The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2019 draft the time is now

The Sedins are gone ,if not now when does the rebuild get the green light.I saw the not wanting to tear it down in the Sedins wind down party but the other Vets can’t hold that power.Push hard to trade Tanev,Edler,,Sutter and any other non essential pieces that can bring back picks.Grab as many top 60 picks as they can for the draft in Vancouver and fill in the gaps they have left with a strong prospect.Great skating defensive players and physical players that can play can be had second round when other teams may take a chance on a less safe pick.They would have more chips to go after Hughes and generate a buzz for the draft in Vancouver.Finally,I don’t think they are that far away and 5-6  good prospects could yield a deep team in a few years that can beat strong teams.We will have lots of cap space to add some vets every year as they go forward so that won’t be an issue and one thing that has been a consistent success over the last four years is Benning hitting on some solid picks.

Dude, the rebuild got the green light. Look no further than this years UFA's.

Other than that

5 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

8oM0S.jpg&size=400x1000

Yes. I'm stroking out too.

Say a simple sentence- is my face drooping? - No

Look in the mirror and slap yourself as hard as you can. 

Did it hurt? - Yes

Good

Personally,

I would like to see the Canucks get there first ever 1st OA PICK at the B.S. LOTTO DRAFT.Never ever, in almost fifty years have we had that pick and I for one think we are due for some luck.

That is what this Lotto Draft is,JUST SHEER LUCK.

Teams that are higher in the standings getting better picks than us,

year after year when we could use some help we go the wrong way in the picking on players at this B.S. LOTTO DRAFT.

i can smell a rigged game when i smell one and this people is beginning to stink .

ALL WE ASK FOR IS A LITTLE FAIRNESS THROUGHOUT THE LEAGUE, NOT JUST FOR THE STATES TEAMS.

B.C. AND THE CANUCKS DESERVE A STANLEY CUP.

They already are in a rebuild. They've already been shopping around the older vet names like Tanev and Edler, at least from what the rumors have said. Guys like Sutter have been inquired about but he fits a good leadership role on this team and likes being here. Tanev and Edler are great to have around as Stanley Cup finalists for the young guys to be mentored by. You don't want to just get rid of all the vets on the team and try to throw a team full of young guys on the ice.

Having somebody like Edler on the team is going to benefit Elias Pettersson as well, considering he came over from Sweden and went through what Pettersson is about to go through. I wouldn't be surprised if he rooms with Edler during the season. The Sedins sticking around for camp and whatever else after that will help as well.

It's good to keep competition on the team. You want guys competing for spots and earning them, not just gifting the youth spots in the lineup. That doesn't work out a lot of the time.

I'm sure come deadline or earlier, Benning will be looking for picks. No need to trade anybody off right now. Teams will come knocking come the trade deadline and be more desperate for a defenseman like Edler or Tanev, or a two-way guy like Sutter for a playoff run, if a trade like that does indeed happen.

29 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

They already are in a rebuild. They've already been shopping around the older vet names like Tanev and Edler, at least from what the rumors have said. Guys like Sutter have been inquired about but he fits a good leadership role on this team and likes being here. Tanev and Edler are great to have around as Stanley Cup finalists for the young guys to be mentored by. You don't want to just get rid of all the vets on the team and try to throw a team full of young guys on the ice.

We just signed 3 more vets to fill in for Hank and Daniel, we could have also went after DeHaan to replace Edler... Beagle would have been a fair replacement for Sutter.

Tanev I say keep a year to see how our RHD is filling in...…..but the point is we should be moving vets

Having somebody like Edler on the team is going to benefit Elias Pettersson as well, considering he came over from Sweden and went through what Pettersson is about to go through. I wouldn't be surprised if he rooms with Edler during the season. The Sedins sticking around for camp and whatever else after that will help as well.

This kid is old enough, not to have his hand held by a fellow Swede...the Sedin's in the back ground, and Eriksson on the team should be enough, if the other vets can't do it.

I find it hard to believe Edler is the difference on the development of Pettersson...…...it is a non issue to me.

It's good to keep competition on the team. You want guys competing for spots and earning them, not just gifting the youth spots in the lineup. That doesn't work out a lot of the time.

Yes, totally agree Competition is paramount, and from what I see there will be plenty to go around. Again I don't advocate a whole sale selling of our veterans, but moving a couple will not kill us...…..but I don't think the summer is necessarily the time to do it

I'm sure come deadline or earlier, Benning will be looking for picks. No need to trade anybody off right now. Teams will come knocking come the trade deadline and be more desperate for a defenseman like Edler or Tanev, or a two-way guy like Sutter for a playoff run, if a trade like that does indeed happen.

I would say late December, early January at the latest...…..get ahead of the game........tell the players........inform the other teams we are open for business, and don't wait until all the other teams have made their TDL deals without us

I am not keen on prospects at this point, as we have enough 3/4 type players.....we should be shooting high and aiming for 1st's and 2nd's above the top 50, and condensing our assets to get elite picks, which for the most part is the only way to get 1/2 line players...…..very rarely any other way.

2 hours ago, westcoast said:

The Sedins are gone ,if not now when does the rebuild get the green light.I saw the not wanting to tear it down in the Sedins wind down party but the other Vets can’t hold that power.Push hard to trade Tanev,Edler,,Sutter and any other non essential pieces that can bring back picks.Grab as many top 60 picks as they can for the draft in Vancouver and fill in the gaps they have left with a strong prospect.Great skating defensive players and physical players that can play can be had second round when other teams may take a chance on a less safe pick.They would have more chips to go after Hughes and generate a buzz for the draft in Vancouver.Finally,I don’t think they are that far away and 5-6  good prospects could yield a deep team in a few years that can beat strong teams.We will have lots of cap space to add some vets every year as they go forward so that won’t be an issue and one thing that has been a consistent success over the last four years is Benning hitting on some solid picks.

