The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] JORDAN STAAL and NIEDERREITER

Hi,

What do you think it would take to get Staal from Carolina and Niederreiter from Minnesota, it seems both could use a knew team to further and/or better their careers(Staal - compete for a stanley cup again and for Niederreiter to be consistent through regular season and post season). As we know from Carolina declaring nobody is safe besides AHO and Minnesota willing to trade a few playoff non-performers, their value may be unknown(trade wise) but it could benefit us now are down the road if we take a leap at these players today.

I chose Staal because he can be a good centre in the offensive-zone and the defensive-zone, can have some of the youngsters playing with him(consistent 40+ points and 52+% Face-off) and help insulate Bo(more offensive starts less D-zone starts). Can provide good leadership for our group and show them how to play hard-minutes.

Niederreiter because he can still improve and provide a good winger for Horvat. He is steadily improving points wise year after year on pace for 50 pts this year but its his playoff performance thats yet to improve(1 point in his last two playoff series). He may fit in well right away due to his connection with Travis Green, Sven, Leipsic and Pouliot (Portland Winterhawks all at the same time) and found success together as well.

From Carolina's and Minnesota's perspective shedding salary and hopefully improving team play and success throughout the season and playoffs.

Untouchable Players:

Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Pettersson, Dhalen, Huges, Juolevi, Demco, Rathbone, Woo, Gaudette and Sven(to play with Nino).

The rest of the players and prospects are fair game.

Or are these trades to late due to the signings of the F/A. Add what you want to the Discussion and Thank You for reading and sharing.

Kindest Regards,

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like the concept of Staal for sure.  Don’t know about the cost though.

If only one was available I would take Jordan Staal, he can provide a lot for our team especially in face-offs. Could you imagine Horvat, Sutter and Staal(all three are above 50%) as our centres we would be a hard team to play because the opposition would have a daunted task in winning face-offs.

14 minutes ago, doodle sack said:

If only one was available I would take Jordan Staal, he can provide a lot for our team especially in face-offs. Could you imagine Horvat, Sutter and Staal(all three are above 50%) as our centres we would be a hard team to play because the opposition would have a daunted task in winning face-offs.

And Beagle is almost 60%.  That’s four solid centres for sure.

trader Jim needs to trade some of the fat in order to get some 2nd round picks or a 1st round pick for the 2019 draft in Vancouver....I'd pass on both Jordan and Niederreiter.

If he trades a valuable D man for a 1st rounder, then he needs to trade a couple of redundant forwards for a steady dman and a pick.

i think the canucks are hoping virtanen can develop into a niederreiter like top 6 player.  

I think JB wants to see who will make strides this season and those that dont will be moved or let go.  Id like to see internal competition first as well before acquiring any more players. 

Carolina needs Staal just as much as we do. I am willing to bet they'd rather have Teravainen on the wing, since he took a grand total of 49 faceoffs last season. Necas is still a bit of a question mark. No telling if he's 100% ready for a top 6 spot. Without Staal, their top 3 centers look like Teravainen, Necas, and Rask. Rask is a solid 3rd line center, Necas you don't want to put too much on too soon, Teravainen isn't a true center based off the fact he takes fewer than 50 faceoffs. Rask and Teravainen benefit greatly from the fact the bulk of the D zone starts go to Staal. Necas will also benefit from having Staal there. I mean, maybe we can do something around a Sutter+ swap for Staal. But why downgrade if you are Carolina? 

Staal is 29, and hasn't really progressed since leaving Pittsburgh 6 years ago (apparently he was held back by Corsby and Malkin), and still have 5 more year on his contracts.  I'd take him for 1 or 2 season, but eventually Petterson will take over.  Plus, I feel like Staal is too much like BO and Sutter.  He's a little more offensive than Sutter but less than Horvat.  

It's funny how 5 years ago the name Staal was almost royalty, now all three are pretty much an afterthought (even with Eric's resurgence the past two year).

No to Staal. He's decent now, but will likely be regressing by the time we're ready to win.

Niederreiter though? Absolutely. He's over 3 years younger. If the price is reasonable, he's an outstanding player, who just had a down year due to injury.

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Carolina needs Staal just as much as we do. I am willing to bet they'd rather have Teravainen on the wing, since he took a grand total of 49 faceoffs last season. Necas is still a bit of a question mark. No telling if he's 100% ready for a top 6 spot. Without Staal, their top 3 centers look like Teravainen, Necas, and Rask. Rask is a solid 3rd line center, Necas you don't want to put too much on too soon, Teravainen isn't a true center based off the fact he takes fewer than 50 faceoffs. Rask and Teravainen benefit greatly from the fact the bulk of the D zone starts go to Staal. Necas will also benefit from having Staal there. I mean, maybe we can do something around a Sutter+ swap for Staal. But why downgrade if you are Carolina? 

If Necas is ready for a top 6 spot, then Petersson is ready for the Calder trophy.  Necas played in an inferior league and had 17 pts in 24 games.  Petersson blew up the world in a superior league.  I can't wait!

52 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

If Necas is ready for a top 6 spot, then Petersson is ready for the Calder trophy.  Necas played in an inferior league and had 17 pts in 24 games.  Petersson blew up the world in a superior league.  I can't wait!

Players adjust differently to the NHL. Who knows how well either of these guys do. Not to mention they are both joining different organizations with different opportunities. All in all it just makes my initial statement ring even more true. They need Staal.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] JORDAN STAAL and NIEDERREITER

Archived