The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Situation.

BoHorvat

53 years old, one speeding ticket 9 years ago, pulled over 4 times my entire time driving.... wtf are you doing that makes you such a heat score?? Not trying to be a dick here but maybe you need some driving lessons? 

41 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

53 years old, one speeding ticket 9 years ago, pulled over 4 times my entire time driving.... wtf are you doing that makes you such a heat score?? Not trying to be a dick here but maybe you need some driving lessons? 

I'm 39 and I've had 3 my entire life with one last year...and I speed about 10-15 over on my bike a fair bit...   I have no idea how someone gets pulled over so much.....

Get everything in writing. Always. The person issuing your yellow temp license is a disgruntled (they're all miserable SOBs at ICBC - half my psych based case load are ICBC employees) employee who doesn't care about you or their job. They may have issued that temp license and not changed it in the system, but because you didn't get it in writing, stating ICBC re-instates your license, you have no case.

7 hours ago, BoHorvat said:

Just thought I'd speak out here about my situation.

So I had accumulated a few points on my drivers license. How many infractions and for what? I received a suspension which was 4 months. At the time I was working two jobs and couldn't afford to lose my license. I sent in a letter to ICBC explaining why I couldn't afford to lose my license. If this scam worked, nobody would ever lose their license. The letter cost me $100 to send. They went ahead with the suspension regardless. I accepted the suspension and gave in my license. A situation occurred during the 4 months where I had to quickly jump into the car (Stupid decision on my part) and drive a few blocks away from my house. Sounds fishy, your car was just sitting idling for four months? You broke the conditions of your suspension. You made 2 mistakes, firstly you jumped into the wrong seat (drivers), second (and I am presuming) you drove quickly. I got pulled over and they impounded the car and gave me a court date, which I had to show up for in court. The original 4 month suspension had ended and I reinstated (see below) my license and began to drive again. Now my new court date was just around the corner. I decided to hire a lawyer. In front of the judge my lawyer brought down the new suspension from 12 months to 3 months with a $1000 fine that I had been given 9 months to pay. That same day in court, I needed to sign a few papers you were probably meant to read these papers, they are the conditions of your suspension and terms of re-instatement of your license  stating that my license is suspended until (date after 3 months). The person standing across from the desk explained everything I was signing. He then asked if I have my drivers license ID with me and gave me the choice of handing it over to him or if I don't have it with me, thats alright as well but just know that it's invalid during my suspension. I told him I don't have it with me because I had left it at home. sounds fishy, who leaves their license at home when attending traffic court?

Now was the time I had to pay my lawyer for his duties of reducing the time of my suspension. I paid him $3000. that sounds like good value for someone wo has been caught driving while suspended

3 Months had gone by now and I could finally drive. I took that drivers license that I did not hand over 3 months ago and put it into my wallet and began driving. Note above where you had your license re-instated. why did you not follow the same procedure this time? What made you think that your license was re-instated when you did not re-apply? I was driving for about 2 months now and I got pulled over because of a random plate check. The policeman told me that his computer shows that I am driving while prohibited. I explained to the policeman that I had gone through with my 3 month suspension and it should be fine now.  either it is or it isn't, there is no reason for should. His only response was that his computer says I am prohibited so he has no choice but to impound my car for 7 days and take my drivers license ID. I was confused and called my lawyer right away. He explained that I was suppose to reinstate my license as soon as the 3 months had gone by. (Lawyer should have been the one to tell me that right away. Yes I know, horrible lawyer). Is that why you hired the lawyer? or was it to get yoour sentence reduced from 12 months to 3? Lawyers do not offer free advice. So the policeman took my drivers license ID and told me to figure stuff out with ICBC. You should have done this at several points earlier, certainly before you drove while suspended.

I rushed you seem to do a lot of rushing without considering the consequences to ICBC as soon as my car was taken away by the tow truck and told them I'd like to reinstate my license. They asked for $250. I paid them and they gave me a yellow piece of paper which says I could drive and they assured me that I would receive my actual drivers license ID in the mail in a few weeks. Pretty sure that little yellow piece of paper has an expiry date, the same as DL and credit cards

I work early mornings. I live in Vancouver but my commute is a long way to Surrey for work. I realized I needed to rent a car for the 7 days. I am 24 years old, so with the underage fees, my total cost for the rental car came to roughly $700.

The 7 days had gone by now and I returned the rental car and took a taxi to the tow yard. I showed them the yellow piece of paper that was my temporary drivers license I received from ICBC. I got the car out and they charged me $387 for the 7 days they held the car there.

