Sign in to follow this  
vannuck59

[Discussion] Who will be at the bottom of the League

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, -AJ- said:

If Price plays poorly, the Canadiens will be near the bottom. If Ottawa loses Karlsson they too will be in the bottom three. Aside from that, I think the Canucks might be bottom three.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, Toews said:

Somewhere some Montreal fan is thinking Pacioretty+ can fetch the Canuck unprotected 1st because Benning is "desperate*.

I am concerned about this, desperation to make the playoffs regardless of the future. He may feel he already has enough "young" players but his two year deal does put a gun to his head to show something.

Most knowledgeable fans acknowledge that the team, as it is and with the number of unknowns, should have two more years selecting in the top 6 or 7, heaven forbid they actually win a draft lottery. :)

The worst thing that could happen are/is "desperate" moves.

How is the team going to introduce up to 8 draft picks into this line up over the next two years? It is great to talk about the prospects and how good they will be/are and how they will be on the team but it is not that easy, the team only has so many contract slots, only so many that can play in Utica, only so much money. Dealing with guaranteed contracts limits some moves.

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I am concerned about this, desperation to make the playoffs regardless of the future. He may feel he already has enough "young" players but his two year deal does put a gun to his head to show something.

Most knowledgeable fans acknowledge that the team, as it is and with the number of unknowns, should have two more years selecting in the top 6 or 7, heaven forbid they actually win a draft lottery. :)

How is the team going to introduce up to 8 draft picks into this line up over the next two years? It is great to talk about the prospects and how good they will be/are and how they will be on the team but it is not that easy, the team only has so many contract slots, only so many that can play in Utica, only so much money. Dealing with guaranteed contracts limits some moves.

I think JB has a record of keeping his first round picks.  Considering the draft is here in 2019, don’t you think JB likely adds picks?

• Upvote 2

Bottom teams know where they stand and will keep their 1rst round pick. It’s the fringe teams 1rst rounders you should target. Teams that are on the bubble but could falter. Oilers, New Jersey and Dallas could be teams looking to make the playoffs but probably don’t.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Bottom teams know where they stand and will keep their 1rst round pick. It’s the fringe teams 1rst rounders you should target. Teams that are on the bubble but could falter. Oilers, New Jersey and Dallas could be teams looking to make the playoffs but probably don’t.

I see the Ducks and Leafs as dropping out of the playoffs this year.  We should try for their firsts.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think JB has a record of keeping his first round picks.  Considering the draft is here in 2019, don’t you think JB likely adds picks?

That really depends on the "plan", he may feel the need to make some "big" trade, like moving the team's first and more for Karlsson or moving top picks for Nylander or other players like that, he may feel moving those picks is better.

Remember he is the one that traded top 2nd round picks for AHL players and other 1rst round picks for marginal players and told all how good those deals were.

Lets just agree that having Karlsson on the team likely makes it a playoff team, one and done though, and then the rhetoric of "they have to learn to win in the playoffs"

Would you trade next years 1rst plus players/prospects for one year of Karlsson?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see the Ducks and Leafs as dropping out of the playoffs this year.  We should try for their firsts.  

Vegas odds has the Leafs as the cup favorites. Their too 9 looks solid but defense is still questionable.

8 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Its easy in the next 2 years you move in the Following 

Gagner out Pettersson in

Baertschi out Dahlen in

Del Zotto  out Hughes in

Hutton   out Juolevi  in

Roussel out Gadjovich in

Schaller out Lind in

Goldobin out Jasek in

Sutter out Gaudette in

That was easy!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

That really depends on the "plan", he may feel the need to make some "big" trade, like moving the team's first and more for Karlsson or moving top picks for Nylander or other players like that, he may feel moving those picks is better.

Remember he is the one that traded top 2nd round picks for AHL players and other 1rst round picks for marginal players and told all how good those deals were.

Lets just agree that having Karlsson on the team likely makes it a playoff team, one and done though, and then the rhetoric of "they have to learn to win in the playoffs"

Would you trade next years 1rst plus players/prospects for one year of Karlsson?

As a long time Camuck’s fan, and considering the stupidity of trades like Neely, i guess I should be worried history will repeat.  I’m not worried though .. not at all.  JB is not going to trade away any picks or prospects.  I’m super confident on this matter. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who is this? It doesn't "sound" like Alflives.

Detroit will be near the bottom.

Just now, vannuck59 said:

Its easy in the next 2 years you move in the Following 

Gagner out Pettersson in

Baertschi out Dahlen in

Del Zotto  out Hughes in

Hutton   out Juolevi  in

Roussel out Gadjovich in

Schaller out Lind in

Goldobin out Jasek in

Sutter out Gaudette in

That was easy!

I can see some of those through contracts expiring but some of those have "clauses". But that would still have a team of rookies and 2nd year players in 2020, so it is still two more good drafts to go. 

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As a long time Camuck’s fan, and considering the stupidity of trades like Neely, i guess I should be worried history will repeat.  I’m not worried though .. not at all.  JB is not going to trade away any picks or prospects.  I’m super confident on this matter. 

But that is exactly what he has been doing all along. Vey, Etem, Granlund/Baerstchi, Clendening, ….. he hasn't traded for a top 6 forward ortop 4 dman and he has dealt many picks.

• Hydration 1

46 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

But that is exactly what he has been doing all along. Vey, Etem, Granlund/Baerstchi, Clendening, ….. he hasn't traded for a top 6 forward ortop 4 dman and he has dealt many picks.

I accept those moves happened, and (at the time) was against them.  Now I see JB not doing that anymore.  I see him even adding more picks.  I think Hughes going back to college as really good for our draft spot.  He is so good, he would make us too good too soon.  JB will get another top five pick next draft, and then our team will explode into the playoffs!  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

then our team will explode into the playoffs!

The playoffs may happen due to other teams declining over the next two years but I still think fans should stay aware of the Seattle expansion draft's effects AND possible labour trouble in 2020.

Expansion, the team, as it is now, will have 4 contracts they have to protect

52 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The playoffs may happen due to other teams declining over the next two years but I still think fans should stay aware of the Seattle expansion draft's effects AND possible labour trouble in 2020.

Expansion, the team, as it is now, will have 4 contracts they have to protect

They have none.  Expansion is considered to be a movement but not a trade.  Only NMCs have to be protected.  The Canucks only have NTCs.  Eriksson can now be left exposed - his NMC is a NTC going forward.  

20 hours ago, mll said:

They have none.  Expansion is considered to be a movement but not a trade.  Only NMCs have to be protected.  The Canucks only have NTCs.  Eriksson can now be left exposed - his NMC is a NTC going forward.  

Oh yeah, hmmm...maybe that can be a way to move him.

I wonder which option they will go, option 1 or 2, 7F - 3D - 1G or 8FD - 1G, I would think either option could work.

I wonder how a year off at their ages could affect them if there is labour trouble, it could be a positive effect.

Again, if there is a stoppage, the 2020 draft will be very good, that 15/16 yr old kid back east is drawing a lot of attention, how do you think they would they do the draft?

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

JB would not make this trade unless it was for a 2021 draft.

Edited by vannuck59

We will be.

Why does anyone believe we will be better this year? Sedins were still at the top of our team in scoring. Bo's best year was 52 points and he will be our top center. 

We have the worst D in the league. Unless our goal tending suddenly becomes elite we will struggle bid time.

I have real hope for the future just not the immediate one. 

Pettersson and Hughes will need to become big time talents if we are to take the next step.

Last in the league for sure.