The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes Vs Rasmus Dahlin!

SuperJr

There are things that Hughes can do that Dahlin can't and vice versa.

Although both players are defencemen, I think it's hard to compare the two. If we won the lottery, we would have picked Dahlin for sure. But, given that we didn't win the lottery, the next best thing that could have happened in 2018 draft was to draft Hughes and that happened. Really happy with that draft.

Getting Hughes might end up being better than winning the #2 overall pick (Svechnikov, even though he looks like he will be a 40 goal scorer).

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, khay said:

There are things that Hughes can do that Dahlin can't and vice versa.

Although both players are defencemen, I think it's hard to compare the two. If we won the lottery, we would have picked Dahlin for sure. But, given that we didn't win the lottery, the next best thing that could have happened in 2018 draft was to draft Hughes and that happened. Really happy with that draft.

Getting Hughes might end up being better than winning the #2 overall pick (Svechnikov, even though he looks like he will be a 40 goal scorer).

There were 3 defenseman that I had my eyes on all year leading up to the draft. Dahlin. Boqvist. And Hughes. I thought we would either get Dahlin (if we won the lottery) or Boqvist (if we didn't) as much as I loved Hughes and followed him as much as I could I didn't expect Vancouver to have a shot at drafting him. Thought he'd be long gone by the time we picked...boy am I glad I was wrong! I would still have been happy with any of those 3, but Hughes sure seems like he is the perfect match for our forwards....Go Canucks Go!!

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

There were 3 defenseman that I had my eyes on all year leading up to the draft. Dahlin. Boqvist. And Hughes. I thought we would either get Dahlin (if we won the lottery) or Boqvist (if we didn't) as much as I loved Hughes and followed him as much as I could I didn't expect Vancouver to have a shot at drafting him. Thought he'd be long gone by the time we picked...boy am I glad I was wrong! I would still have been happy with any of those 3, but Hughes sure seems like he is the perfect match for our forwards....Go Canucks Go!!

The AZ pick was the wrench in the draft machine, you could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard that pick announced.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

The AZ pick was the wrench in the draft machine, you could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard that pick announced.

Yes, I was so shocked by that pick it threw everything I was expecting to happen out the window lol

18 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Ya I was certain he was going early. I had him at 3 on my list but figured there was no chance he'd get by Detroit.

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

8 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Yes, I was so shocked by that pick it threw everything I was expecting to happen out the window lol

I believe that JB stated that 'our' top 7 were all gone after 7 picks. Different order, I'm assuming. I'd think that if that is true, then Hayton could easily have been a Canuck !

3 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I believe that JB stated that 'our' top 7 were all gone after 7 picks. Different order, I'm assuming. I'd think that if that is true, then Hayton could easily have been a Canuck !

I'd say they were looking at Hayton or Boqvist

I think Dahlin is the type of all around defenseman that all teams want and does everything really well. He is a very good version of the prototype and may turn out to be a Norris winner.

I think that Hughes is a completely unique player who, if he becomes a number one, will alter what we think is the prototype.  I have never seen a defenseman who plays like him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/30/2019 at 9:41 AM, cyoung said:

Ya I was certain he was going early. I had him at 3 on my list but figured there was no chance he'd get by Detroit.

Me too. I was streaming the draft on my phone at work, and barely got any work done after the Montreal pick to be honest, and absolutely nothing after the Arizona pick. Lol. I REALLY wanted Hughes over Zedina , but knew either way we would be getting a steal. I followed the draft picks closely last year( as i always do) and never thought there was any chance we had a shot at Hughes outside a big trade . I was like a kid at Christmas when they announced his name . 

Edited by cuporbust

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Me too. I was streaming the draft on my phone at work, and barely got any work done after the Montreal pick to be honest, and absolutely nothing after the Arizona pick. Lol. I REALLY wanted Hughes over Zedina , but knew either way we would be getting a steal. I followed the draft picks closely last year( as i always do) and never thought there was any chance we had a shot at Hughes outside a big trade . I was like a kid at Christmas when they announced his name . 

Im hoping Byram will be the dragon we chase this year haha. Not holding my breath. Really liking boldy, Caufield, or Krebs in our range tho.

What stood out for me last night was the defensive play he made on the second powerplay that they scored on.  Nashville had the puck in the D zone and he made a brilliant little pick up against the boards.  Got into the guys legs so he couldn't move but still had himself in position to take off up ice.  He set up the second goal from 200 ft away with a smart, subtle interference play that turned a 5 on 4 to a 5 on 3 going up the ice.  Then he still made a play and got the assist.

He is small but he is just so smart.  His acceleration and edgework are fantastic.  That first step is so quick.  He doesn't have Pavel Bure or Virtanen top end speed but he isn't slow in open ice.  He is more quickness and smarts than raw speed.

Gonna be some really fun times watching this new core of players.  A couple more pieces need to be brought in or developed but this is a really nice start.

• Upvote 1

Hughes is still a kid who's just getting his first taste of the NHL. He's done very well so far (in 4 games). He has made several mistakes that almost cost goals, but that'll happen with learning. I would give the nod to Dahlin, because he has good size and is stronger on the puck than Hughes.  

On 3/30/2019 at 9:58 AM, Dixon Ward said:

I think Dahlin is the type of all around defenseman that all teams want and does everything really well. He is a very good version of the prototype and may turn out to be a Norris winner.

I think that Hughes is a completely unique player who, if he becomes a number one, will alter what we think is the prototype.  I have never seen a defenseman who plays like him. 

...Its been said before...and by pundits, not just me...

Bobby Orr.....the way Quinn can spin and accelerate at the same time is truly Orr'esk...but it is the way he thinks the game that really ties a bow on it...