The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Situation.

BoHorvat

Just thought I'd speak out here about my situation.

So I had accumulated a few points on my drivers license. I received a suspension which was 4 months. At the time I was working two jobs and couldn't afford to lose my license. I sent in a letter to ICBC explaining why I couldn't afford to lose my license. The letter cost me $100 to send. They went ahead with the suspension regardless. I accepted the suspension and gave in my license. A situation occurred during the 4 months where I had to quickly jump into the car (Stupid decision on my part) and drive a few blocks away from my house. I got pulled over and they impounded the car and gave me a court date, which I had to show up for in court. The original 4 month suspension had ended and I reinstated my license and began to drive again. Now my new court date was just around the corner. I decided to hire a lawyer. In front of the judge my lawyer brought down the new suspension from 12 months to 3 months with a $1000 fine that I had been given 9 months to pay. That same day in court, I needed to sign a few papers stating that my license is suspended until (date after 3 months). The person standing across from the desk explained everything I was signing. He then asked if I have my drivers license ID with me and gave me the choice of handing it over to him or if I don't have it with me, thats alright as well but just know that it's invalid during my suspension. I told him I don't have it with me because I had left it at home.

Now was the time I had to pay my lawyer for his duties of reducing the time of my suspension. I paid him $3000.

3 Months had gone by now and I could finally drive. I took that drivers license that I did not hand over 3 months ago and put it into my wallet and began driving. I was driving for about 2 months now and I got pulled over because of a random plate check. The policeman told me that his computer shows that I am driving while prohibited. I explained to the policeman that I had gone through with my 3 month suspension and it should be fine now. His only response was that his computer says I am prohibited so he has no choice but to impound my car for 7 days and take my drivers license ID. I was confused and called my lawyer right away. He explained that I was suppose to reinstate my license as soon as the 3 months had gone by. (Lawyer should have been the one to tell me that right away. Yes I know, horrible lawyer). So the policeman took my drivers license ID and told me to figure stuff out with ICBC.

I rushed to ICBC as soon as my car was taken away by the tow truck and told them I'd like to reinstate my license. They asked for $250. I paid them and they gave me a yellow piece of paper which says I could drive and they assured me that I would receive my actual drivers license ID in the mail in a few weeks.

I work early mornings. I live in Vancouver but my commute is a long way to Surrey for work. I realized I needed to rent a car for the 7 days. I am 24 years old, so with the underage fees, my total cost for the rental car came to roughly $700.

The 7 days had gone by now and I returned the rental car and took a taxi to the tow yard. I showed them the yellow piece of paper that was my temporary drivers license I received from ICBC. I got the car out and they charged me $387 for the 7 days they held the car there.

So now I had been driving my car to work everyday and 5 weeks had gone by since I reinstated my license and received the yellow paper. Still waiting for my actual ID to come in the mail.

I get pulled over.

The policeman says I am driving while prohibited......again. "Are you kidding me?!"

I explained my entire situation.

ICBC gave me my yellow piece of paper which clearly says this is my temporary drivers license and allows me to drive. They understood what I was trying to get across but they said they had no choice because their computer system says that I am driving while prohibited. They even called ICBC for me and double checked with them and ICBC told them nope his license is prohibited. They had no choice but to impound my car for 7 days (which I will have to pay for again). This was Friday night. I had work Saturday early morning and also Sunday early morning. I had to call in sick for both of those shifts because I had no way of getting to work. Now I am waiting for Monday morning which is my day off so I can speak with a different lawyer that can help me with this situation. I will possibly have to rent another car for me to get to work because there is no transit that can take me to my work at the times my shifts start.

This is ridiculous.

A couple things I don't understand:

1). I had signed the papers in court stating my license was suspended for only 3 months. So why is their computer system still saying I am suspended?

2). If my license was still suspended, why did ICBC give me the yellow paper when I reinstated my license? ICBC is pretty much telling me yes go drive and then I get pulled over to only find out my license is suspended?

