The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who will be at the bottom of the League

7 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

No worries, no offense taken.

Crawford has slowly become the Hawks version of Chris Tanev.  Great player, just unfortunately made of egg shells. 

Toews honestly looks like a completely different player...he loses puck battles, easily knocked off his feet lately, doesn't drive the net like before.  Not sure what happened, but I'm worried the concussions are taking their toll.

Seabrook's contract was just plain nuts.  The guy was already showing the hard miles and was given 4 years too long on that contract.

You're right, could be a long road back.  Or just one short trek to Jack Hughes, who knows?

Darn it three cups and your polite.  Now I'm going to admit that they should still be better than they did last year, even without Crawford the entire season (who was great when he played which must make things harder for your types,  by that I mean Chicago fans).  I really thought that they still had it in them to be a top team until last season and saw the cracks turn into gushes.  Debricant had me thinking Bowmans done it again and found someone else to come in and keep them under the cap,  Kane deserves props for playing like Crosby in that chips and leftovers are enough etc.  Toews?  Who would have thought his decline would start so early.  Maybe it is just all the hard miles adding up, it happened to some of the NYI legends too (Bossy and to a lesser degree Potvin), both played under and just over a thousand regular season games, plus a ton of playoff ones which are physically much harder (five consecutive finals will add some miles for sure).   Before NSH made things hard on all the fantasy players that picked CHI players pundits had them as possible champs again....

As far as the long long long crack, it's the cap era so you never do know, id certainly never count them out given their pedigree, they should still have one great run left in them, and the two long summers in a row are giving them rest they probably need.

11 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Weber is out until December after having knee surgery two weeks ago.  He will have missed an entire year of hockey by the time get gets back.  Montreal will likely be a lottery team again unless Price can carry the weight for the entire season.  Especially if they end up getting futures in a Pacioretty trade 

Ohhh.  Subban where did you go?   So is Lundqvist or Price going to save their team from a complete tire fire....or neither?   On paper both those teams now looked f$&ked.

56 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ohhh.  Subban where did you go?   So is Lundqvist or Price going to save their team from a complete tire fire....or neither?   On paper both those teams now looked f$&ked.

I’m pretty sure Montreal is starting the year without Shaw and Byron as well 

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’m pretty sure Montreal is starting the year without Shaw and Byron as well 

Ha ha.  I will look forward to watching the Canucks play both OTT and MTL live this year which are the only games I get to these days...hope it's early in the schedule so it's a whooping.  Wonder if OTT plans to play BT...they might simply to put butts in seats.  Melnyk meddles way too much with his team and the fans (asking them for a liver is unreal, and getting one from a fan is just as unreal, I mean who does that?), then last year he had the audacity to blame the fans for not getting a building unless they kept buying tickets with vieled threats of re-location. If he keeps it up effigies of him burning will start landing on the ice shortly.  Bergevin is acting the clown just like he did as a player, he must have dirt on the owners or something, how does he still have a job, and why did he not pick Zadina or BT or even Hughes over a center that is years away, and good odds of never becoming a 1st line center,  and why would he trade a center when he's so thin?  Why didn't he draft BT and move him to the middle, he outplayed Casey M and was the best player as a 17 year old at the WJs...which almost never happens, even McDavid couldn't manage that..just so weird.  

Ok, not to post a retraction from earlier, I still think two or three decent to good teams are going to do what EDM and CHI did last year and end up lottery teams and at least one of the usual suspects are going to move up, but this is my early list of the worst for next season.

DFL

OTT (Melnyk is assisnated)

2.  NYR (full on shameless tank)

3. MTL (price beats Lundqvist)

4.  DET (just bad...really bad)

5.  VAN (this time by design)

6. CAR (moving up..by accident)

7. ARI ( Keller, Galychenyuk..)

8. BUF (Dahlin, Eichel, Dahlin!)

9.  CHI (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!)

10. NYI (no Tavares,enough said)

sure some of these will be wrong, injuries always play into projections.  Honourable mentions to Vegas, Calgary, Edmonton and maybe Florida.

18 hours ago, qwijibo said:

As much as a hate Bergevin, he hasn’t lost trades THAT badly. He’s gotten good value back in the trades. Just not equivalent value.  

According to CDC,  if you're not doing the robbing - then you're the one being robbed lol.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ok, not to post a retraction from earlier, I still think two or three decent to good teams are going to do what EDM and CHI did last year and end up lottery teams and at least one of the usual suspects are going to move up, but this is my early list of the worst for next season.

