The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Elias Lindholm

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

True, many of us hate Calgary.  I agree with most you say, except the Ferland stuff.  He might not sign in Carolina ... okay.  However, he score 20, and is a friggin’ beast on the forecheck.  He’s much closer to Lucic in his prime than to Klatt.  I think anyway.

that's a much worse comparable actually.

Klatt was a very good forechecker - a guy who scored 24 goals (once) and typically in the 15 to 20 range, which is what you can probably expect from Ferland.

Virtually the same size - virutally identical roles - forecheck, hit, create space, go to the hard areas.

Klatt was a good winger on the Sedin line, but not the level of talent you'd hope to supply those guys with.

Likewise, Ferland is a good player, good forechecker, decent skill level in a tough, mobile guy that can play, and plays in the hard areas - who scored 21 goals on the Flames top line with Monahan and Gaudreau.

Like Klatt - someone you're looking to upgrade on - something Calgary achieved in Lindholm - significantly.

And just as importantly, someone Calgary - and now Carolina - had no club control of beyond the one year of remaining term.

In other words - Ferland could be a Canuck next July 1st lol.

Both Klatt and Ferland are highly likeable players, but absolutely no way I pay a former 5th overall averaging 40+pts through his first 4 seasons after stepping straight out of the draft and into the NHL (on a not particularly good hockey team.) 

If people are expecting more production out of Ferland, they might need to ask how much more productive his linemates will be than the two guys that just scored 84 and 64 pts....

Archived