The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Quantity for quality

As we have a log jam of players I would like to see if fans think we could unload some of these players in a quantity for quality kind of move.

Players who could be moved:

Sutter

Gagner

MDZ

Gudbranson

Hutton?

Do you think we could move some combination of these players to upgrade our top 6?

Possibly retaining sallary on some of them.

27 minutes ago, babalu said:

As we have a log jam of players I would like to see if fans think we could unload some of these players in a quantity for quality kind of move.

Players who could be moved:

Sutter

Gagner

MDZ

Gudbranson

Hutton?

Do you think we could move some combination of these players to upgrade our top 6?

Possibly retaining sallary on some of them.

I have targeted those players in the past also

But I think that in most cases, you will not get an upgrade

because I think GM's go by the adage of " a bird in the hand, is worth 2 in the bush"

Basically, why would they take 2 lesser for 1 better player?

Best is to take picks, unless you need a B prospect to fill in a need

They are not giving up potential....unless it's proven to be lesser in their opinion

I guess you can get lucky, but in this day and age...it doesn't happen often

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have targeted those players in the past also

But I think that in most cases, you will not get an upgrade

because I think GM's go by the adage of " a bird in the hand, is worth 2 in the bush"

Basically, why would they take 2 lesser for 1 better player?

Best is to take picks, unless you need a B prospect to fill in a need

They are not giving up potential....unless it's proven to be lesser in their opinion

I guess you can get lucky, but in this day and age...it doesn't happen often

I tend to agree with the caveat; you may be able to package quantity for quality, but it'll be on the wrong side of 30 and overpaid.

But yeah, otherwise we're probably getting lotto tickets, which there is nothing wrong with when the players listed are clearly redundant from prospects developing. (I'm definitely not putting Gudbranson or Sutter in that pile yet)

Yes, not too many Alek Stojanov for Markus Naslund trades out there, waiting for us.

I think generally, the NHL GM's do a much better job of evaluating their players today

But that is not to say there are not the odd headcase that will go cheap, if you want to take the risk....

I don't like that idea, though

usually

a quantity for quality trade can work in very limited circumstances

if a team is quite weak and has numerous needs all over their roster

they may be willing to give up 1 quality players

to shore up a number of position needs

that used to be what expansion teams were good candidates for

but our last one went immediately to the finals

so i guess that sort of team does not exist currently

darn

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yes, not too many Alek Stojanov for Markus Naslund trades out there, waiting for us.

I think generally, the NHL GM's do a much better job of evaluating their players today

But that is not to say there are not the odd headcase that will go cheap, if you want to take the risk....

I don't like that idea, though

Just find out if Chia wants to make a trade for any of those guys. He’s your best bet. Something around Tanev for Puljujarvi.

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

usually

a quantity for quality trade can work in very limited circumstances

if a team is quite weak and has numerous needs all over their roster

they may be willing to give up 1 quality players

to shore up a number of position needs

that used to be what expansion teams were good candidates for

but our last one went immediately to the finals

so i guess that sort of team does not exist currently

darn

There is always Montreal

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Bubkiss!

Haha! Bubkiss.. Haven't heard that in ages. Is that you Grammy?

I'm of the opinion you can't just trade quantity for quality unless we're talking about something other than sports teams.

I suppose you can pry quality with a quantity of draft picks, but we're not in a position to be doing that.

I like Guddy and Sutter, so you can stop with that. Also we're selling low on Hutty.

Gagner and MDZ are good for picks or prospects at TDL. Granny, Baer, Stech and Pouliot should be interesting pieces to a bunch of teams, but we're not in a position to move a Dman unless a good one is coming back.

So Stech and Granny for an upgrade?

Baer and MDZ?

Any quality coming our way has to hurt a bit. Gotta give to get.

Gagner and MDZ get you bubkiss.

Our core top six forwards has yet to be fully assembled but its in the works and soon to be filled out ( fill in your names here ).

The names you mentioned to be moved only Sutter would have any valued return, but we need him through the Sedin transition...

51 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Haha! Bubkiss.. Haven't heard that in ages. Is that you Grammy?

I'm of the opinion you can't just trade quantity for quality unless we're talking about something other than sports teams.

I suppose you can pry quality with a quantity of draft picks, but we're not in a position to be doing that.

I like Guddy and Sutter, so you can stop with that. Also we're selling low on Hutty.

Gagner and MDZ are good for picks or prospects at TDL. Granny, Baer, Stech and Pouliot should be interesting pieces to a bunch of teams, but we're not in a position to move a Dman unless a good one is coming back.

So Stech and Granny for an upgrade?

Baer and MDZ?

Any quality coming our way has to hurt a bit. Gotta give to get.

Gagner and MDZ get you bubkiss.

I like Sutter and there were times last year I liked Guddy. However, with the addition of beagle I feel some they should try to move some of these guys and try to acquire a bit more of a skilled offensive player who can play in the top six.

Also, if Green isn't going to give Hutton a shot at redemption we may as well trade him.

Apparently Chicago has some interest in Gagner and previously has had interest in MDZ.

I do think we tend to undervalue some of these players (not saying their value is huge either) but I do think there are other teams that could have interest.

Quantity for quality only works when you trade with teams that are top heavy, but extremely bottom light.  That's why you saw ROR get traded for a couple of 3rd liners, a rookie, and a first and second round pick.  Had the lockerroom not needed to be cleansed of it's losing atmosphere so badly, that trade may have never even happened.

It was a perfect sh*tstorm of suckage and losers that allowed that trade to happen.

22 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Quantity for quality only works when you trade with teams that are top heavy, but extremely bottom light.  That's why you saw ROR get traded for a couple of 3rd liners, a rookie, and a first and second round pick.  Had the lockerroom not needed to be cleansed of it's losing atmosphere so badly, that trade may have never even happened.

It was a perfect sh*tstorm of suckage and losers that allowed that trade to happen.

I wonder if Carolina might be a good partner as they are looking for roster players rather than picks and prospects.

2 hours ago, babalu said:

Then why have there been reports of interest in MDZ, Sutter, and Gagner?

Because the writers need something to report.  

You can assume the majority of the trade reports you read are nothing more than something to dupe team's fans into clicking on.

That's why there literally 100's of trade reports, but yet only a handful of actual trades.

Archived