DFL

OTT (Melnyk is assisnated)

2.  NYR (full on shameless tank)

3. MTL (price beats Lundqvist)

4.  DET (just bad...really bad)

5.  VAN (this time by design)

6. CAR (moving up..by accident)

7. ARI ( Keller, Galychenyuk..)

8. BUF (Dahlin, Eichel, Dahlin!)

9.  CHI (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!)

10. NYI (no Tavares,enough said)

sure some of these will be wrong, injuries always play into projections.  Honourable mentions to Vegas, Calgary, Edmonton and maybe Florida.

1 2 and 3 are about right Det will step forward we will end up. 19 th

I think this season the bottom 4 will be:

28 NYI 

29 VAN - way too many things would have to go favourably for us to finish any higher

30 MTL - only way they finish higher is if Price is a monster all year

31 Ottawa - just a mess

the rangers and wings will probably be close to the bottom too, I think Arizona and Buffalo will be improved next year especially Arizona.

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

1 2 and 3 are about right Det will step forward we will end up. 19 th

L

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

I think this season the bottom 4 will be:

28 NYI 

29 VAN - way too many things would have to go favourably for us to finish any higher

30 MTL - only way they finish higher is if Price is a monster all year

31 Ottawa - just a mess

the rangers and wings will probably be close to the bottom too, I think Arizona and Buffalo will be improved next year especially Arizona.

What makes you think that?  They traded their most consistent forward at the TDL, sure they got Zadina but best case that's a wash (Tarter sauces  fifty points).  For who they have their in a Cap nightmare, and haven't done much of anything this off season...personally I think they are have a very good chance of challenging OTT for DFL, everything they've done the last five years is screwball and it's hard to think they can fix it, and are headed for a long tiresome rebuild with not much in the tank other than Zadina.

edit: Sorry R3la I wasn't responding to you, I think yours makes a lot of sense, again I think Detroit is a mess, and had been since the cap era came in and they got hammered with bad contracts and a prospect pool that's been thin since Zetterberg and Datsyuk, part and parcel with two decades of winning finally catching up with them.   

On 7/13/2018 at 9:47 AM, qwijibo said:

How do you figure? There’s nothing that Vancouver would be willing to give up that would pry Montreal’s 1st away from them 

Ya, given Bergevin's track record, it was a mistake to part ways with Chaput as that is exactly the sort of trade he would have made....

31. Ott

30. Mont

29. Van

28. Ariz

27. NYR

It will be the same story in Van. Start well, injuries, schedule, no depth etc.

One injury to 6 and the Canucks are an AHL team.

*Disclaimer: I hope to hell I am wrong and the offseason is still young.

As a Tanker, I am really mixed as to what I want to happen with Vancouver. I think we will miss the Sedin's Offense to some extent, but over all, I think we are 

harder to play against. Injuries will again dictate how and where we finish. Personally, I have always ridiculed Edmonton for building to be last, as I honestly think 

they have been trying to build their last cup winning team. (Always wanting one more 1st round pick) I do not want to do that...…….but I don't want to be a team

stuck in the middle....so I believe we need another high pick...……..maybe it will happen anyways (not going to start worrying about it now!)

Last year the bottom teams were:...Buffalo 62, Ottawa 67, Arizona 70, Montreal 71, Detroit 73, Vancouver 73, Chicago 76, Rangers 77, Edmonton 78 and NYI 80

This year, my picks for the bottom teams are...Ottawa last, Montreal 2, NYI 3, Detroit 4, Buffalo 5, Chicago 6, Rangers 7, Arizona 8, Vancouver 9, Calgary

I will say this now, if it happens as I have said, I think it will be a mistake on Benning's part, as we will again miss out on an elite Centerman, as we are close 

to having our rebuild complete, and with this coming years draft full of elite Centermen in the top 5, it would be the capper on a long painful ride...…….

I am very curious to see what impact the Sedin's leaving have on our team, as well as the addition of Roussel, Beagle, Schaller, as well as any rookies we have

on the team this year...….It will be interesting!

PS...……...I thing the Islanders are a Brazal injury or slump from really solidifying their hold on the 3rd to last overall position. All of which should make for some

great hockey talk in the year to come. Again, it will be interesting...…...I wonder how Dahlin will fair?

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Who will be at the bottom of the League

As the summer goes by and signings and trades look to be drying up it becomes easier to "guess" where teams will finish the year by opening night when the roster is set it will be easier.

