The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes Vs Rasmus Dahlin!

SuperJr

26 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Don't know, how many have you asked?   Thing is, you are comparing better as 17/18 year olds and it is not an exact science.   I think this is a bit of a silly thing to do (compare like this in terms of "better") but certainly professional scouts who are paid to evaluate amateur talent are, per your point, likely better judges than most but even they are human and when you are projecting something you are not always right.

For example, for the "better than" as you ask do you mean the same pro scouts who thought:

• Bobby Ryan was better than Anze Kopitar
  • Rick DiPeitro was better than Dany Heatley or Marian Gaborik
  • Rick Nash was better than Duncan Keith
  • Erik Johnson was better than Joanthan Toews or Nicklas Backstrom or Phil Kessel or Claude Giroux
  • Patrick Kane was better than Sam Gagner (ooops, they nailed that one) or Patrick White (oops, nevermind...screw 2007, it isn't helping me make a point)
  • RNH was better than Gabriel Landeskog or Mark Scheifele or Dougie Hamilton
  • Nail Yakupov was better than, well, do I really need to name another player in the first round?
  • Jonathan Drouin was better than Bo Horvat
  • Owen Nolan was better than Jaromir Jagr
  • Alexander Daigle was better than Chris Pronger or Paul Kariya 
  • Bryan Berard was better than Jerome Iginla

Anyway, you get the point.   All about projection.  Most certainly one has a higher projection right now but to say they will be better - takes a crystal ball and history shows those can be murky.

Yeah. I am talking about right now. Right now every NHL scout says Dahlin is the top D prospect without doubt.

Does that mean that cannot change over time? Of course not. I am still thrilled we have Hughes.

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yeah. I am talking about right now. Right now every NHL scout says Dahlin is the top D prospect without doubt.

Does that mean that cannot change over time? Of course not. I am still thrilled we have Hughes.

I think if you stopped with "top D prospect" that would work but it when you add "without doubt" that you won't get me or, likely, many professionals scouts to agree with you.   That list I put up there is the "doubt" that EVERY scout has.   There is certainly doubt about Dahlin.   He is not perfect.   He could have a lingering injury hit him next week and derail his career.   He may find the NHL game one step above his processing ability.  He may cash his first cheque or three and find something outside of hockey that takes over.    All very unlikely but those have happened to other players.   

He was the number pick for a reason.   There remains doubt that he will be all he is hyped to be.   Of course there is.

On 2018-07-12 at 5:55 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Looks like the Oilers borrowed the drafting model of the early 90s Sens lol 

Top 4 picks year after year, that never amounted to much.

92 - Yashin (#2)

93 - Daigle (#1)

94 - Bonk (#4) (he actually did well in the NHL)

95 - Berard (#1) (never played one game as a Sen)

Yashin had his issues with management but it never affected him with his teammates or his production.   For a while he was one of the best players in the league, which is why when he did get traded NYI threw ridiculous money at him (which they finally finished paying just a short while ago).  They also ended up with Chara but of course screwed up on that one too...definitely get your point about not doing well with some of their picks.  Hossa, Spezza and Alfie weren't all bad either, and when they were at their prime OTT was one of the best teams in the league for a couple years, with one final appearance.  

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Don't know, how many have you asked?   Thing is, you are comparing better as 17/18 year olds and it is not an exact science.   I think this is a bit of a silly thing to do (compare like this in terms of "better") but certainly professional scouts who are paid to evaluate amateur talent are, per your point, likely better judges than most but even they are human and when you are projecting something you are not always right.

For example, for the "better than" as you ask do you mean the same pro scouts who thought:

• Bobby Ryan was better than Anze Kopitar
  • Rick DiPeitro was better than Dany Heatley or Marian Gaborik
  • Rick Nash was better than Duncan Keith
  • Erik Johnson was better than Joanthan Toews or Nicklas Backstrom or Phil Kessel or Claude Giroux
  • Patrick Kane was better than Sam Gagner (ooops, they nailed that one) or Patrick White (oops, nevermind...screw 2007, it isn't helping me make a point)
  • RNH was better than Gabriel Landeskog or Mark Scheifele or Dougie Hamilton
  • Nail Yakupov was better than, well, do I really need to name another player in the first round?
  • Jonathan Drouin was better than Bo Horvat
  • Owen Nolan was better than Jaromir Jagr
  • Alexander Daigle was better than Chris Pronger or Paul Kariya 
  • Bryan Berard was better than Jerome Iginla

Anyway, you get the point.   All about projection.  Most certainly one has a higher projection right now but to say they will be better - takes a crystal ball and history shows those can be murky.

Good point Zepp.  Every year the draft order would change quite a bit even in the upper first round, not as much with the first overalls, but there are examples and none are a better warning then Daigle given he was also touted as a generational talent, the best player since Lindros (and hyped almsot as much, his junior numbers were sick).  Yakupov was a swing and a miss, but he outscored Svecknikov so it's not like it he wasn't expected to succeed.  

That said history also shows that with the hype, usually there is substance more often than not.  Mathews, McDavid and maybe Eichel are recent examples of similar hype, before that we'd have to go back to Crosby and Ovi.  All these guys were big hits...the odds are definitely in favour of Dahlin to become one heck of a defenseman.  This year had quite a few other highly touted D, it could end up similar to the year Doughty was drafted with the sheer number of very good-elite defenseman entering the league and it will be interesting to look back 5-7 years from now and see who really got it right, there will be some surprises for sure.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Have another beer?    Yes very scout says that?? For sure...

I am saying scout are also say that there so close in skill, Hugh is a better skater with speed???????

Scout was saying if Hughes was 3 inches taller he would be first?????? Thats all I was saying? The height is what separated them... Okay don't go compare Bobby Orr to Brad Park now???????

