The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The ‘Mandela Effect’ and how your mind is playing tricks on you

RWMc1

15 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

People are dumb and the internet has brought them together to talk about it. That's the Mandela effect.

No doubt, I thought Laurel wore a blue dress.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Depending on which physicist you talk to and which article you read, theoretically it isn't impossible. 

Here's a recent article saying it is possible:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/11/14/how-traveling-back-in-time-could-really-physically-be-possible/#152b8ff12db5

Here's another slightly older one saying it isn't because atomic nucleii are pear shaped:  https://mic.com/articles/147150/physicists-have-new-proof-that-backward-time-travel-is-impossible#.ZQjO0OPUb

Good article ... thanks!

Had a brother (passed away in 2013) who taught some fancy physics stuff at MIT.  I enjoyed listening to him discuss Quantum mechanics (I think that’s what it was?).  I really didn’t understand much of what he said though.  It was funny the way he would draw diagrams on graph paper in hopes that a visual could help me “get it”.  He loved this stuff, and talking about it.  He did explain mathematically why going back in time wasn’t possible, but that was with the understanding of pre Y2K.  

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good article ... thanks!

Had a brother (passed away in 2013) who taught some fancy physics stuff at MIT.  I enjoyed listening to him discuss Quantum mechanics (I think that’s what it was?).  I really didn’t understand much of what he said though.  It was funny the way he would draw diagrams on graph paper in hopes that a visual could help me “get it”.  He loved this stuff, and talking about it.  He did explain mathematically why going back in time wasn’t possible, but that was with the understanding of pre Y2K.  

It just depends on which scientist you talk to.  The problem is, through time dilation experiments with atomic clocks, you can prove that time isn't a constant, but proving that time travel is possible will take much more than just simply speed.

My biggest problem with the idea of time travel, even fake time travel in movies, is that since the solar system along with the entire galaxy is in constant motion, the earth is never in the same place twice.  If you were able to travel in time from a fixed point, you most certainly would not end up back on the planet.  You'd either show up somewhere in space or smack dab in the middle of another planet, moon, star, etc.  So if time travel were to ever exist, you'd have to be in a ship capable of traveling through space to begin with that is capable of keeping you alive long enough to catch up to wherever Earth is in that time period.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It just depends on which scientist you talk to.  The problem is, through time dilation experiments with atomic clocks, you can prove that time isn't a constant, but proving that time travel is possible will take much more than just simply speed.

My biggest problem with the idea of time travel, even fake time travel in movies, is that since the solar system along with the entire galaxy is in constant motion, the earth is never in the same place twice.  If you were able to travel in time from a fixed point, you most certainly would not end up back on the planet.  You'd either show up somewhere in space or smack dab in the middle of another planet, moon, star, etc.  So if time travel were to ever exist, you'd have to be in a ship capable of traveling through space to begin with that is capable of keeping you alive long enough to catch up to wherever Earth is in that time period.

6817_600.gif

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

6817_600.gif

Time travel interested me a lot when I was younger.  Then I got older and smarter and realized that it is all but impossible on a practical scale. 

Even with time dilation, it doesn't seriously kick in until around 90% the speed of light.  You run into problems with energy creation for propulsion well before that point.

2258.jpg  Like with Einstein's theory, in this table, c = speed of light in a vacuum (space).

16 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Time travel interested me a lot when I was younger.  Then I got older and smarter and realized that it is all but impossible on a practical scale. 

Even with time dilation, it doesn't seriously kick in until around 90% the speed of light.  You run into problems with energy creation for propulsion well before that point.

2258.jpg  Like with Einstein's theory, in this table, c = speed of light in a vacuum (space).

I trust that you will not rip a hole in the space-time continuum and doom us all to a life of fleshless existence.

32 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

So what you're really saying is that you are a time traveller and just got back from altering the draft lottery so that the Sabres ended up with Rasmusberry Dahlin?  Great scott indeed.

Image result for marty mcfly heavy

Just now, Tre Mac said:

So what you're really saying is that you are a time traveller and just got back from altering the draft lottery so that the Sabres ended up with Rasmusberry Dahlin?  Great scott indeed.

You found me out.  I must have you eliminated now...

Noticia-131939-terminator.jpg?itok=fpPRq

Of course time travel is bs.. its science fiction created by Hollywood.. 

It goes against the fundamental laws of physics... 

The only form of time travel we have is memories like Videos, photos, dreams, human memory.. where one can look back and reflect on previous moments in time.

4 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Of course time travel is bs.. its science fiction created by Hollywood.. 

It goes against the fundamental laws of physics... 

The only form of time travel we have is memories like Videos, photos, dreams, human memory.. where one can look back and reflect on previous moments in time.

Time travel was originally posited by a WW1 era German scientist.  Not Hollywood.

8 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

well Hollywood blew it out of proportion.. 

For all intents and purposes time travel for humans is impossible and will likely always be.  As for time dilation, the fastest mode of transportation that we can do today is solar sails.  That's roughly 10% the speed of light which translates to a dilation of only 1.5%.

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Time travel was originally posited by a WW1 era German scientist.  Not Hollywood.

That's not true.  

Orson* Wells wrote about it in his 1894 book, The Time Machine. Time travel has also appeared in several texts prior to that, one being The Mahabharata from the 9th century, though prior to Einstein coming out with his relativity theory, time travel was largely regarded as uni-directional and with no return.  

Orson* Wells %100 pre-dated the german scientist's postulations. 

*H.G. 

7 minutes ago, Green Building said:

That's not true.  

Orson Wells wrote about it in his 1894 book, The Time Machine. Time travel has also appeared in several texts prior to that, one being The Mahabharata from the 9th century, though prior to Einstein coming out with his relativity theory, time travel was largely regarded as uni-directional and with no return.  

Orson Wells %100 pre-dated the german scientist's postulations.

you mean h.g. wells   orson wells wasn't born until 1915

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

That's not true.  

Orson* Wells wrote about it in his 1894 book, The Time Machine. Time travel has also appeared in several texts prior to that, one being The Mahabharata from the 9th century, though prior to Einstein coming out with his relativity theory, time travel was largely regarded as uni-directional and with no return.  

Orson* Wells %100 pre-dated the german scientist's postulations. 

*H.G. 

With works of fiction you can probably go back thousands of years.  There were probably Ancient Greeks waxing poetic about changing history.

It was a German Scientist in the 20's that attempted to show scientific proof that time travel was possible purely through the use of math.  By then Einstein had already published his general theory of relativity.

Archived