I have spent so much money trying to clear this up and it feels like a repeated cycle. I want to spread my story out to everywhere possible. I will be contacting global news and CTV news and hope they can help me spread this message. I will be talking with another lawyer and hoping this clears up and I get reimbursed for everything I've paid from my pocket towards my tows, car rentals and ICBC.

Very unhappy with ICBC.

3 minutes ago, BoHorvat said:

Just thought I'd speak out here about my situation.

So I had accumulated a few points on my drivers license. I received a suspension which was 4 months. At the time I was working two jobs and couldn't afford to lose my license. I sent in a letter to ICBC explaining why I couldn't afford to lose my license. The letter cost me $100 to send. They went ahead with the suspension regardless. I accepted the suspension and gave in my license. A situation occurred during the 4 months where I had to quickly jump into the car (Stupid decision on my part) and drive a few blocks away from my house. I got pulled over and they impounded the car and gave me a court date, which I had to show up for in court. The original 4 month suspension had ended and I reinstated my license and began to drive again. Now my new court date was just around the corner. I decided to hire a lawyer. In front of the judge my lawyer brought down the new suspension from 12 months to 3 months with a $1000 fine that I had been given 9 months to pay. That same day in court, I needed to sign a few papers stating that my license is suspended until (date after 3 months). The person standing across from the desk explained everything I was signing. He then asked if I have my drivers license ID with me and gave me the choice of handing it over to him or if I don't have it with me, thats alright as well but just know that it's invalid during my suspension. I told him I don't have it with me because I had left it at home.

Now was the time I had to pay my lawyer for his duties of reducing the time of my suspension. I paid him $3000.

3 Months had gone by now and I could finally drive. I took that drivers license that I did not hand over 3 months ago and put it into my wallet and began driving. I was driving for about 2 months now and I got pulled over because of a random plate check. The policeman told me that his computer shows that I am driving while prohibited. I explained to the policeman that I had gone through with my 3 month suspension and it should be fine now. His only response was that his computer says I am prohibited so he has no choice but to impound my car for 7 days and take my drivers license ID. I was confused and called my lawyer right away. He explained that I was suppose to reinstate my license as soon as the 3 months had gone by. (Lawyer should have been the one to tell me that right away. Yes I know, horrible lawyer). So the policeman took my drivers license ID and told me to figure stuff out with ICBC.

I rushed to ICBC as soon as my car was taken away by the tow truck and told them I'd like to reinstate my license. They asked for $250. I paid them and they gave me a yellow piece of paper which says I could drive and they assured me that I would receive my actual drivers license ID in the mail in a few weeks.

I work early mornings. I live in Vancouver but my commute is a long way to Surrey for work. I realized I needed to rent a car for the 7 days. I am 24 years old, so with the underage fees, my total cost for the rental car came to roughly $700.

The 7 days had gone by now and I returned the rental car and took a taxi to the tow yard. I showed them the yellow piece of paper that was my temporary drivers license I received from ICBC. I got the car out and they charged me $387 for the 7 days they held the car there.

So now I had been driving my car to work everyday and 5 weeks had gone by since I reinstated my license and received the yellow paper. Still waiting for my actual ID to come in the mail.

I get pulled over.

The policeman says I am driving while prohibited......again. "Are you kidding me?!"

I explained my entire situation.

ICBC gave me my yellow piece of paper which clearly says this is my temporary drivers license and allows me to drive. They understood what I was trying to get across but they said they had no choice because their computer system says that I am driving while prohibited. They even called ICBC for me and double checked with them and ICBC told them nope his license is prohibited. They had no choice but to impound my car for 7 days (which I will have to pay for again). This was Friday night. I had work Saturday early morning and also Sunday early morning. I had to call in sick for both of those shifts because I had no way of getting to work. Now I am waiting for Monday morning which is my day off so I can speak with a different lawyer that can help me with this situation. I will possibly have to rent another car for me to get to work because there is no transit that can take me to my work at the times my shifts start.

This is ridiculous.

A couple things I don't understand:

1). I had signed the papers in court stating my license was suspended for only 3 months. So why is their computer system still saying I am suspended?

