Canucks Community

[Signing] Montreal re-signs forward Philip Danault. 3 years $3.083m AAV

qwijibo

49m ago

Canadiens agree to 3-year deal with Danault

TSN.ca Staff

•  

Karlsson not happy with lack of bonus money in offer; Knights sign Fleury

The Montreal Canadiens have agreed to a three-year deal with forward Phillip Danault worth $3.083 million per season, the club announced Saturday. He will become an unrestricted free agent in July of 2021.

Last season, Danault had eight goals to go along with 17 assists in 52 games. 

He was selected No. 26 overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2011 NHL Draft and played his first two seasons in the Windy City. 

Danault was acquired by Montreal in February of 2016 along with a second round pick in exchange for Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann. For his NHL career, he has 25 goals and 50 assists in 187 games. 

The 25-year-old is a native of Victoriaville, Que. 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Danault is a solid player.  Regardless of him 

being French it was a no brainer getting him signed.  

So signing a guy with 25 career goals in 187 games (2-3 FULL years of playing) for 3 million is ok, but Gagner who has outscored him, many many times over, gets bashed for basically the same price. Haha. I get it, they're two completely different players, yet people just find a reason to whine about anything.

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So signing a guy with 25 career goals in 187 games (2-3 FULL years of playing) for 3 million is ok, but Gagner who has outscored him, many many times over, gets bashed for basically the same price. Haha. I get it, they're two completely different players, yet people just find a reason to whine about anything.

I don’t see what one has to do with the other.  Danault is 25 and fills a need in Montreal where they are very thin down the middle.  It’s a good signing for Montreal. Bringing Ganger into the conversation doesn’t really make sense to me. 

3 hours ago, NHL'er said:

155qnb5.png

Marc Bergevin believes that Quebecois forests are crucial to winning a Stanley Cup :lol:

I hope Benning believes in his trees too!  We had a real good Ent 

Solid signing of Danault for that price, could probably be as serviceable as Sven is for us.

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Its not that the Gagner signing was a bad contract. Its just no one wants to watch Gagner play on a bottom 5 team in the league when he is taking a spot from a younger player... Like Goldobin. Plus he is soft and bad defensively.

Danault is very underrated.  Better suited as a 2nd-3rd line centre, but played well when he centred Pacioretty and Radulov some seasons ago.

Was hoping we would pick him up in a swap but he is probably Montreal's second best centre behind Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

8 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Its not that the Gagner signing was a bad contract. Its just no one wants to watch Gagner play on a bottom 5 team in the league when he is taking a spot from a younger player... Like Goldobin. Plus he is soft and bad defensively.

If Goldobin outplays Gagner, then the former will get the spot.

Archived