The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we give Bo the "C"? POLL

Gator

Who should wear the "C"   

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes! This would be a great statement for BoHo! He is already a leader, so give him the C and continues to build a Team around him. Maybe he could be our next Trevor Linden in the new age.. (I don't want to compare him with Linden)

BO FOR C! :canucks:

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That's not true. You can be a great goal scorer, but not a leader. Just because you rack up points doesn't mean you know how to lead. You can still have a voice in the room. It helps if you're a centre as a position. As you have defensive responsibilities, as well as distributing the puck, and scoring yourself. So centres generally speaking with their job have to have some leadership even if it's just one line.

Isn't that basically what I just wrote?

I think ultimately Bo gets the C but we'll probably do 3 A's this year, likely Bo and two veterans. Bo's a bit green still. Give him his first full season with a letter and let him take over the team with his play and conduct. I dont doubt that he will rise to that challenge. I just feel like him becoming the leader sets a better foundation for him and the team long term than handing him the title the first year the sedins are gone.

I just really hope it is not given to Sutter, Edler, or Tanev. Sutter is not a battler, he is a talker, Edler might he the shyest person in hockey and is certainly the most boring interview, and Tanev looks like he is high on bc bud all the time. All good players and possibly leaders behind the scenes. but the face of the franchise? Please god no.

19 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I dont think there is any doubt that BO is the new Captain of the team. He seems to have all the tools and at this time probably is the only one that has the tools to be Captain. Sutter maybe. It looks like they have been grooming Bo for this role for a couple years.

To be completely honest I cant believe anyone on this board questioning him as the next C.  As a fan that sits in the stands or watches on TV you have no idea who says what or does what in the dressing room or on the bus or on the flight or in the weight room or who goes to get young players as they come into the team. Myself included. Just because you like another player better doesn't mean he should be the captain of the team or alternate. This wait for a couple years until he has earned it thing is just disrespectful.

Leadership will show itself regardless of whether a player has a C or A on their jersey.It also comes out at the needed times and we as fans are not necessarily always aware if it.

Lastly the fans don't get to "vote "for the next Captain. We really have no say in it. Unless I am mistaken its usually voted on in the room by the players themselves as the Captain is the voice heard by the coaching staff, the media and most often the team.

We definitely don't get a vote but it isn't really a bad thing to debate among the fans.  For some (me included) no disrespect meant on waiting a while before giving Horvat the C, respect is shown in a different way by wanting to make sure he's both ready and really is the one in the dressing room if they passed a hat around and asked for everyone in the room to put a name in for the next captain (which has happened but not for a while).  When Bobby Clarke was asked to be the next Captain he said no the first couple times, we really don't know what's going on with Bo and his teammates, maybe he'd prefer to wait too.

Hope he is the next one, he has that small town morality to him that's very appealing, strong as a bull, engaging, clutch experience, PPG gone up year after year, and he's Canadian, which is something we haven't home grown since Linden....I'll be stoked when they give him the C, whether it's opening night or near the end of the season, as long as he's ready and willing.

Without knowing what goes on behind closed doors we do not see who is doing the talking in the dressing room etc etc. 

We may or may not think a player is a good captain by his play on the ice... impossible for us fans to have he proper insight.

That being said I would choose horvat by his hard work on the ice and i assume off the ice as a great example to his teammates of what you need to do to prepare for games.

I'm wondering - if they don't give the "C" to Horvat, what does that say?

Bo was one of the first real good prospects to join the team, he's been groomed over the last 2-3 years to be the next captain, mature beyond his years, he works harder than anyone on the team (I have a feeling), he takes his job very seriously. He has the respect of team mates, coaches, referees and media, he's comfortable talking with the media. He's the best player on the team, aside from maybe Boeser, but Boeser will not be captain. 

I don't see the point in making a player captain who will not be around in 5+ years (eg. Tanev, Edler, etc.)

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

We definitely don't get a vote but it isn't really a bad thing to debate among the fans.  For some (me included) no disrespect meant on waiting a while before giving Horvat the C, respect is shown in a different way by wanting to make sure he's both ready and really is the one in the dressing room if they passed a hat around and asked for everyone in the room to put a name in for the next captain (which has happened but not for a while).  When Bobby Clarke was asked to be the next Captain he said no the first couple times, we really don't know what's going on with Bo and his teammates, maybe he'd prefer to wait too.

Hope he is the next one, he has that small town morality to him that's very appealing, strong as a bull, engaging, clutch experience, PPG gone up year after year, and he's Canadian, which is something we haven't home grown since Linden....I'll be stoked when they give him the C, whether it's opening night or near the end of the season, as long as he's ready and willing.

we usually agree on most things Ibatch but on this one i think he is ready. He has had 4 years to learn and become the leader of this group. Nazzy had 4 years before he became captain, Henrik the same. Age does not define leadership or maturity.

Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em. Shakespeare.

Bobby Clarke became captain at 23

Crosby 19

Toews 20

Sakic 21

Yzerman 21

Linden 21

Horvat is 23 and has 4 seasons under his belt. He is ready and should be named the next Captain of the Canucks.IMHO

58 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

we usually agree on most things Ibatch but on this one i think he is ready. He has had 4 years to learn and become the leader of this group. Nazzy had 4 years before he became captain, Henrik the same. Age does not define leadership or maturity.

Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em. Shakespeare.

Crosby 19

Toews 20

Sakic 21

Yzerman 21

Linden 21

Horvat is 23 and has 4 seasons under his belt. He is ready and should be named the next Captain of the Canucks.IMHO

Agree...

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Crosby 19

Toews 20

Sakic 21

Yzerman 21

Linden 21

No worries, the team will bestow that honour when he is, maybe to start the season.  I've noticed we are usually on the same page too, I'm all for Horvat getting the C as soon as they feel he's ready, some big shoes to fill given for the most part we've had some amazing athletes/leaders the past 48 years, I'm sure adding him to the List will only make it look better when we look back in the future.

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, LowerMainLander18 said:

Currently if we had to pick..then yes.

But we should go without one to start the season.

Ugh, no captain to start the season.  Nothing shows a lack of belief in the entire team than that.  Or maybe make Markstrom the captain, right?!!! 

Bo is young but he is ready.  Making Bo captain would send the right message to fans as well......youth will be served.  Give an 'A' to a veteran but otherwise let the young guys grow with confidence.

If the team wants to make a statement and show dedication to the rebuild, they give Bo the C now. He's going into (IIRC) his fifth season and the time has come. Henrik should ceremoniously give him the C before the start of the first regular season game. Gets it over and done with and takes one more talking point away from the bloodthirsty Vancouver sports media.

I think Gudbranson would be a good suitor for the role. Buy the kids some time.

The issue with Edler is if we make him Captain then we can't really flip him at the TDL. If we keep him were admitting Hutton or Pouliot aren't nhl regulars because Juolevi and Hughes will be full-timers next season. Unless Pouliot is kept as a right side guy.

Archived