The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning, Goldobin, and a logjam of forwards?

Mike Vanderhoek

Curious to get the thoughts of others here, I hear daily on 650 ( I enjoy the Canucks coverage overall ) about a few things that grind my gears.

Jim Benning: it seems the consensus in the media? Is Benning will be on thin ice come the end of his current contract. We are hearing Benning needs Hughes, Boeser, and his other notable picks to reach max potential on sky high ceilings in order to save his job ?!?

I don't get it, am I one of the very few who sees with ownership in place the Benning/Linden regime here long term?

Benning has greatly improved the teams overall depth and quality of youth I just don't see how he'd be on a short leash.

Nikolay Goldobin: have heard more than a few times and again just now how little Goldobin is viewed even now how he is the Canucks reclamation project who maybe gets flipped for a 4th ir 5th round pick ?!? sorry what?

I mean the guy was a 1st round pick, has shown slick skill, speed, and finish. Has spent time in the organization learning the defensive side of the game as well. 22 years old and a scorer's touch that will need scoring. How is he a reclamation project?

If anything in a contract year, opportunity to play an offensive role, this reclamation project could pot 20 goals and make some defense look silly doing it. We saw flashes of this last year. Again, scratch my head when I hear project.

Logjam at forward? Defense?: one if the biggest ironies here is fans and media alike complain for years the prospect cupboard is bare, not enough players pushing for NHL jobs and the complaint once injuries hit that the Chaput's of the World get minutes.

Now the team has greater depth at all positions. Prospects knocking on the door and regulars and depth players under contract.

Some people keep sounding off about the team needing to trade out players because there is too many now especially at forward. Or on defense where will Hughes ir OJ fit. You dont go into camp with only enough bodies to fill roles and you certainly add veterans where you can in the event prospects cant make the jump.

Worst case is come the end of camp what? Biega, Gaunce go on Waivers ? nobody claims them because 30 other teams are trying to sneak their guys down too....

Like to hear others thoughts as maybe I'm out to lunch but seems there is a voice here that Benning is on thin ice, Goldobin is a project, and the team has too many potential NHL pieces on their roster.

Gaunce and Gagner go on waivers, Archibald probably as well. Nilsson waived/claimed or traded. Think our lineups end up looking like this:

Loui Eriksson - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

Sven Baertschi - Elias Pettersson - Nikolay Goldobin

Brendan Leipsic - Brandon Sutter - Jake Virtanen

Granlund - Beagle - Antoine Roussel

Tim Schaller

Quinn Hughes/Derrick Pouliot - Chris Tanev

Alex Edler - Troy Stecher

Derrick Pouliot/Erik Gudbranson - Michael Del Zotto

Erik Gudbranson, Ben Hutton

Markstrom

Demko

And AHL:

Reid Boucher - Brendan Gaunce - Lukas Jasek

Jonathan Dahlén - Tanner Kero - Adam Gaudette

Carter Bancks - Wacey Hamilton - Tyler Motte

Tanner MacMaster - Joe Labate - Zack MacEwen

Michael Carcone, Alexis D'Aoust

Ashton Sautner - Guillaume Brisebois

Jalen Chatfield - Olli Juolevi

Alex Biega - Evan McEneny

Dylan Blujus

Richard Bachman

Ivan Kulbakov

I think you are reading too much into both the media and the typically negative people here on CDC.

Benning is not at all on thin ice.  They would not have extended his contract if he was.  If by the end of the contract he has not built a successful team then sure, but right now they are drinking his kool-aid.

As for Goldobin - I believe he will get a chance to show himself this season.  But if he doesn't produce, HE is on thin ice I think and it makes sense we would get rid of him for whatever we can get.  Which unfortunately won't be much.  Personally, I think he will be a better player this season but I really have little conviction behind that belief.

Finally, yes, we do have a logjam in virtually all positions right now.  It will take some fancy avoidance of the waiver and roster adjustments to try to keep everyone on board but it would be entirely possible (likely?) that we lose a guy like Gaunce as there is just no room for him now.  That's a price I, as a fan, am willing to pay to have an overall more talented roster.

