The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we give Bo the "C"? POLL

Gator

Who should wear the "C"   

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and on and on this issue goes

bo does not need a C on his jersey to cement his value to the canucks

the canuck team will do just fine whether or not they have a formal captain or not

it will make zero difference to their on ice performance

this issue really is so much less important then so many on these boards realize

I agree with the Horvat comment and that the one ice performance likely wouldn't change much if we have a Captain or not, but it is important to have a leadership group that both the vets and the youth respect.   I'm for no C to start the year, the Canucks past Captains have been Smyle, Linden, Messier, Naslund, Luongo, H Sedin etc for the most part pretty big shoes to fill.  Of that group my hope is we can get a Captain in the mould of Smyle/Linden next time, no need to rush.  Boeser and Horvat both have leadership abilities and I'm not convinced yet that they are the right choice but would probably be happy with either when they are ready.  Hard pass in Edler, no to Tanev can't do that role from the infirmary,  Gudbranson is a maybe but see Tanev for now at least, which leaves Sutter, but I'm all for trading him at the TDL this year as he has value and is replaceable by the youth coming up (Gaudette probably).   

What are we talking about waiting 2-3 seasons for? 

Is the team making wine? 

Naslund was with the team for 4 years and got the C in 2000.

Guess what Horvat has played for 4 years and is one of our best Centres. 

If they want to rotate that's fine. But maybe let the players decide? Or is that too novel of a thought? 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

I agree with the Horvat comment and that the one ice performance likely wouldn't change much if we have a Captain or not, but it is important to have a leadership group that both the vets and the youth respect.   I'm for no C to start the year, the Canucks past Captains have been Smyle, Linden, Messier, Naslund, Luongo, H Sedin etc for the most part pretty big shoes to fill.  Of that group my hope is we can get a Captain in the mould of Smyle/Linden next time, no need to rush.  Boeser and Horvat both have leadership abilities and I'm not convinced yet that they are the right choice but would probably be happy with either when they are ready.  Hard pass in Edler, no to Tanev can't do that role from the infirmary,  Gudbranson is a maybe but see Tanev for now at least, which leaves Sutter, but I'm all for trading him at the TDL this year as he has value and is replaceable by the youth coming up (Gaudette probably).   

i think you have hit the nail on the head about a 1 or 2 year placeholder captain

all of the vets are potential trade bait

it does not harm the team for the youth to develop a bit more

so that a captain begins to stand out among all our highly talented prospects

and not go with the 1st one who developed

and gave fans some new hope

(and i think bo has demonstrated he has all the required elements to be a captain)

12 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

For me, not yet. Honestly I believe we should hand it to Tanev. Give Bo and Edler/Boeser the "A"

Why would we “give” a player a letter?  The player “earns” a letter.

without doubt Bo “earned” the C.  

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

and on and on this issue goes

bo does not need a C on his jersey to cement his value to the canucks

the canuck team will do just fine whether or not they have a formal captain or not

it will make zero difference to their on ice performance

this issue really is so much less important then so many on these boards realize

WELL said and even though I did comment about it, I could not agree with you more.   We have a ton of issues.

12 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Do we give Bo the "C"? 

If you do that, Bo becomes "Boc" and that just sounds too confusion with "Brock".   So, no, not the "C".   Give him the "N" and then he can be "Bon" which will make them annoyed for games in Quebec but also he can be the next big Bon after Bon Scott.    A "B" would just put in a massive list of same people.

So, no, not a "C".

Isn't summer on CDC fun?

Yes. I think we should get it over with ASAP; new era with Bo as the leader.

I think Edler, Tanev from D's and Sutter, Eriksson among F's should share the A. Vets to support the new and young captain. 

3 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

yah for sure.. just wondering why you picked Tan & Sut for home and Ed & Lou for away... like being fan favorites or having better away stats or whatever

Could be any combo of the 4 just having the vets backing the young C is ideal while he adjusts to the new role. 

I dont think there is any doubt that BO is the new Captain of the team. He seems to have all the tools and at this time probably is the only one that has the tools to be Captain. Sutter maybe. It looks like they have been grooming Bo for this role for a couple years.

To be completely honest I cant believe anyone on this board questioning him as the next C.  As a fan that sits in the stands or watches on TV you have no idea who says what or does what in the dressing room or on the bus or on the flight or in the weight room or who goes to get young players as they come into the team. Myself included. Just because you like another player better doesn't mean he should be the captain of the team or alternate. This wait for a couple years until he has earned it thing is just disrespectful.

Leadership will show itself regardless of whether a player has a C or A on their jersey.It also comes out at the needed times and we as fans are not necessarily always aware if it.

Lastly the fans don't get to "vote "for the next Captain. We really have no say in it. Unless I am mistaken its usually voted on in the room by the players themselves as the Captain is the voice heard by the coaching staff, the media and most often the team.

26 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I dont think there is any doubt that BO is the new Captain of the team. He seems to have all the tools and at this time probably is the only one that has the tools to be Captain. Sutter maybe. It looks like they have been grooming Bo for this role for a couple years.

To be completely honest I cant believe anyone on this board questioning him as the next C.  As a fan that sits in the stands or watches on TV you have no idea who says what or does what in the dressing room or on the bus or on the flight or in the weight room or who goes to get young players as they come into the team. Myself included. Just because you like another player better doesn't mean he should be the captain of the team or alternate. This wait for a couple years until he has earned it thing is just disrespectful.