2). If my license was still suspended, why did ICBC give me the yellow paper when I reinstated my license? ICBC is pretty much telling me yes go drive and then I get pulled over to only find out my license is suspended?

I have spent so much money trying to clear this up and it feels like a repeated cycle. I want to spread my story out to everywhere possible. I will be contacting global news and CTV news and hope they can help me spread this message. I will be talking with another lawyer and hoping this clears up and I get reimbursed for everything I've paid from my pocket towards my tows, car rentals and ICBC.

Very unhappy with ICBC.

Ya I was thinking half way through the read that hiring another lawyer to go after the first one might be an idea.

gl.

what a nightmare 

How could you stand a chance of winning? You have a government employee(police) ticketing you. You are fighting against a government company who has a monopoly on this province. And you get to go fight them in a government apparatus(court). 

The whole damn thing is just a racket. Very similar to a mob run organization.

I wouldn’t rush to the news with this story.  

It will only expose you.  Lol.  

Lots of points, getting licence taken away.  

Then driving again with a suspended license.  

Then not giving any thought into your own situation and not taking to ICBC before driving again, and blaming your lawyer. 

Dude, you messed up like 20 times.  

The only time you really got screwed was the last impounding. 

When a string of bad things keep happening to someone, the best thing for them to do is take a long hard look at themselves totally honestly.  

More often than not, people find they are the source of their own problems.   Becuase they are stupid. 

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

Ya I was thinking half way through the read that hiring another lawyer to go after the first one might be an idea.

gl.

what a nightmare 

You beat me to it.   That is exactly what I was going to write:    WHAT a NIGHTMARE . . .

A few points doesn't get your license suspended. I've had a Driver's License for over 30 years and not one ticket. Yet I've had parking tickets, my car was towed by the city of Vancouver because I parked too close to the curb. Driving without a license or while your suspended is bad. That means if you're in an accident your insurance doesn't cover you. 

Sounds to me you need to take a deep breath. Get a drivers abstract and take a good look at it. Maybe your driving habits, or likely BAD habits are the source of the problem.

Maybe find a place that close to work so you can either walk, bike to work each day. Maybe examine what your getting prohibited for? Correct the problem and you won't get into problems.

- Dangerous driving?

- Drinking and driving?

- Drugs?

The life you save might be your own. Maybe learn from this, talk to your family about maybe taking some driving courses. Work on being a better driver. 

Not just for yourself, but for others on the road. 

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

A few points doesn't get your license suspended. I've had a Driver's License for over 30 years and not one ticket. Yet I've had parking tickets, my car was towed by the city of Vancouver because I parked too close to the curb. Driving without a license or while your suspended is bad. That means if you're in an accident your insurance doesn't cover you. 

Sounds to me you need to take a deep breath. Get a drivers abstract and take a good look at it. Maybe your driving habits, or likely BAD habits are the source of the problem.

Maybe find a place that close to work so you can either walk, bike to work each day. Maybe examine what your getting prohibited for? Correct the problem and you won't get into problems.

- Dangerous driving?

- Drinking and driving?

- Drugs?

The life you save might be your own. Maybe learn from this, talk to your family about maybe taking some driving courses. Work on being a better driver. 

Good Point. . .   But when I read it, it seemed like he had lots of bad luck as well.  It has to be something to have your license suspended in the first place.

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

- Dangerous driving?

- Drinking and driving?

- Drugs?

Yep Drivers abstract will definately tell you what you would want to know. Save your money too many people rely on a vehicle way too much these days and you might benefit more from walking, riding bike whatever. I live in AB and there is a guy around my town who is nearly blind and he has been in more accidents than I can count on each finger and somehow he still has a license. Point is your probably better off without one.

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

Short term fix, maybe get an Alberta license and insurance? I'm not sure how long both are valid for a person living in BC?

You might need to check with...……………….      ICBC.

Better off to move to Alberta then. 

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

Short term fix, maybe get an Alberta license and insurance? I'm not sure how long both are valid for a person living in BC?

You might need to check with...……………….      ICBC.

People running that scam suck

Archived