so am chilling at a pub, downing appies and beer, hey it's happy hour

and perusing online sites

and had a look at capfriendly and the jets situation

after having just extended their keeper

and i know it is crazy ... but what the heck . .it is slow summer time

after their latest signing

the jets have crept slightly above the salary cap floor

and still have to fill out their roster a bit

but what struck me is that if the jets can keep their salary payments at the current level

they will have $95,972,136 available at the trade deadline in 2019

so what should the jets do at the tdl in 2019

with $95,972,136 ??

might cost them some draft picks as well

but i'm sure they could add a lot more then just stasney

like they did last tdl

they could take on cap dumps as well to sweeten any trade deal

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

go look it up alf

i did

and was surprised to read it

so thought i'd create a post about this cap fantasy

but note, they cannot spend an extra dollar between now and the tdl

Maybe they buy Portage la Prairie?

The Jets have only 17 players signed so they still need to sign 6 more players to fill out their roster. They have $20.6M to sign these 6 players and that would include Trouba, Morrissey and Lowry. I suspect they will have no more than $4M to $5M in cap space after signing 6 players. Next year they have to sign Wheeler, Laine, Connor and Myers to new contracts so they are actually going to have to look at shedding salary to meet the cap next year and I don't see how they can be adding any bad contracts.

By the way, the Canucks show $59.7M in cap space at the TDL and they already have 23 contracts signed......:P

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

The Jets have only 17 players signed so they still need to sign 6 more players to fill out their roster. They have $20.6M to sign these 6 players and that would include Trouba, Morrissey and Lowry. I suspect they will have no more than $4M to $5M in cap space after signing 6 players. Next year they have to sign Wheeler, Laine, Connor and Myers to new contracts so they are actually going to have to look at shedding salary to meet the cap next year and I don't see how they can be adding any bad contracts.

By the way, the Canucks show $59.7M in cap space at the TDL and they already have 23 contracts signed......:P

hey i saw that

but  95 million just seemed so much more stunning :P

new jersey devils presently show they have over 100 million available

but they have not yet hit the cap floor

the jets did . so there was a bit of reality in their situation

Well, Morrissey, Trouba, and Lowry will need new contracts, so that $20M is going to decrease pretty quickly. 

Then Laine is going to take up between $8M-$9M in an increase the following year, while Wheeler will likely require $5.5M. They’ll have enough for them, as Myers will be coming off the books. They’ll have to part with Perreault or Little to make it work, but that shouldn’t be too difficult to figure out.

51 minutes ago, Monty said:

Well, Morrissey, Trouba, and Lowry will need new contracts, so that $20M is going to decrease pretty quickly. 

Then Laine is going to take up between $8M-$9M in an increase the following year, while Wheeler will likely require $5.5M. They’ll have enough for them, as Myers will be coming off the books. They’ll have to part with Perreault or Little to make it work, but that shouldn’t be too difficult to figure out.

you wouldn't rather see them retain all their cap space

and go a little nutso at the trade dead line ? :P

28 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you wouldn't rather see them retain all their cap space

and go a little nutso at the trade dead line ? :P

Oh, of course. But they’ll likely add someone who’s contract is expiring. Based on who’s available, and the two seconds of work I’ve done, Gustav Nyquist may be the best option.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] jets - what should they do with their capspace at the 2019 tdl

Archived