Leadership will show itself regardless of whether a player has a C or A on their jersey.It also comes out at the needed times and we as fans are not necessarily always aware if it.

Lastly the fans don't get to "vote "for the next Captain. We really have no say in it. Unless I am mistaken its usually voted on in the room by the players themselves as the Captain is the voice heard by the coaching staff, the media and most often the team.

I think everyone probably agrees that he is the future Captain but should that be next year? Still pretty young so is it better for his development to focus on improving this game now and take over Captain duties in 2 or 3 years? IMHO not a question of if but when is best.

16 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I think everyone probably agrees that he is the future Captain but should that be next year? Still pretty young so is it better for his development to focus on improving this game now and take over Captain duties in 2 or 3 years? IMHO not a question of if but when is best.

McDavid got the C when?

Toews at 22

Crosby at 23

and again we have no say in this.

Bo may be young but he's not new to the NHL and has been tutored well in how an NHLer conducts himself on and off the ice.

He's seen a lot of games in his young career and has plenty to teach inexperienced players trying to find their way in the pro game.

At no time was his importance to this team better demonstrated than the significant drop in the teams play after his injury in December. It is no coincidence that both Baer's and Boeser's production began to drop following Bo's injury and the subsequent drop in team success.

Bo may not be the top producer on this team, but he is the gear that powers it. 

He should, absolutely, get the captaincy.  

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If you do that, Bo becomes "Boc" and that just sounds too confusion with "Brock".   So, no, not the "C".   Give him the "N" and then he can be "Bon" which will make them annoyed for games in Quebec but also he can be the next big Bon after Bon Scott.    A "B" would just put in a massive list of same people.

So, no, not a "C".

Isn't summer on CDC fun?

PERFECT PROOF that we have nothing going on in Canuck Ville . . .   AND you are the first person that I ever gave a "HA HA" emoji on this fan page!!!

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

McDavid got the C when?

Toews at 22

Crosby at 23

and again we have no say in this.

Crosby is at a totally different level then most players so IMO can't really include him as a comparable. Would put Toews in that level as well...his nickname is captain serious for a reason haha. Their results obviously tell the story re: what good captains they are.

McDavid is also all world but I wouldn't have made him captain if I was the coach. The dude is the best scorer in the league so let him score...why burden him with Captain duties at such a young age. 

Have nothing against Bo being captain but hope the team doesn't push it earlier that they have to.

It would be crazy to give Horvat the C right now, he would have to stand in front the camera talking about losing way too much, it could put too much pressure on him to try to get the team winning, a team that is borderline. Just think back to the last three years Hank had to be in front of the cameras. If this was a winning team already, then sure, I is a good idea. But to have him stand there now and take the heat, better to let a grizzled vet like Sutter deal with the magnifying glass for another year or two.

Horvat already leads by example on the ice.

1 hour ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Crosby is at a totally different level then most players so IMO can't really include him as a comparable. Would put Toews in that level as well...his nickname is captain serious for a reason haha. Their results obviously tell the story re: what good captains they are.

McDavid is also all world but I wouldn't have made him captain if I was the coach. The dude is the best scorer in the league so let him score...why burden him with Captain duties at such a young age. 

Have nothing against Bo being captain but hope the team doesn't push it earlier that they have to.

That's not true. You can be a great goal scorer, but not a leader. Just because you rack up points doesn't mean you know how to lead. You can still have a voice in the room. It helps if you're a centre as a position. As you have defensive responsibilities, as well as distributing the puck, and scoring yourself. So centres generally speaking with their job have to have some leadership even if it's just one line.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why would we “give” a player a letter?  The player “earns” a letter.

without doubt Bo “earned” the C.  

I really like Horvat and think he's an important part of the next core, and is a front runner to be the next Captain, but I think sayings he's earned it without a doubt is a big stretch.  H. Sedin, Naslund and Linden earned it, that's what you want from a captain, and I do hope Horvat aspires to be that guy.   There is a reason he hasn't gotten the A yet, we don't know much of anything that goes inside the dressing room except the odd comment from management and the Sedins which so far have been diplomatic when asked about Horvat assuming that position.   Leadership is hard to learn, you either have it or don't, when Landeskog was been interviewed pre-draft one team came out saying they wanted to go to f$&king war with this guy and it's no surprise he was named Captain almost right away.  That's not Horvat, he might be the sexy pick but also might be the wrong one too, nothing is worse than naming a C and then having to strip it later (see Linden Messier although that was completely different).  

We have a new team with a new core,  I'm more in favour of waiting to see how things go before rushing into it, and would much rather see Sutter get the C if we must even go that far (not naming a C for a year is my first choice).  If Horvat earns the C by getting vocal and the guys attention in the dressing room than great (something he's reportedly not really active with yet).  If he goes Sakic/Naslund and does his talking on the ice than great too. 

Pettersson and Boeser might do things to earn it too, same with even a guy like Dahlen.  We have other guys with a pedigree of leadership also currently on the team (guys that captained teams before) management knows this and I'm not sure what they plan to do, if it's Horvat I trust they did it for a reason and that he's really earned it, looking back on the Cs we've had whoever it is has some big shoes to fill...

17 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

We?  No.  The canucks? Yes. 

Lol came here to say that. 

We we don’t do Jack Schitt. Management can give it to the best player for the job. If it’s Bo, awesome, Edler, awesome, Sutter, awesome, heck even Boeser, sure why not. They know more than we all do. 

...Unless someone here is in the locker room on a regular basis :P

Archived