The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes Vs Rasmus Dahlin!

SuperJr

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Quinn Hughes controls the game.  Dahlin doesn’t.  Maybe that’s due to Quinn’s incredible skating, puck skills, hockey sense, and calmness; all traits that Dahlin has, but not at the elite level like Quinn? 

Quinn has better offensive numbers. We are , however,  a MUCH better team in every single category,  so tough to compare these two right now . Dahlin on our team....... All bets are off on who is the better player overall.  

Edited by cuporbust

Just now, cuporbust said:

Quinn has better offensive numbers. We are , however,  a MUCH better team in every single category,  so tough to compare these two.

Maybe the Sabres would be better if Dahlin was as good at controlling the game as Quinn?  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the Sabres would be better if Dahlin was as good at controlling the game as Quinn?  

Ya, like i said , hard to say how Quinn would look. I honestly tend to think you are correct.  Doesnt seem to matter who , how often , or what situations he plays in , he isn't influenced by his surroundings.  He is one of those players that pulls everyone up a notch. You can't teach that , and rarely find a generationally skilled d man with this quality IMO. I would still take Hughes at this point, and that honestly isn't because I'm a Canucks fan.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I highly doubt it. We are a much better team, especially offensively.

5v5 points per 60 Hughes and Dahlin are almost the same. 1.37 for Hughes and 1.33 for Dahlin.

That is despite the fact that Dahlin is on a worse team with worse offense and had a concussion earlier in the year.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Ya, like i said , hard to say how Quinn would look. I honestly tend to think you are correct.  Doesnt seem to matter who , how often , or what situations he plays in , he isn't influenced by his surroundings.  He is one of those players that pulls everyone up a notch. You can't teach that , and rarely find a generationally skilled d man with this quality IMO. I would still take Hughes at this point, and that honestly isn't because I'm a Canucks fan.

I’d love to have both.  Each plays pretty much half the game.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I highly doubt it. We are a much better team, especially offensively.

Points per 60 Hughes and Dahlin are almost the same. 1.37 for Hughes and 1.33 for Dahlin.

That is despite the fact that Dahlin is on a worse team with worse offense and had a concussion earlier in the year.

Nope.  Dahlin is not even in the same area code as Huggy Bear.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nope.  Dahlin is not even in the same area code as Huggy Bear.  

Dahlin also has a higher PP points per 60 at 6.03 while Hughes has 5.82. Hughes is 2nd in PP ice time while Dahlin is 16th.

We draw the most PPs in the league so that makes sense.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The idea that you don't think Dahlin is as good as controlling the game is purely based on the fact that you don't watch him at all.  The kid is so slick and see's the ice so well.  and guess what he's still only 19 years old.  Dahlin does this type of stuff on a daily basis.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Dahlin also has a higher 5v5 on-ice save percentage at 94% which is pretty good. Hughes on-ice save percentage at 5v5 is 90.4 which is very surprising IMO, you'd think that would be much better.

Can you provide a little insight to what those stats and numbers mean to someone like analog me stuck in a digital world?

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Quinn has better offensive numbers. We are , however,  a MUCH better team in every single category,  so tough to compare these two right now . Dahlin on our team....... All bets are off on who is the better player overall.  

This is exactly the problem that people don't take into account.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Can you provide a little insight to what those stats and numbers mean to someone like analog me stuck in a digital world?

5v5 on-ice save percentage means the teams/goalies save percentage when said player is on the ice at even strength.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Means a Dahlin fan trying make believe Dahlin is as good as Hughes.  These are crap.  It’s like s baseball player, who bats 220 saying he’s a 300 hitter on Wednesday day games played indoors.  

Hughes is s far superior player to Dahlin.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Means a Dahlin fan trying make believe Dahlin is as good as Hughes.  These are crap.  It’s like s baseball player, who bats 220 saying he’s a 300 hitter on Wednesday day games played indoors.  

Hughes is s far superior player to Dahlin.  

Just curious Alf, did you watch the game tonight?

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Just curious Alf, did you watch the game tonight?

Yup.  And even though the Sabres lost I thought Dahlin played a solid game.  He just is not the difference maker that Quinn is.  Dahlin is s good player, but he’s not great.  Quinn is great. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Thanks buddy!

No problem. It is an interesting stat. It can help determine a number of things whether or not you're a liability in your own zone, how you are utilized, etc but it is only a part of finding out these things.

90.4% for Hughes isn't great since it is below our teams/goalies 5v5 save percentage at 92.2%. Especially if you consider he is used more offensively. Dahlin's is at 94% whereas his teams overall is at 92.4%. Keep in mind both players are used more offensively and get a lot more offensive zone starts.

Means when Hughes is on the ice we get tend to get scored on more than the Canucks team/goalies average at 5v5 compared to Dahlin who tends to get scored on less than the Sabres team/goalies average which is pretty good.

All these stats are on NHL.com

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  And even though the Sabres lost I thought Dahlin played a solid game.  He just is not the difference maker that Quinn is.  Dahlin is s good player, but he’s not great.  Quinn is great. 

What did you think of Makar tonight Alf?

To me he is next level offensively compared to Quinn. Faster, shiftier, more aggressive and harder shot. He beats guys with his speed to the outside and with his dekes and hands to the inside. His passing was tape to tape every time. He took a pass at the blue line, walked the line then completely blew by all 5 opponents and got to the front/side of the net.

Whereas Quinn plays a smoother cerebral game from the perimeter. He can semi beat a guy down the wing but uses his edges and button hooks to get separation and look for lanes to get passes through. He uses accuracy and screens to score goals with his shot instead of power.

Dahlin was steady with tape to tape passes and hard shots and read the play well. Like Makar he also ventured often down below the opponents red line.

This thread should be titled Quinn vs Dahlin vs Makar vs Heiskanen because all 4 of these young D are exceptional.

• Upvote 1