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think you are reading too much into both the media and the typically negative people here on CDC.

Benning is not at all on thin ice.  They would not have extended his contract if he was.  If by the end of the contract he has not built a successful team then sure, but right now they are drinking his kool-aid.

As for Goldobin - I believe he will get a chance to show himself this season.  But if he doesn't produce, HE is on thin ice I think and it makes sense we would get rid of him for whatever we can get.  Which unfortunately won't be much.  Personally, I think he will be a better player this season but I really have little conviction behind that belief.

Finally, yes, we do have a logjam in virtually all positions right now.  It will take some fancy avoidance of the waiver and roster to try to keep everyone on board but it would be entirely possible (likely?) that we lose a guy like Gaunce as there is just no room for him now.  That's a price I, as a fan, am willing to pay to have an overall more talented roster.

I think guys like Goldy would clear waivers.  If he was picked, I think he’d be back on waivers rather quickly.  Maybe if he does clear with us, he would have more trade value?  

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Finally, yes, we do have a logjam in virtually all positions right now.  It will take some fancy avoidance of the waiver and roster to try to keep everyone on board but it would be entirely possible (likely?) that we lose a guy like Gaunce as there is just no room for him now.  That's a price I, as a fan, am willing to pay to have an overall more talented roster.

Reporting his contract extension was only two years and commenting on the short term as not a overwhelming endorsement is not being negative, if they want to change GM's then they only pay for one year, so it definitely can be seen as thin ice. Besides when he gets fired, the vast majority all get fired so this is not negative, it will give fans someone to blame for the next 6 years.

Goldoblin was given up on by two different AHL coaches and the San Jose organization, he was almost going back to Russia, so yes, he is a reclamation project and still might bolt if he doesn't make the team.

This is a 29th placed team (3 years) there aren't too many teams lining up to grab a forward that can't make the squad, but Ottawa and Montreal might be looking for AHL depth.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think guys like Goldy would clear waivers. 

You think?  I think he has shown enough talent that he would get picked up by a bottom feeding team.  

I like Goldobin and would like to see him stick around at least until TDL to see if he can put his game together.  Somehow (and don't ask me why) I almost feel like he is going to end up in a similar situation as Grabner.  We traded Grabner and Florida waived him shortly thereafter with the intent to have him play in the AHL but he was picked up instead.  Once he moved on he actually became a pretty productive player.  I believe Goldobin has enough talent to be in this league... he just needs to round the corner in his development.  IMO.

Just now, kloubek said:

You think?  I think he has shown enough talent that he would get picked up by a bottom feeding team.  

I like Goldobin and would like to see him stick around at least until TDL to see if he can put his game together.  Somehow (and don't ask me why) I almost feel like he is going to end up in a similar situation as Grabner.  We traded Grabner and Florida waived him shortly thereafter with the intent to have him play in the AHL but he was picked up instead.  Once he moved on he actually became a pretty productive player.  I believe Goldobin has enough talent to be in this league... he just needs to round the corner in his development.  IMO.

I really don’t know if Goldy is a difference maker?  He’s seems like a really good kid though.  

12 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Reporting his contract extension was only two years and commenting on the short term as not a overwhelming endorsement is not being negative, if they want to change GM's then they only pay for one year, so it definitely can be seen as thin ice. Besides when he gets fired, the vast majority all get fired so this is not negative, it will give fans someone to blame for the next 6 years.

Goldoblin was given up on by two different AHL coaches and the San Jose organization, he was almost going back to Russia, so yes, he is a reclamation project and still might bolt if he doesn't make the team.

This is a 29th placed team (3 years) there aren't too many teams lining up to grab a forward that can't make the squad, but Ottawa and Montreal might be looking for AHL depth.