Uhh what? We've been rebuilding for some years now.

5 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Not just the 2 remaining from 2014, but the only Canucks left from the 2015 playoffs against the Flames are Horvat, Edler, Tanev, and Baertschi, who had just joined and played in only 2 games.

4 players remaining from just 3 years ago, 2 of which were in their first NHL season.

8 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

I wouldn’t call trading Kesler for a bunch of depth players,signing all the free agents during generational drafts and picking behind your closest rivals most years.canucks pick a first rounder so does most other teams not very easy to close the gap on them.All I’m saying is they have ran out of reasons not to make some deals for picks and boost this thing enough with some draft luck they can win one day with.

18 minutes ago, westcoast said:

I wouldn’t call trading Kesler for a bunch of depth players,signing all the free agents during generational drafts and picking behind your closest rivals most years.canucks pick a first rounder so does most other teams not very easy to close the gap on them.All I’m saying is they have ran out of reasons not to make some deals for picks and boost this thing enough with some draft luck they can win one day with.

I think management has been over this many a time. A blow it all up rebuild doesn't work and a team has to have, at least, an appearance of being competitive. The young players can't develop properly in a losing environment. We have been drafting to the best of our ability for the last couple of years but if you don't like our positioning in them, blame the lottery.

3 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

Personally,

I would like to see the Canucks get there first ever 1st OA PICK at the B.S. LOTTO DRAFT.Never ever, in almost fifty years have we had that pick and I for one think we are due for some luck.

That is what this Lotto Draft is,JUST SHEER LUCK.

Teams that are higher in the standings getting better picks than us,

year after year when we could use some help we go the wrong way in the picking on players at this B.S. LOTTO DRAFT.

i can smell a rigged game when i smell one and this people is beginning to stink .

ALL WE ASK FOR IS A LITTLE FAIRNESS THROUGHOUT THE LEAGUE, NOT JUST FOR THE STATES TEAMS.

B.C. AND THE CANUCKS DESERVE A STANLEY CUP.

Considering we're hosting the draft next year, could just be the perfect pairing.

6 hours ago, westcoast said:

Is this coming season already such a right off that we are already looking forward to the draft

Here we go again with the " Trade everyone, let's acquire 25 draft picks!!!"

When are people going to realize we have a 50 contract limit?  Even if you draft an infinite number of prospect, you can't get them all under contracts.   We also have limited human resources (trainers, coach, staff) to follow each prospects' development.  If you have too many, they'll only be lost in the system and we'll end up losing some good prospect due to lack of development resources put into each one.

Plus I think the Islanders, Carolina, Oilers, Arizona proved well enough that you can have as many draft picks as you want, it doesn't guarantee success.   You need a culture to develop these guys, talent alone won't cut it.  

I think we are on the upswing of this rebuild, and with JB's drafting abilities, he doesn't need 25 drafts picks to keep adding to this core, 7-8 is more than enough.   It's a slow process, we have to stick to it and not rush anything.

31 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Here we go again with the " Trade everyone, let's acquire 25 draft picks!!!"

When are people going to realize we have a 50 contract limit?  Even if you draft an infinite number of prospect, you can't get them all under contracts.   We also have limited human resources (trainers, coach, staff) to follow each prospects' development.  If you have too many, they'll only be lost in the system and we'll end up losing some good prospect due to lack of development resources put into each one.

Plus I think the Islanders, Carolina, Oilers, Arizona proved well enough that you can have as many draft picks as you want, it doesn't guarantee success.   You need a culture to develop these guys, talent alone won't cut it.  

I think we are on the upswing of this rebuild, and with JB's drafting abilities, he doesn't need 25 drafts picks to keep adding to this core, 7-8 is more than enough.   It's a slow process, we have to stick to it and not rush anything.

Too many posters seem to not understand the 50 player roster issue. Not surprising that these same posters are totally committed to shiny new toys everywhere.

Today, we are at a point where depth has been taken care of in many areas. We will always need a tweak or two, but our prime need now is quality and not quantity. We have some superb prospects in the wings, but we need more. You always need more quality. We are not a team with a set top 6/ top 4, even if all our prime prospects knock it out of the park at training camp.

10 hours ago, westcoast said:

Have you just awoken from a coma and forgotten what the team has done to fill the cupboards over the past three-four years?    Was it a shock to find out it was 2018.

Oh ya, get this....and this is serious, Trudeau (ya, that one) is Canadian PM and Trump (YES, that one) is the President of the US.    I KNOW!!!! F'd up for sure but that is what happens when you pass out for four years.   :)

21 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Too many posters seem to not understand the 50 player roster issue. Not surprising that these same posters are totally committed to shiny new toys everywhere.

Today, we are at a point where depth has been taken care of in many areas. We will always need a tweak or two, but our prime need now is quality and not quantity. We have some superb prospects in the wings, but we need more. You always need more quality. We are not a team with a set top 6/ top 4, even if all our prime prospects knock it out of the park at training camp.

More importantly, every team in the NHL has the same contractual limits so movement of contract/players is not some sort of magical push of a button like on PlayStation.

"The time is now"...that's funny.

I'm going to guess that the retirement of the Sedins and the signing of Gagner, Del Zotto, Vanek, Beagle, Roussel and Schaller has completely confused and confounded the OP.  I'm thinking the OP wants to see the Canucks emulate the Oilers 10+ year rebuild program.

Boeser, Petterssson, Juolevi, Hughes, Gaudette, Lind in the lineup either now or in the very near future doesn't qualify as a rebuild. 

Archived