The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

goals,goals...from who?

goog16

I'm cautiously optimistic about next year.  Pettersson might make the transition right away, or he might take more of an Erik Karlsson trajectory and take a few years to adjust to the NHL game.  That said, he dominated the SHL better than Karlsson at a similar age and he seems to make transitions quite well, so he might just jump in and take charge.

I'll be very happy to see us hit 250 goals this year.  I think the loss of the Sedins will be mostly offset in the standings by the improved team defensive play in their own ends.  Team +/- should improve.  I have faith in Newell Brown using the players at his disposal to at least keep the pace steady compared to last year's pp, but it will take a bit of a change in style without the twins.  Lots of exciting new players but I think we are hoping for more than they will deliver next year.  I think in a few years they just might meet or exceed these lofty goals, however.  Like Erik Karlsson, some of them will need to improve over time.  Not everybody is a stud out of the gate like Boeser (who will improve a bit, but not tons this season imho - one or two more seasons and he'll be contending for the goal scoring lead in the league).

19 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

I like the optimism. 305 goals wow. Ok I'll drink this Kool-Aid  It depends on our first line I say

Leipsic, Horvat, Boeser = Total 75 to 90 goals

Eriksson  Sutter  Pettersson = Total 70 to 85 goals

Baertschi Schaller Virtanen  = Total 40 to 60 goals

forth line = 30 goals 

spares = 10 goals

Defense = 25 goals 

So That's a range of 250 to 305 

Yeah my guestimation around 250 goals just around 3 goals a game

It means Green's defensive scheme and our goaltending have to be up to snuff esp the PK

So if were in any tight rivalries our young guns WILL be targeted

With 43 goals to make up from Sedins and Vanek on an already low scoring team it could be a challenge.

With the 5-6 guys taking up those offensive minutes its more than possible, as long as we have a "normal" year of man games lost to injury.

Sutter, JV, Eriksson, Baer, Granny, Goldy to name a few should easily pickup their numbers, and honestly don't see anyone tailing off on their production from last year.

About 230 goals is a realistic number

It's all about chemistry for me. So many players were moving up and down the lineup due to injuries that it was hard to gain chemistry. Getting guys playing on the right lines with the right linemates will go a long ways.

I also think Green continuing to help guys to work on some of their weaknesses could create an improvement. We're already seeing it with Jake this summer working on his shot and his stick handling. If he can find a way to use his speed and get into shooting positions more efficiently, he's gonna get alot of scoring opportunities. He just needs to work on not getting his shots deflected and getting accurate shots off on the fly.

16 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about next year.  Pettersson might make the transition right away, or he might take more of an Erik Karlsson trajectory and take a few years to adjust to the NHL game.  That said, he dominated the SHL better than Karlsson at a similar age and he seems to make transitions quite well, so he might just jump in and take charge.

I'll be very happy to see us hit 250 goals this year. 

I am also an optimist about the up coming year. It will be up to those players who slot in to replace the Sedin's  to up their games and make the most of the opportunity the Sedin's retirements provide them. I do think 250 is attainable if we do not lose very many key players to lengthy injuries. That said; with the current roster, we are better able to fill those positions now than we have been for the past few years.

Boeser - 37 (32A)

Horvat - 27 (34A)

Petterson - 23 (36A)

Baertschi - 18 (29A)

Eriksson - 17 (18A)

Virtanen - 17 (15A)

Sutter - 14 (18A)

Granlund - 14 (18A)

Leipsic - 14 (22A)

Goldobin - 14 (12A)

Gagner - 11 (17A)

Roussel - 9 (10A)

Beagle - 9 (21A)

Schaller - 7 (9A)

Edler - 7 (27A)

MDZ - 7 (21A)

Pouliot - 4 (24A)

Stecher - 4 (27A)

Hutton - 4 (17A)

Tanev - 2 (21A)

*Hughes - 2 (37A)

Biega - 2 (6A)

Gudbranson - 2 (10A)

Markstrom - 1 

I see Eriksson having a better year.

I see Sutter having a better year.

I see Granlund having a better year.

I see Baertschi having a better year.

I see Gaunce having a better year.

I see Virtanen having a better year.

I see even Horvat having a better year.

I see even Boeser having a better year.

And I can NOT wait to see Petersson in action!

Lots and lots of things to look forward to.  But most of all:

I see our D having a WAY better year all around.  Less injuries.  More shots.