Don't need all your past comparisons that was off the wall...lol lol lol lol 

15 hours ago, wildcam said:

The big reason Dahlin is rated higher then Hughes is his size???????????????

If Hughes is 6'1, 190 he would of been #1 with the skating and skill he has..

Dahlin 6'1 190 has great skill, Skating and speed are not as good as Hughes but the size separates them going 1st overall in the draft....

No question if Quinn Hughes was 6'1 he would of been #1 Overall no question...

Hughes 5'10, 168 lbs,  Its all good we have a player that fans will be so excited to watch for 10-14 years..

See Hughes putting up 50 point season's in 2-3 years, so excited to watch this amazing skater dance around players and set up scoring chances... Go Canucks Go

At least Google Dahlin before you pretend to be an authority.  At the NHL combine he was measured in at a hair under 6' 3", not 6' 1".  ....And yes, before you say what others say when they are called out on their lack of knowledge, there's a difference in those extra couple inches when it comes to defensemen.

I haven't bothered chiming in this thread because it's just another CDC tire pumping of a prospect.  If JB had taken Boqvist instead of Hughes, it would be the same thread sans the name.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

At least Google Dahlin before you pretend to be an authority.  At the NHL combine he was measured in at a hair under 6' 3", not 6' 1".  ....And yes, before you say what others say when they are called out on their lack of knowledge, there's a difference in those extra couple inches when it comes to defensemen.

I haven't bothered chiming in this thread because it's just another CDC tire pumping of a prospect.  If JB had taken Boqvist instead of Hughes, it would be the same thread sans the name.

Dahlin will be a solid top pair.

Hughes is a phenom.  

On 7/11/2018 at 11:53 PM, N4ZZY said:

Is this seriously a question and debate? 

Dahlin without question is the better dman. I love Quinn, and I love the Canucks. But let's be real here. 

There's a reason why Dahlin is the #1 overall pick in a deep draft. Quinn will be very good, but Dahlin is borderline if not there already, elite. He is phenomenal. And he's going to win Rookie Of The Year. Buffalo's going to be a very good team because they've finally got a number one dman in their system. 

Comparing the two is ridiculous, cause, well, imo, there's no question who's the better player. Dahlin has a much better shot, stickhandles like there's no tomorrow, and his skating isn't bad at all. Hughes may have the slight edge, but what's that saying? They're both very good skaters. Dahlin at the end of the day, every single damn day. 

not so sure about that

dmen always take just a little bit longer to develop and adjust

he is a good candidate to win, but i'm not awarding him that trophy yet

2 words

elias pettersson

Just now, coastal.view said:

not so sure about that

dmen always take just a little bit longer to develop and adjust

he is a good candidate to win, but i'm not awarding him that trophy yet

2 words

elias pettersson

No doubt.  Scoring wingers always have an advantage in ROTY.  Petterson, Mittelstadt, and possibly even Svechnikov have a better chance than Dahlin does at winning the Calder trophy.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, wildcam said:

Have another beer?    Yes very scout says that?? For sure...

I am saying scout are also say that there so close in skill, Hugh is a better skater with speed???????

Scout was saying if Hughes was 3 inches taller he would be first?????? Thats all I was saying? The height is what separated them... Okay don't go compare Bobby Orr to Brad Park now???????

Don't need all your past comparisons that was off the wall...lol lol lol lol 

If you’re going to tell someone to “have another beer”, you might want to follow it with a statement that doesn’t look like you have had a few too many yourself.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Had the JB drafted Boqvist, your post would read:

Boqvist is a phenom.

You’re fighting a losing battle on a Canucks message board my friend. The sensible fans know Dahlin is the greater talent. Hughes looks to be a fantastic talent and as a Canuck fan I’m thrilled we got him. However at the same time some guys on these boards talk like if they had the 1rst overall pick they’d take Hughes over Dahlin which is just crazy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Stelar said:

If you’re going to tell someone to “have another beer”, you might want to follow it with a statement that doesn’t look like you have had a few too many yourself.

I've honestly been wondering if English is his 2nd language or if he's just very young.  If it's the former, then you can't blame him too much, if it's the latter, then I hope school starts back up in Vancouver soon.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Had the JB drafted Boqvist, your post would read:

Boqvist is a phenom.

I think Boqvist will take longer to reach his ceiling. He has potential bust though.  If he does reach his ceiling, he will be a more dynamic player than Dahlin.  Dahlin is a steady D man.  

Hughes is a phenom.  He’s unique. 

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

You’re fighting a losing battle on a Canucks message board my friend. The sensible fans know Dahlin is the greater talent. Hughes looks to be a fantastic talent and as a Canuck fan I’m thrilled we got him. However at the same time some guys on these boards talk like if they had the 1rst overall pick they’d take Hughes over Dahlin which is just crazy.

I'm not fighting.  It would be silly to fight over 2 players who have yet to play an NHL game.  I've said all along and even on draft day that Hughes is the 2nd best d-man in the draft.  It just remains to be seen who can adjust the best to the NHL game.  You never know, history could prove that Svechnikov ends up being the best player in the draft.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Boqvist will take longer to reach his ceiling. He has potential bust though.  If he does reach his ceiling, he will be a more dynamic player than Dahlin.  Dahlin is a steady D man.  

Hughes is a phenom.  He’s unique. 

To you, anybody not on the Canucks is a potential bust.  I've seen you say that about players time and time again.

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I read earlier that Dahlin is Brad Park, and Hughes is Orr.  I see these as very good comparables.  Dahlin will be a very good, and effective D man.  Hughes (although not Orr) will be a uniquely special player.  Both Buffalo and Vancouver will be happy with their players; Vancouver will deservingly be happier. 

• Upvote 1