The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Car Mod Thread

NucksPatsFan

Anyone here do any custom modifications to their car? Engine, exhaust, or even just kits or tint. 

Have done the basics such as tints and hacking the screen inside the car to install Waze and Netflix on it, but have been thinking about changing out the exhaust for an aftermarket exhaust to change the sound and increase the HP just slightly.

Wondering if anyone has experience with this sort of stuff and/or if you recommend any local shops for parts.

I have a 2015 Veloster Turbo pretty basic right now (still under warranty) Tint, 19” wheels, muffler delete, intercooler resonator delete, chassis braces, interior/license plate/reverse led light bulb swap. 

More chassis bracing and lowering springs up next. 

As for the question I know a lot of the guys I know who've done work on the mainland used Garage Five Innovation in Richmond, what kind of car are you planning on modding? 

375F924C-2AE7-452A-857B-B5F078E68BC1.jpeg

I’m not a big car mod guy. Other than putting in sound systems (because that’s just fun for me), getting good tires, and adding some lighting on my SUV. 

Otherwise, I leave things pretty stock on all our vehicles.

Although I had an old Renault 5 once back in high school with a busted ignition. Rewired the stages to old rocker switches and mounted then on the dash. Flipped them in a special sequence to start the car:lol:

Not that I don’t enjoy mods. If I was a young, single guy, I’d probably mess around with my ride and spend plenty of time working on it (my dad has a really nice full garage setup at his place). But these days I don’t even do my own brakes or even oil changes because I just don’t have the time. 

About all I do myself now is hook up the car seats. And make sure my music can play loud enough to drown out whatever the hell my boys are screaming about in the backseat (so long as I know they’re safely strapped in). 

8 hours ago, *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS* said:

First you need to specify what type of car you have

Also need to know what you intend to do with the car... racing, daily driver???

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I have a 2015 Veloster Turbo pretty basic right now (still under warranty) Tint, 19” wheels, muffler delete, intercooler resonator delete, chassis braces, interior/license plate/reverse led light bulb swap. 

As for the question I know a lot of the guys I know who've done work on the mainland used Garage Five Innovation in Richmond, what kind of car are you planning on modding? 

2016 Civic Touring, 1.5L Turbo boost engine. 17" wheels. 

I don't plan on racing it, just daily driving and late night driving on straight back roads. 

The thing I hate about the stock exhaust on these is they totally quiet down the noise. One of the great things of turbo is hearing the spool up and hear it whistle. 

Wanting to produce a sound more similar to a subaru/gt-r.

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

2016 Civic Touring, 1.5L Turbo boost engine. 17" wheels. 

I don't plan on racing it, just daily driving and late night driving on straight back roads. 

The thing I hate about the stock exhaust on these is they totally quiet down the noise. One of the great things of turbo is hearing the spool up and hear it whistle. 

Wanting to produce a sound more similar to a subaru/gt-r.

I used to sell cars for Honda my only gripe with the new civic was how insanely quiet it was even the Si and type R are both really tame out of the box.

I would recommend a cat-back exhaust, there are plenty of options for the Civic. If you want even more sound a resonator delete however that may cause too much drone for you if it’s you're daily. Also a short ram intake would allow you too hear the turbo more, a true cold air I would not recommend as it rains far too much in the mainland areas.

I would also recommend lowering springs too, nothing crazy just a tame drop if you want to do some back road driving it'll be night and day for corner carving. Adding to the springs I would look into front and rear sway bars and strut braces. 

I did some custom mods to my 2005 Corolla CE (cheap edition).  I put in a new radio deck with bluetooth (which I lost the instructions and can't figure out how to pair my phone for music/phone calls anymore) and it has USB and AUX which the original radio didn't have.  Also swapped in some HID or LED (can't remember) bulbs for my headlights.  Yea those mods definitely made my wife fall in love with me back in the day.

But I do have to order a new radio for the wifes 2010 Jetta soon, hers died and its been almost a year without a radio for her now.

And, without hijacking the thread (and on topic)....if you're one of those guys with the exhaust that sounds like a garburator on crack with an amp plugged in, you're not my favourite.   Why??   It's so annoying.

11 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

375F924C-2AE7-452A-857B-B5F078E68BC1.jpeg

nice.. I just traded my 2011Tacoma for a 2010 mazda speed3 and cash, the previous owner put in a cobb aftercooler ,it has an access port which I haven't messed with , I dont even know what cobb package it was i've read that theres a buy back trade in on a better access port but i'm not going to bother ,its only got 76k on it and it already goes fast enough for me. I copied the red pin stripe off of this pic  I found ,so it looks almost identical to this , I miss the Toyota but this little car is a lot of fun to drive. I gave smithers joe a ride a couple of months ago , I went easy on him, lol   320 hp insane power for such a little car.

2e6Ef1E.jpg

I'm in the process right now of stripping the entire interior of my truck in order to apply 100% coverage of sound deadening material. After that I'll be installing a fully active stereo.

For now, I'll just be doing a 2-way front stage with 2 10" subs. After I save up a bit more, I'll be upgrading the subs to higher power 10's and upgrading the front stage to 3-way active and adding a dedicated mono block amp for the subs. Right now I'm running 2 5 channel amps, subs off the sub channels and front stage bridged off the 4 channels.

All old school Alpine equipment, amps are from 1999-2000, head unit is from 2007, sub's are new because I don't trust deteriorated rubber surrounds on 20+ year old subwoofers.

Front stage speakers are a 10 year old set of F1 3 way components, just wont be running the 5.25" drivers for now.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

And, without hijacking the thread (and on topic)....if you're one of those guys with the exhaust that sounds like a garburator on crack with an amp plugged in, you're not my favourite.   Why??   It's so annoying.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:34 AM, debluvscanucks said:

No no, it won't sound like a pop can on the back of a bike tire haha. It'll sound like a Subaru/GT-R if you know what those sound like. 

On 7/12/2018 at 9:16 AM, canuck73_3 said:

I used to sell cars for Honda my only gripe with the new civic was how insanely quiet it was even the Si and type R are both really tame out of the box.

I would recommend a cat-back exhaust, there are plenty of options for the Civic. If you want even more sound a resonator delete however that may cause too much drone for you if it’s you're daily. Also a short ram intake would allow you too hear the turbo more, a true cold air I would not recommend as it rains far too much in the mainland areas.

I would also recommend lowering springs too, nothing crazy just a tame drop if you want to do some back road driving it'll be night and day for corner carving. Adding to the springs I would look into front and rear sway bars and strut braces. 

Wow, great info. Thank you! Any specific company for cat-back you'd recommend? 

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Wow, great info. Thank you! Any specific company for cat-back you'd recommend? 

You're welcome, my favourite for the 10th gen civic is the Injen cat-back, Invidia makes a good one too they tend to be louder. I also like Takeda as well I used their intake paired with a Borla exhaust on my Accord 

I’ve been modifying cars since I was 14 (33 now.) 

Done it all. Engine swaps, superchargers, nitrous, coil over suspensions, lights, paint, etc etc. 

now i I just try to keep my classic Bronco roadworthy and my family safe in our Honda van. Lol

Archived