His contract was 2 years because if his rebuild DIDN'T work out, it would be time to move on, and it would take that much time to see the results.  So yes, he is expected to bring his plan successfully to fruition, but I think the same could be said of any GM. I believe most see that the plan is heading in the right direction and that we should be a much, much better team relatively shortly.  This season might be a big challenge but the following season I actually expect to see us as a playoff team.  I mean - come on.... even you have to admit he has amassed a LOT of talent, and I believe this last draft addressed our biggest weakness which was scoring from the blueline.

As for AHL depth, *we* want that depth.  If we did waive him and he got picked up, I believe the other team has to play him on their roster do they not?

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really don’t know if Goldy is a difference maker?  He’s seems like a really good kid though.  

I don't know either but I feel he still has another level in his game and the skills to actually be in this league.  He obviously isn't a bottom line player so it's a fair step up to be where he needs to be to play in a top six role consistently.  I believe in him though.

With that said, I believed in Shinkaruk as well and look how that turned out. :)

25 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Gaunce and Gagner go on waivers, Archibald probably as well. Nilsson waived/claimed or traded. Think our lineups end up looking like this:

Loui Eriksson - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

Sven Baertschi - Elias Pettersson - Nikolay Goldobin

Brendan Leipsic - Brandon Sutter - Jake Virtanen

Granlund - Beagle - Antoine Roussel

Tim Schaller

Quinn Hughes/Derrick Pouliot - Chris Tanev

Alex Edler - Troy Stecher

Derrick Pouliot/Erik Gudbranson - Michael Del Zotto

Erik Gudbranson, Ben Hutton

Markstrom

Demko

And AHL:

Reid Boucher - Brendan Gaunce - Lukas Jasek

Jonathan Dahlén - Tanner Kero - Adam Gaudette

Carter Bancks - Wacey Hamilton - Tyler Motte

Tanner MacMaster - Joe Labate - Zack MacEwen

Michael Carcone, Alexis D'Aoust

Ashton Sautner - Guillaume Brisebois

Jalen Chatfield - Olli Juolevi

Alex Biega - Evan McEneny

Dylan Blujus

Richard Bachman

Ivan Kulbakov

That second line would get tossed like salad

I like what Benning has done with rebuilding the Youth but also think he should be on thin ice.

Spending to the cap, trying to get a last hurrah for the Sedin's and still having one of the worst offensive, defensive and goaltending teams in the league should put you on notice.

I think he is great evaluator of young talent and good in development.  Pro scouting and evaluation very, very questionable.  Budget management and business acumen fairly questionable as well.

He took what may have been the worst GM job in hockey at the time and so there was going to be growing pains but to be this many years into his regime and looking like we are going to drop in the standings again should have him on thin ice.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

His contract was 2 years because if his rebuild DIDN'T work out, it would be time to move on, and it would take that much time to see the results.  I believe most see that the plan is heading in the right direction and that we should be a much, much better team relatively shortly.  This season might be a big challenge but next season I actually expect to see us as a playoff team.

As for AHL depth, *we* want that depth.  If we did waive him and he got picked up, I believe the other team has to play him on their roster do they not?

2 years.

Exactly, hence the comments about being on thin ice. The team has to make a move this year or next. IMO, with the FA contracts he has signed along with current and resigned, I don't see enough of an improvement, being better than two teams tanking does not mean enough of a improvement. A playoff team? Who would be below in the standings? Or being another "playoff" team in a year when numerous teams tank for a  chance at another very good forward like they did for McDavid? 

If this team is lucky, :lol::lol::lol:, 2020 will be washed out by a labour dispute and the draft will be an average over the last "X" years giving the Nucks a really good top 4 pick of the 2020 draft class. All the vet contracts will be close to expiring and buyouts forgiven, the 2021 season will star with the Canucks being a young team and a few others will have aged out, the Nucks make the playoffs in 2021.

It's no surprise that Benning will be reassessed at the end of his contract. Not sure if he will be on "thin ice" just yet, but it's pretty standard that they will see how the progress is going to determine if they're going to renew his contract. If they were so committed, they would've signed him to a 10 year contract.