At this time it is looking like Montreal and Ottawa are the candidates for DFL with the Canucks pretty close.

Scoring should go up to a league average of 268 goals per team for the year. The Canucks lost around 50 goals out of the line up and they were already 26 goals behind the league average so in theory they need to pick up 75 or more goals just to be league average. The signings so far don't appear to help this situation very much and for a management group so concerned about putting too much pressure on young players combined with the lack of roster spots available, it will be close.

Montreal might not be there if Price gets back into the groove and Domi meshes with Drouin or Patches. A deal could yet be made that changes their bad luck from last year. They lost a lot of games where they dominated.

Ottawa might quickly turn around even if they do/or do not move Karlsson and/or Ryan, additional help in goal wouldn't hurt. They were only 6 points behind the Canucks and they were really trying to tank and they haven't really lost too much yet. They also have two possible Calder cup players this year.

I don't consider the NYI or NYR because they have very good young players on both teams contributing already. NYR have a couple of Calder possibilities.

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎13 at 8:36 AM, vannuck59 said:

With Jack Hughes draft coming up who will be at the bottom before the lottery and what would you trade for said pick.

My bottom 3 are

Ottawa  /  Colorado owns pick

Montreal

Buffalo

Should we trade  Tanev , Baertschi, plus a conditional pic, for one of these picks 

What would you gamble? 

LOLOL why the hell would a team that thinks they have a top 3 pick coming up trade it for a soon to be past his prime Tanev and a borderline 2nd line winger?  

You want one of those picks and the asking price is Pettersson or Boeser.  Those are the kind of players they're expecting to draft in the top 3.  

Some interesting thoughts on the Canucks placement.  Few wacky thoughts like thinking we are almost an ahl team as well as us needing an elite centerman when we have Pettersson.

Extra talent is always welcome but I know exactly what the Canucks need to get out of the gutter: time.

We have a really stocked forward prospect pool and what will absolutely be a strong if not spectacular #1d.  But these guys will take varying amounts of time to get to their prime. 

Our team is likely going to be more interesting to watch, and faster.  It will likely remain in the gutter for another year.... Only lift comes from other teams tanking badly.

We make our noticable move up the following season.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:18 AM, Fanuck said:

Agreed Alf.  But that's why you fleece one of these dufus GM's  (MB) offseason or very early in the season when they actually believe they're competitive lol. 

so who do we have that more or less equals Phil Kessel?

70 games- 60pts- +23 the year before his trade to TO

Kind of sounds like Brock Boeser

On 20/07/2018 at 4:57 PM, kloubek said:

Some interesting thoughts on the Canucks placement.  Few wacky thoughts like thinking we are almost an ahl team as well as us needing an elite centerman when we have Pettersson.

Extra talent is always welcome but I know exactly what the Canucks need to get out of the gutter: time.

We have a really stocked forward prospect pool and what will absolutely be a strong if not spectacular #1d.  But these guys will take varying amounts of time to get to their prime. 

Our team is likely going to be more interesting to watch, and faster.  It will likely remain in the gutter for another year.... Only lift comes from other teams tanking badly.

We make our noticable move up the following season.

Although I agree with you and have the utmost faith that Pettersson can be the number 1 center of our future. Still unproven. 

What would be ideal for this season. Is to make strides towards a playoff spot, But failing in the last couple weeks. 40-50 points for Pettersson and him proving at some point in the season he can be a center at this level.

Virtanen makes another stride in his development, going from 20+ points to 30+ points, making better reads in the offensive zone and is fully engaged in the backcheck all the time, Which would make him a pain in the ass to play against. 

Hughes is signed at the start of the year and shows us how a powerplay can be run with a wizard on the point. 

Gaudette gets in either at the start of the year or towards the end and gets PP time, PK time and shows us what we know hes capable of. 

Boeser and Horvat take another step. 

Demko gets in at some point in the season and has a strong showing. 

Eriksson has a good season, potting 20+ goals and 40 points. Boosting his trade value, If thats the route we decided to go. 

Sutter has a decent season, 40 plus points with him being the second line center until the TDL. Then we maximize our value and ship him off for a late 1st or a 2nd + 3rd. 

And our prospects continue building on their games. 

Im hoping next offseason we are aggressive in potential big trades. Seeing as our prospect pool is growing, it would be nice if a Trouba was available. I dont feel we are as far off as people say. We probably need another proven scorer, preferrably a LW and a first pairing RD. 

Archived