The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Philip Holm signs with Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod (KHL)

8 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Why in God's name would you name a sports franchise Torpedo? That just screams "we suck!". 

Why would people refer to sucking as tanking? Tanks are meant to be friggin awesome. And won the Germans the bloody blitzkrieg 

22 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Why in God's name would you name a sports franchise Torpedo? That just screams "we suck!". 

How is Torpedo any different from names like Avalanche, Lightning, and Hurricanes?

Even names like Oilers, Flyers, Ducks, Penguins, etc. If you were first learning the names of the teams in the NHL, some of our names are far less fearsome sounding than Torpedo. lol

Just now, The Lock said:

How is Torpedo any different from names like Avalanche and Hurricanes?

Even names like Oilers, Flyers, Ducks, etc. If you were first learning the names of the teams in the NHL, some of our names are far more less fearsome sounding than Torpedo. lol

Those are destructive forces of nature versus slang for sabotage.

Yes, it's a different culture in Russia but still. 

13 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Why would people refer to sucking as tanking? Tanks are meant to be friggin awesome. And won the Germans the bloody blitzkrieg 

Different kind of tank. 

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Those are destructive forces of nature versus slang for sabotage.

Yes, it's a different culture in Russia but still. 

I actually think Torpedo's an awesome name, better than a lot of the names in our league which is my point.

12 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

It has nothing to do with the military vehicle tank... in the early 1900's swimming pools were referred to as tanks. In boxing when a fighter lost on purpose it was referred to as "taking a dive" or "taking a dive into the tank." I guess the first part was dropped over time and it's just "tank" now. 

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

but wait to hear the outcry

and complaints

the jb bashing

and everything ultra negative

should leipsic not make the canuck team out of training camp this year

(he is clearly one of the players on the bubble to make the team this year)

I don't think Leipsic is a bubble guy due to his performance last year and his rapport with Green.  He looked really good with Boeser and I'd want to see more before sending him down.  I'd be pretty surprised to see him cut. 

Archived