The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes Vs Rasmus Dahlin!

SuperJr

On 7/18/2018 at 6:52 PM, canucksnihilist said:

I don't know man, Dahlin is supposedly quite the player...  Pundits calling him the Conor McDavid of defense, et all.  You don't get those kinds of accolades without good cause...

I think Quinn Hughes could be a Neidermeyer-level player if things really work out - I am really looking forward to seeing how he does!  But he isn't going to be a Bobby Orr-level player.  And guess what, I think all of us would be ecstatic about that!  

Saw a lot of dahlin's highlights and he's the real deal...  sucks we missed him! 

If he shows even somewhat close to Bobby's skill set we'd all be more than happy with that...

On 7/18/2018 at 11:50 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

Well even though the subject of the thread is ridiculous lets try to get back on topic.

There is, at this time, no comparison between the two players in the NHL.

IMO Hughes requires the Canucks play him with a player that is physical, can clear the front of the net or win the board battles.

All the talk is about when he/they have the puck, but which player can get the puck easier?

Physically, Dahlin is larger and stronger.

Dahlin played in a profession league and players playing for contracts, Hughes played in what is essentially a development league.

Dahlin is compared to the very best dmen over the last 20 years in the NHL.

Hughes doesn't really have a cotemporary.

Height - with the tenancy of teams to inflate to the next inch - Dahlin 6'2", Hughes - 5' 9"

Weight - Dahlin - 185 lbs, lean for his height Hughes - 170 lbs - should look ripped with "guns"

Remember when posters were putting Julievi on the pedestal as the next one, next year, then next year, then the next year, then …. 

I just hope OJ becomes Salo 2.0

Hopefully Hughes bulks up on weight and muscle and get's even faster but if Hughes is even on the same field as Dahlin it's one less spot on the roster to be concerned about..  in spades...   However i like a line Greener could use for late game pushes for goals...  Guddy and Hughes, Bo, Brock, Elias...  but have Elias second line usually to spread offence... 

Dahlin doesn't seem to have any weakness in his game. He's got skating, hockey IQ, skill, size, physicality, good shot, and determination. Basically everything you want a hockey player to have, he has it.

Hughes has elite level skating and my (biased) opinion is that he may even have better hockey IQ. Being a smaller player, he has to be really creative whereas Dahlin could just force his way through at times. But Hughes is a bit or quite below Dahlin in almost all of the other categories. I think Hughes will be a great player on his own but there is always some chance that he may not reach his full potential whereas with Dahlin, it seems like there is maybe less than 1% chance that he doesn't pan out like he is supposed to.

• Upvote 1

On 18/07/2018 at 11:08 AM, SabreFan1 said:

Holy crap.  How many alt accounts do you have?  I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only person on CDC who only has a single account registered.

You aren't the only one with a single account dude.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, khay said:

Dahlin doesn't seem to have any weakness in his game. He's got skating, hockey IQ, skill, size, physicality, good shot, and determination. Basically everything you want a hockey player to have, he has it.

I noticed only one while watching the Sabres' prospects camp.  He has to learn to deal with pests pressuring him better.  Matej Pekar was on him like white on rice during parts of the prospects camp.  Even though he got his hits back on Pekar, especially on that one open-ice hit, it definitely interrupted his offensive game.  He'll need to gain more experience in that aspect of his game or players like Marchand will be able to lessen his output during 5 on 5 play.

Other than that, he was superb.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin is over hyped, and should (for his development) go play in the 

AHL.  He is going to get pounded like crap by the much bigger, faster, and meaner forecheck.  

I see him spending a lot of time on the IR.  

Hughes is just the better player, and will prove it over the next few years.  By 2022 Sabre fans will be POed they didn’t draft Hughes (an American boy too) while Canuck’s Fans will be watching Hughes (Multiple Norris winner) celebrating with the Stanley Cup

You should be a Pro Scout.  You seem to know more than the rest of the GMs, analysts, and league.

Edited by BPA
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2018 at 8:45 PM, ReggieBush said:

Size is the reason for Dahlin being higher ranked. I am not just saying that because Quinn is a Canuck, I have been pumping his tires all season.

And a much better shot. 

Edited by cuporbust

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:23 PM, BPA said:

You should be a Pro Scout.  You seem to know more than the rest of the GMs, analysts, and league.

Lets see how it unfolds. You could be a scout in the NHL just look up Bob's draft order and go. The best player in the draft isn't always pick number 1. If Hughes becomes a n elite offensive defenseman teams may regret passing on him especially if he lifts the cup because of it. Hughes also played against men as did Dhalin. Didn't Yakapov go first overall a few years ago? Hey anyways players have to play and that's when you know who is better until then I see a lot of valid points both ways, And Q Hughes looked un believable in Kamloops. Rasmus will take a little longer to be NHL ready but he will be, but as we will see it is very risky picking a defenseman first overall. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Lets see how it unfolds. You could be a scout in the NHL just look up Bob's draft order and go. The best player in the draft isn't always pick number 1. If Hughes becomes a n elite offensive defenseman teams may regret passing on him especially if he lifts the cup because of it. Hughes also played against men as did Dhalin. Didn't Yakapov go first overall a few years ago? Hey anyways players have to play and that's when you know who is better until then I see a lot of valid points both ways, And Q Hughes looked un believable in Kamloops. Rasmus will take a little longer to be NHL ready but he will be, but as we will see it is very risky picking a defenseman first overall. 

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Just now, cory40 said:

That's why its fun to be a fan. If your wrong you don't get fired. Lol sorry for getting my back up.

I want all the Canucks pick to be gold.

But you can't tell me that if Canucks had 1OV, that they would have chosen Hughes over Dahlin.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

I want all the Canucks pick to be gold.

But you can't tell me that if Canucks had 1OV, that they would have chosen Hughes over Dahlin.

They would have picked him. But I can tell you I was hoping they didn't win the lottery because I wanted Hughes 

• 7 months later...