The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes Vs Rasmus Dahlin!

SuperJr

Rasmus Dahlin could simply be the best Dman prospect ever and some already label him as a generational talent, before he even step on a NHL rink. There is so much hype around Dahlin. In a similar fashion, the Canucks Nation is hyping our newest rock star Quinn Hughes. Yes, Dahlin is more hyped and is definitely a better prospect then Hughes, but what are the differences between the two? The obvious is Dahlin's overall size and plays more of a physical game compared to Hughes. But beside the obivious, when we look at hockey IQ, skating and overall offensive game is Hughes far off from Dahlin? First of all, I believe Hughes is at less at par in hockey IQ. Secondly, I also believe Hughes overall skating is a hair better. Finally, they both will have a huge impact on the offensive end for their teams. So what you guys think? What makes Dahlin that much better then Hughes?

• Wat 9
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

oh well

let's just do it then

without any info about either player's ability at the nhl level

dahlin has size and a real shot .. is on par with hughes on other skills...

that's what i have learned from not seeing either player

anyone else able to add anything without seeing either player play in the nhl ?

(but i'm damn sure i'm right :wub: )

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SuperJr said:

Rasmus Dahlin could simply be the best Dman prospect ever and some already label him as a generational talent, before he even step on a NHL rink. There is so much hype around Dahlin. In a similar fashion, the Canucks Nation is hyping our newest rock star Quinn Hughes. Yes, Dahlin is more hyped and is definitely a better prospect then Hughes, but what are the differences between the two? The obvious is Dahlin's overall size and plays more of a physical game compared to Hughes. But beside the obivious, when we look at hockey IQ, skating and overall offensive game is Hughes far off from Dahlin? First of all, I believe Hughes is at less at par in hockey IQ. Secondly, I also believe Hughes overall skating is a hair better. Finally, they both will have a huge impact on the offensive end for their teams. So what you guys think? What makes Dahlin that much better then Hughes?

Size is the reason for Dahlin being higher ranked. I am not just saying that because Quinn is a Canuck, I have been pumping his tires all season.

Oh yeah just his size and shot. No big deal lol

Dahlin has fairly significant advantages over Hughes in both of these areas.  Dahlin is also about half a year younger than Hughes.

I love Quinn Hughes! I'm very hyped on him.  However I don't think he's quite as close to Dahlin as some of you apparently do.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

29 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

Dahlin = Karlsson

Hughes = Keith

If this is true, both have 2 Norris Trophys so the debate is reasonable.  I think that it would be reasonable to say that Hughes wins on overall skating (by a bit) and I would venture to say that his hockey IQ is a tad higher as, with his size he has to use use more strategy as to how to get around and defend.  Hughes averaged .78 ppg in the NCAA in his draft year, Dahlin .49 ppg in the SHL.  Hughes was +14 and Dahlin was +4.  Dahlin is bigger, has a bigger reach and a bigger shot.  Dahlin is considered by experts across the board to be on par with McDavid as a generational talent.  Hughes is considered a potential star.  When you look at it that way, it looks like a semi-reasonable debate.

However, the way you tell how valid your debate is, is to ask the other 29 fanbases who didn't draft Dahlin.  They would laugh you off the message board.  

Furthermore, had we won the lottery, we would be belly laughing at anybody who tried to make the debate.

Having said all that, go Hughes!

• Upvote 4

Dahlin - Elite skating and has the ability to skate fast with the puck, stick handle through people at high speeds, good shot and finishing ability, elite IQ and ability to make the smart play when pressured. Has size and ability to play good defence. Pure quarterback and playmaker. Always wants the puck on his stick. 

Q. Hughes - Elite skating (better than Dahlin) and has the ability to skate fast with the puck and stick handle through people at high speeds. Mitts not as silky as Dahlin. Ok shot and finishing ability. Good IQ and elite mental strength.. Small size and uses high IQ to make smart defensive plays, Pure quarterback who always wants the puck on his stick.

Imo Hughes would pair great with a defensively minded defence man with a really good shot who Hughes can get the puck to. 

• Upvote 2