So now I had been driving my car to work everyday and 5 weeks had gone by since I reinstated my license and received the yellow paper. Still waiting for my actual ID to come in the mail. You did not think to enquire as to why you have not received your license in the mail

I get pulled over. Again, ( I was young once, I know how it is)

The policeman says I am driving while prohibited......again. "Are you kidding me?!"

I explained my entire situation.

ICBC gave me my yellow piece of paper which clearly says this is my temporary drivers license and allows me to drive. They understood what I was trying to get across but they said they had no choice because their computer system says that I am driving while prohibited. They even called ICBC for me and double checked with them and ICBC told them nope his license is prohibited. They had no choice but to impound my car for 7 days (which I will have to pay for again). This was Friday night. I had work Saturday early morning and also Sunday early morning. I had to call in sick for both of those shifts because I had no way of getting to work. You can't rent a car on Saturdays? Now I am waiting for Monday morning which is my day off so I can speak with a different lawyer that can help me with this situation. I will possibly have to rent another car for me to get to work because there is no transit that can take me to my work at the times my shifts start.

This is ridiculous.

A couple things I don't understand:

1). I had signed the papers in court stating my license was suspended for only 3 months. So why is their computer system still saying I am suspended?
Because there is no automatic re-instatement. Did you read anywhere where it said that your license would be automatically re-instated? 

2). If my license was still suspended, why did ICBC give me the yellow paper when I reinstated my license? ICBC is pretty much telling me yes go drive and then I get pulled over to only find out my license is suspended? You might have a case here, but my bet is that you drove for too long on the paper licese and did not persue you plastic license when it did not appear in the mail.

I have spent so much money trying to clear this up and it feels like a repeated cycle. I feel your pain here. But you would have been better to take a driving course after (or before) your first suspension. I want to spread my story out to everywhere possible. I will be contacting global news and CTV news If you take ths to the media, you will be asking to look like a fool. and hope they can help me spread this message. I will be talking with another lawyer and hoping this clears up and I get reimbursed for everything I've paid from my pocket towards my tows, car rentals and ICBC. You have made many mistakes and you may have a case on point 2 above, maybe. You have made several assumptions and in the words of Felix Unger, "When you assume, yu make an ass of u and me"

Very unhappy with ICBC.  By my score, ICBC 8 - you 1 (maybe) 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Better off to move to Alberta then. 

Alberta will not give you a license if you are suspended somewhere else in Canada

or are you just trying to get him off our streets? wink

29 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Get everything in writing. Always. The person issuing your yellow temp license is a disgruntled (they're all miserable SOBs at ICBC - half my psych based case load are ICBC employees) employee who doesn't care about you or their job. They may have issued that temp license and not changed it in the system, but because you didn't get it in writing, stating ICBC re-instates your license, you have no case.

LOL   SMH

10 hours ago, BoHorvat said:

3 Months had gone by now and I could finally drive. I took that drivers license that I did not hand over 3 months ago and put it into my wallet and began driving.

You have to re-instate your DL after you've been suspended.

36 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

That's exactly what I think happened. 

And because of that it automatically shows up on the police radar that my car is flagged. So its an automatic pull over.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Police don't just run your plates.

They do.

I agree I've made mistakes in the past.

I'm being completely honest in my story otherwise I wouldn't say I had gotten suspended twice. What I'm trying to say is, I dealt with the consequences and this is what they are doing now. They literally gave me a license so I could only get pulled over and be explained that I have no license. Why didn't they just not give it to me at the ICBC? 

I wonder what your infractions are ? why no front story on how you got all these points? why blame icbc you put yourself in this position , you had several chances to adjust your driving habits and you decide not to? and then you had to hire a lawyer and then you bitch about having to rent a car lol. sounds like icbc did the rest of us a favour by suspending your license   .   so please go to global tv  so we can laugh and mock you lol

34 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Police don't just run your plates.

Depends on what you drive, when I’m in my Lincoln... I get pulled over more than what’s necessary.  One of my associates says the same about when he drives his Corvette. If you drive some S*** box Honda or Toyota or smart car, they won’t bother you.

11 hours ago, BoHorvat said:

Just thought I'd speak out here about my situation.

So I had accumulated a few points on my drivers license. I received a suspension which was 4 months. At the time I was working two jobs and couldn't afford to lose my license. I sent in a letter to ICBC explaining why I couldn't afford to lose my license. The letter cost me $100 to send. They went ahead with the suspension regardless. I accepted the suspension and gave in my license. A situation occurred during the 4 months where I had to quickly jump into the car (Stupid decision on my part) and drive a few blocks away from my house. I got pulled over and they impounded the car and gave me a court date, which I had to show up for in court. The original 4 month suspension had ended and I reinstated my license and began to drive again. Now my new court date was just around the corner. I decided to hire a lawyer. In front of the judge my lawyer brought down the new suspension from 12 months to 3 months with a $1000 fine that I had been given 9 months to pay. That same day in court, I needed to sign a few papers stating that my license is suspended until (date after 3 months). The person standing across from the desk explained everything I was signing. He then asked if I have my drivers license ID with me and gave me the choice of handing it over to him or if I don't have it with me, thats alright as well but just know that it's invalid during my suspension. I told him I don't have it with me because I had left it at home.