As for Goldobin, his stats would indicate he's a project. He has a lot of aspects of his game needing work. Yes he could break out or he could simply be good in the AHL and not great in the NHL much like many players have been (eg Boucher, etc).

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Grabner admitted that it took getting traded and then waived for him to wake up. He was relying on his offence and not playing a complete game. I think Green got that message through to Goldobin already. Green asked him how much time he thought he spent per game with the puck. He then told him the actual amount of time and there was a big discrepancy. He used that to convey to Goldy the need to play better without the puck. Goldobin started playing better after that.

I see Goldobin finally playing the right way and being a regular contributor on our Canucks. His recent comments seem to confirm that he gets what he needs to do to stick.

It could be far, far worse. No?  Instead of having too many NHL level players signed, here are some names that could still be around.  

Ronalds Ķēniņš

Eddie Läck

Brandon McMillan

Adam Clendening

Joe Cannata

Taylor Fedun

Linden Vey

Alex Friesen

Bobby Sanguinetti

Dustin Jeffrey

Mike Zalewski

Niklas Jensen

Kellan Lain

Pascal Pelletier

Raphael Diaz

Jack Skille

Jayson Megna

Chad Billins

Joseph Crammarosa

Borna Rendulic

Drew Shore

Emerson Etem

Matt Bartkowski

Brandon DeFazio

Benn Ferriero

Zac Dalpe

For Benning, I am please with his drafting and his basic overhaul of the roster.  However, Benning can't miss the playoff for another 3 years either.  At one point, this roster will need to show improvement and competitiveness.  Therefore, I can see him being on the hotseat, maybe not this year, but next year if another missed playoffs.  Rebuild are long and painful, and unfortunately many GMs that fills the cupboard for a team are generally not around when that core matures.

Tallon/Chicago

McPhee/Washington

Burke/Vancouver

Patrick/Pittsburgh

etc.

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

It could be far, far worse. No?  Instead of having too many NHL level players signed, here are some names that could still be around.  

Ronalds Ķēniņš

Eddie Läck

Brandon McMillan

Adam Clendening

Joe Cannata

Taylor Fedun

Linden Vey

Alex Friesen

Bobby Sanguinetti

Dustin Jeffrey

Mike Zalewski

Niklas Jensen

Kellan Lain

Pascal Pelletier

Raphael Diaz

Jack Skille

Jayson Megna

Chad Billins

Joseph Crammarosa

Borna Rendulic

Drew Shore

Emerson Etem

Matt Bartkowski

Brandon DeFazio

Benn Ferriero

Zac Dalpe

That is a depressing list of players.

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

Ronalds Ķēniņš

Eddie Läck

Brandon McMillan

Adam Clendening

Joe Cannata

Taylor Fedun

Linden Vey

Alex Friesen

Bobby Sanguinetti

Dustin Jeffrey

Mike Zalewski

Niklas Jensen

Kellan Lain

Pascal Pelletier

Raphael Diaz

Jack Skille

Jayson Megna

Chad Billins

Joseph Crammarosa

Borna Rendulic

Drew Shore

Emerson Etem

Matt Bartkowski

Brandon DeFazio

Benn Ferriero

Zac Dalpe

Lot of work.

Remember how many of those players the fans thought would be really good?  

43 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

I'd move some guys around and keep Gaudette up, but I'd pretty much agree with the players you have on opening night, that I'd like to see anyway. I think this gives us two more balanced scoring lines with Loui to mentor EP40, and those two matchup lines would be tough to play against. 

Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

Loui Eriksson - Elias Pettersson - Nikolay Goldobin

Antoine Roussel - Brandon Sutter - Jake Virtanen

Tim Schaller - Beagle - Gaudette

Granlund

Alex Edler - Erik Gudbranson 

Quinn Hughes - Chris Tanev

Michael Del Zotto Troy Stecher

Ben Hutton - Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

Archived