.

See the source image

25 minutes ago, Monty said:

Historically a terrific playoff performer.

So he wouldn’t help the Canucks.

Yes, he is a good player, but he is a top six guy, who definitely would be blocking our youth.  Plus, we are still rebuilding, and TJ would be better suited for a team that’s already competing.  I think he’d be great in Winnipeg as a replacement for PS.  And the Jets can afford the assets to get him.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yes, he is a good player, but he is a top six guy, who definitely would be blocking our youth.  Plus, we are still rebuilding, and TJ would be better suited for a team that’s already competing.  I think he’d be great in Winnipeg as a replacement for PS.  And the Jets can afford the assets to get him.  

At this point, I think Winnipeg has moved on from an established center after failing to lock up PS. My understanding is they will test out Roslovic at the beginning of the season and hope he can establish chemistry with Laine and Ehlers. If not, then they’ll immediately try out Little again. 

I like Johnson a lot, but the reason why the Jets were willing to risk giving Stastny the money (I was afraid) they would give him, was that he showed he had chemistry with those two. However, before trading for him, the Jets were one of the top teams already, spending a lot of money isn’t necessary at this point. Not until they lock up Trouba, Morrissey, and Lowry. Once they know what their cap looks like going forward, then they should look at taking on someone’s cap, like Johnson.

Archived