12 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Boeser - 37 (32A)

Horvat - 29 (34A)

Petterson - 23 (36A)

Baertschi - 21 (29A)

Eriksson - 19 (18A)

Virtanen - 17 (15)

Sutter - 16 (18A)

Granlund - 16 (18A)

Leipsic - 15 (22A)

Goldobin - 14 (12A)

Gaudette - 14 (8A)

Gagner - 13 (17A)

Roussel - 12 (10A)

Beagle - 11 (21A)

Schaller - 9 (9A)

*Dahlen - 8 (13A)

Edler - 7 (27A)

MDZ - 7 (21A)

Gaunce - 6 (8A)

Pouliot - 6 (24A)

Stecher - 5 (27A)

Hutton - 4 (17A)

Tanev - 4 (21A)

*Hughes - 4 (37A)

Biega - 3 (6A)

Gudbranson - 2 (10A)

Markstrom - 1 

LOL... Love the optimism; 300+ goals ... Even Marky gets one!

I would love to see this; I really would!

On 2018-07-13 at 7:28 PM, IBatch said:

Have been thinking about how Green plans to divy up the Sedins PP time and Ozone starts.  They didn't play as much last year so in a way it already started, but 10-12 more minutes in the offensive zone per game is a lot of time.  Horvats line should see a healthy bump, which in turn should help offense, and if Pettersson plays well with Sutter and likely L.E., we should be able to at least score many as last year.   

We also need some help from our D, when Weber regularly scores about as much as our entire defense, you know there are issues.   Hughes and OJ cant  get here any sooner even if they aren't known for scoring goals they have to be better than what we have now...right?

Hughes and OJ will definitely create more offensive opportunities. They'll be catalysts for better overall PP production. Salo was impressed by OJ's ability to find the open lane and getting pucks through. 

It'll be exciting watching Green and Brown experiment to get this right. The Sedins PP time will likely be spread out and that time should be more effective with youth. At least from a fresh start standpoint since the Sedins were mainstays of our PP for so long. 

But you're right, we need more goals from our D big time. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hughes and OJ will definitely create more offensive opportunities. They'll be catalysts for better overall PP production. Salo was impressed by OJ's ability to find the open lane and getting pucks through. 

It'll be exciting watching Green and Brown experiment to get this right. The Sedins PP time will likely be spread out and that time should be more effective with youth. At least from a fresh start standpoint since the Sedins were mainstays of our PP for so long. 

But you're right, we need more goals from our D big time. 

One of the things i keep wondering with the Sedins gone and the preference to push the speed game is will the Power Play get more opportunities because other teams have to defend that speed? Will that create more hooking calls or tripping calls as defenders try to deal with the pressure. If so we may get more opportunities than last year and thus more goals?

Boeser - 36

Horvat - 28

Pettersson - 24

Eriksson - 18

Baertschi - 18

Virtanen - 16

Sutter - 16 

Granlund - 14

Goldobin - 13

Leipsic - 11 

Gagner - 10

Roussel - 9

Schaller - 8

Beagle - 6

Edler - 7

Del Zotto - 6

Stecher - 5

Hutton -  4

Pouliot - 4

Tanev - 3

Gudbranson - 2

Biega - 2

Last year goalie equipment shrank again (pants) and goal scoring increased from a team average of 227 goals/season to 244 goals/season and 7% increase.

"regarding the sizing and fit of goaltender’s chest protectors. These new sizing rules are expected to go into effect for the 2018-19 season".

It isn't just replacing the 150 points but increasing to keep up with the league average, which could leap by 10% with the smaller chest protectors.

That could mean that any improvement of individual scoring would be the NHL average, every player should score 10% more goals just to keep up and should be expected.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:28 PM, Oregon.Duck said:

Elias Pettersson with 41 goals? I mean I’m sure he’ll do great but this guy is on some good reefer if he thinks that’s a legitimate outcome. Lol

Connor McDavid Scored 41 Goals in his 3rd season of the NHL. If Pettersson scores 41 in his rookie year... then :gocan:!

Here an article forecasting goals using some top secret analytics.::) Interesting read..

Goal total about 245

Very optimistic on Pettersson , Dahlen, Juolevi, Edler IMO but its based on 82 games with replacements keeping the same pace.

I believe Virtanen, Pouliot , Stecher and Roussel can do better

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/2018-19-canucks-will-depend-on-youth-for-offence-is-it-too-much-to-ask-1.23371043?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Boeser 34.09
Elias Pettersson 30.81
Bo Horvat 25.19
Sven Baertschi 18.02
Nikolay Goldobin 15.72
Markus Granlund 15.29
Jonathan Dahlen 13.18
Jake Virtanen 12.17
Adam Gaudette 11.01
Brendan Gaunce 8.80
Brendan Leipsic 7.84
Olli Juolevi 7.08