Now was the time I had to pay my lawyer for his duties of reducing the time of my suspension. I paid him $3000.

3 Months had gone by now and I could finally drive. I took that drivers license that I did not hand over 3 months ago and put it into my wallet and began driving. I was driving for about 2 months now and I got pulled over because of a random plate check. The policeman told me that his computer shows that I am driving while prohibited. I explained to the policeman that I had gone through with my 3 month suspension and it should be fine now. His only response was that his computer says I am prohibited so he has no choice but to impound my car for 7 days and take my drivers license ID. I was confused and called my lawyer right away. He explained that I was suppose to reinstate my license as soon as the 3 months had gone by. (Lawyer should have been the one to tell me that right away. Yes I know, horrible lawyer). So the policeman took my drivers license ID and told me to figure stuff out with ICBC.

I rushed to ICBC as soon as my car was taken away by the tow truck and told them I'd like to reinstate my license. They asked for $250. I paid them and they gave me a yellow piece of paper which says I could drive and they assured me that I would receive my actual drivers license ID in the mail in a few weeks.

I work early mornings. I live in Vancouver but my commute is a long way to Surrey for work. I realized I needed to rent a car for the 7 days. I am 24 years old, so with the underage fees, my total cost for the rental car came to roughly $700.

The 7 days had gone by now and I returned the rental car and took a taxi to the tow yard. I showed them the yellow piece of paper that was my temporary drivers license I received from ICBC. I got the car out and they charged me $387 for the 7 days they held the car there.

So now I had been driving my car to work everyday and 5 weeks had gone by since I reinstated my license and received the yellow paper. Still waiting for my actual ID to come in the mail.

I get pulled over.

The policeman says I am driving while prohibited......again. "Are you kidding me?!"

I explained my entire situation.

ICBC gave me my yellow piece of paper which clearly says this is my temporary drivers license and allows me to drive. They understood what I was trying to get across but they said they had no choice because their computer system says that I am driving while prohibited. They even called ICBC for me and double checked with them and ICBC told them nope his license is prohibited. They had no choice but to impound my car for 7 days (which I will have to pay for again). This was Friday night. I had work Saturday early morning and also Sunday early morning. I had to call in sick for both of those shifts because I had no way of getting to work. Now I am waiting for Monday morning which is my day off so I can speak with a different lawyer that can help me with this situation. I will possibly have to rent another car for me to get to work because there is no transit that can take me to my work at the times my shifts start.

This is ridiculous.

A couple things I don't understand:

1). I had signed the papers in court stating my license was suspended for only 3 months. So why is their computer system still saying I am suspended?

2). If my license was still suspended, why did ICBC give me the yellow paper when I reinstated my license? ICBC is pretty much telling me yes go drive and then I get pulled over to only find out my license is suspended?

I have spent so much money trying to clear this up and it feels like a repeated cycle. I want to spread my story out to everywhere possible. I will be contacting global news and CTV news and hope they can help me spread this message. I will be talking with another lawyer and hoping this clears up and I get reimbursed for everything I've paid from my pocket towards my tows, car rentals and ICBC.

Very unhappy with ICBC.

tough situation. I am thinking its like some others have said, seems like its an admin. error at ICBC. My driving history from when I was around your age is way worse than yours from what you have described and I have never had the problems you are having. Drove with just my "L" for multiple years got a bunch of tickets had my "L" suspended 3 times still drove anyways. never handed it in at suspension never went in to have it reinstated when the suspensions were over. When I got my "N" again lots of tickets even one for blowing over 0 (I came in at .03) that  got me a 12 hour suspension and my car impounded. luckily for me I got in for my class 5 road test and passed it before my 30 day appeal window closed or my "N" would have been suspended and I would have had to start the 2 year waiting period over again. I did still get an angry letter from the super intendant of motor vehicles though, but dodged the suspension. since then I have been pulled over once for speeding on the #1 between hope and bridal falls of all places.

Driving is a priveledge, not a right.  50 year driver with 3 tickets, 2 accidents (1 my fault) and consistently drive 10-15 over all the time. People need to take more responsibility for their actions and not blame others or the system for the troubles they created. 

Archived