The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Car Mod Thread

NucksPatsFan

On 7/11/2018 at 9:40 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

Anyone here do any custom modifications to their car? Engine, exhaust, or even just kits or tint. 

Have done the basics such as tints and hacking the screen inside the car to install Waze and Netflix on it, but have been thinking about changing out the exhaust for an aftermarket exhaust to change the sound and increase the HP just slightly.

Wondering if anyone has experience with this sort of stuff and/or if you recommend any local shops for parts.

a cautionary tale...

read the Bo horvat thread on ICBC

40 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

One of the silliest yet fun mods you can do to a relatively stock car is to put on an electric exhaust cutout.

flip a switch and it’s ridiculously loud and obnoxious, flip it back to stock. 

Banned

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎12 at 9:56 AM, VanGnome said:

don't trust deteriorated rubber surrounds on 20+ year old subwoofers.

You can get the foam surrounds re-done, if you prefer the sound of the old drivers.

Also, when the bass is playing you should be able to tell the difference between a kettle drum and a bass guitar. (pet peeve- thumpy sound with no clue as to which instrument is playing).

1 hour ago, gurn said:

You can get the foam surrounds re-done, if you prefer the sound of the old drivers.

Also, when the bass is playing you should be able to tell the difference between a kettle drum and a bass guitar. (pet peeve- thumpy sound with no clue as to which instrument is playing).

I've tuned SQ car stereos before, the subwoofers will only be playing from 60 Hz down to roughly 35-ish. My mid bass drivers will be 60 Hz - 200 Hz, mid range from 200 Hz to roughly 4 kHz, or whatever sounds best, and then the tweeters on up.

I know rubber surrounds can be replaced, but for some drivers, those replacements are becoming very hard to come by. New subwoofers are better engineered with more robust voice coils depending on brand and model, and better cooling etc. Skar Audio does a phenomenal job with their woofers, and they are stupidly cheap. I picked up a cheap pair of 10's to test in the box before going with more expensive shallow mount, they also matched the power delivery closer.

225w RMS is what my amp is putting out per channel (2 channels), and the subs I got are 200 RMS but underrated. The T/S parameters of the woofers lend themselves pretty well to an SQ use, even if they are predominantly an SPL focused company.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:46 PM, canuck73_3 said:

You're welcome, my favourite for the 10th gen civic is the Injen cat-back, Invidia makes a good one too they tend to be louder. I also like Takeda as well I used their intake paired with a Borla exhaust on my Accord 

Might be a dumb question, but if I wanna keep my rims (love the look of them) but want them to be black, will spray paint suffice? Or is there another way to just turn my current rims into black? Or will I have to just buy black rims? I don't care too much about the rims, mostly just want to focus on the exhaust and the dash hack, but thought if a quick spray paint will suffice why not

15 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Might be a dumb question, but if I wanna keep my rims (love the look of them) but want them to be black, will spray paint suffice? Or is there another way to just turn my current rims into black? Or will I have to just buy black rims? I don't care too much about the rims, mostly just want to focus on the exhaust and the dash hack, but thought if a quick spray paint will suffice why not

I'd suggest plasti dip if you want to do it the inexpensive route, you're going to need 6-8 cans to do all 4 wheels. Clean the wheels thoroughly, keep plasti dip cans in warm water to prevent it from going on bubbly and apply thin coats gradually getting darker each coat. 

The other option if you're definitely commited to black is powder coating should run you anywhere from $400-800 depending on the shop and what mainland pricing is. I prefer powder coat myself it looks more like a factory fresh look and hold up better long term. However plasti dip can be easily touched up. 

The car with the yellow brakes is plasti dip and the land rover rim is powder coated. 

5A9DD633-8AAF-4309-8E83-043BFB1A42F9.jpeg

F9237B63-F4B5-494D-B1E1-078A70044B9D.jpeg

9 hours ago, VanGnome said:

I've tuned SQ car stereos before, the subwoofers will only be playing from 60 Hz down to roughly 35-ish. My mid bass drivers will be 60 Hz - 200 Hz, mid range from 200 Hz to roughly 4 kHz, or whatever sounds best, and then the tweeters on up.

I know rubber surrounds can be replaced, but for some drivers, those replacements are becoming very hard to come by. New subwoofers are better engineered with more robust voice coils depending on brand and model, and better cooling etc. Skar Audio does a phenomenal job with their woofers, and they are stupidly cheap. I picked up a cheap pair of 10's to test in the box before going with more expensive shallow mount, they also matched the power delivery closer.

225w RMS is what my amp is putting out per channel (2 channels), and the subs I got are 200 RMS but underrated. The T/S parameters of the woofers lend themselves pretty well to an SQ use, even if they are predominantly an SPL focused company.

You have almost inspired me to finally put my  tape deck into a car.

now time for a "back when I was a young guy story". :)

With me helping a friend we installed 2 pair of Boston Acoustic 797 three way speakers, a pair of Bazooka  8 inch subs, and 3 Coustic 380 amps into my Volkswagen Rabbit; ran it with a Nakamichi td500.

Entered a car stereo contest in Victoria and placed 2 for sound as well as 2nd loudest, got hammered on installation points as we put the thing together the evening before the contest, wires everywhere.

Used to park at the top of hills, tilt the seat back, open the sunroof and play Pink Floyd till the battery died. Loved having a manual transmission, just coast a 100 feet and pop the clutch.

9 hours ago, gurn said:

You have almost inspired me to finally put my  tape deck into a car.

now time for a "back when I was a young guy story". :)

With me helping a friend we installed 2 pair of Boston Acoustic 797 three way speakers, a pair of Bazooka  8 inch subs, and 3 Coustic 380 amps into my Volkswagen Rabbit; ran it with a Nakamichi td500.

Entered a car stereo contest in Victoria and placed 2 for sound as well as 2nd loudest, got hammered on installation points as we put the thing together the evening before the contest, wires everywhere.

Used to park at the top of hills, tilt the seat back, open the sunroof and play Pink Floyd till the battery died. Loved having a manual transmission, just coast a 100 feet and pop the clutch.

Haha nice. I'll throw a thread up once the truck is finished, I've got a decent condenser mic here too, can probably take some half way decent sound demos. I'll have limited tuning ability, since I'm just running the processing off the Alpine 9887 deck I picked up off craigslist for 40 bucks (tweaker must have needed a fix). Eventually I'll go outboard DSP and upgrade to a newer Alpine double din (Alpine fanboy if you didn't already guess, lol).

Edit: I had a 1997 GTi VR6 with a $&!#ty 10" sub in a small sealed box. In the small hatchback that thing pounded on only 250w RMS. I miss that car, too bad I grenaded the engine by constant rev matching during downshifts lol.

I had some issues with wheel vibrations and I just made wheel balancing and check. I found new local car service here in Auckland, NZ. They have Hunter Road Force Balancer machine which measures for any soft spots in the assembly/ tyre. Prefer to apply to the professionals.

Archived