The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning, Goldobin, and a logjam of forwards?

Mike Vanderhoek

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That is a depressing list of players.

It is, and I remember being truly excited about none of them other than Lack or perhaps Jensen just a little bit.

And look at our young guys now:
Goldobin

Pettersson

Dahlen 

Palmu

Gadjovich

Lind

Leipsic

Boeser (already playing of course)

Hughes
Juolevi

Gaudette
Demko

And to a lesser degree:

Tryamkin* Would be in the first list but we don't know if he is coming back.

Brisebois

Woo

Lockwood

Jasek

Rathbone
Dipietro

Many of the names in that 2nd list are probably comparable to the list from GMMG's tenure, but that first list is absolutely *loaded* with potential difference-makers.  I'd say only a couple of those guys in the first list are likely to *not* be NHL players. We have a logjam now, but imagine what it will be like in one and two years....

Goldobin IS kind of a project. All the offensive skill in the world but if he can't bring the compete, the puck pursuit, the consistency etc and remains a perimeter player, he's not going to make it in the NHL. He'll be a Bouchard. Here's hoping it clicks for him this year.

IMO (barring trades):

Goldobin/Leipsic, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Granlund

Gagner, Goldobin/Leipsic

*Bolded in ink, italicized in pencil and can rotate up/down, in/out.

Etem finished the 2015/16 season with 7 pts incl. 4 goals in 8 games.  The following season he never made it out of training camp and was placed on waivers.  

Don't see Benning trading any of the excess players before training camp - there is too much uncertainty.  With Etem he also showed that he wouldn't hesitate to put a player on waivers despite signs of progress.  

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

It is, and I remember being truly excited about none of them other than maybe Lack or perhaps Jensen just a little bit.

I thought Kenins was a great feisty forward who hit like a truck, but faded quickly.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

And look at our young guys now:
Goldobin

Pettersson

Dahlen 

Palmu

Gadjovich

Lind

Leipsic

Boeser (already playing of course)

Hughes
Juolevi

Gaudette
Demko

And to a lesser degree:

Tryamkin* Would be in the first list but we don't know if he is coming back.

Brisebois

Woo

Lockwood

Jasek

Rathbone

Many of the names in that 2nd list are probably comparable to the list from GMMG's tenure, but that first list is absolutely *loaded* with potential difference-makers.  I'd say only a couple of those guys in the first list are likely to *not* be NHL players. We have a logjam now, but imagine what it will be like in one and two years....

Agreed. Those lists are miles apart. This is an exciting time to be a fan of the team, in seeing how the talent will meld and mix.

Training camp will tell. The good news is, no one is guaranteed a position. The cream gets to rise to the top. If you don't show up to play we can slot in someone who will.

In particular I would like the see Dahlen/Pettersson together in a line combo for a few games at least.

Juolevi also needs to break into the nhl soon, or else warning lights will start blinking...

1 minute ago, mll said:

Don't see Benning trading any of the excess players before training camp - there is just much uncertainty.  With Etem he also showed that he wouldn't hesitate to put a player on waivers despite signs of progress.  

Uncertainty, but lack of value as well.  The only prospects we have worth anything are the ones we fully expect to be needed on our team.  But yeah, there will be excess for sure in the coming 1-3 years and there will be lots of movement of the players - mainly forwards.  That's ok though as it will either be a package which boosts the players we have, or picks to make sure Benning keeps the ball rolling for the future.  Either way, this mass of talented players is a great thing from both an asset perspective as well as a competition perspective.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I thought Kenins was a great feisty forward who hit like a truck, but faded quickly.

Shame about him. Don't know if injuries set him back or if it was a bit of 'Biega-syndrome' where he just can't bring that intense level consistently, day in, day out (not surprising really). Shame though as he was fun to watch when he was 'on'.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd move some guys around and keep Gaudette up, but I'd pretty much agree with the players you have on opening night, that I'd like to see anyway. I think this gives us two more balanced scoring lines with Loui to mentor EP40, and those two matchup lines would be tough to play against. 

Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

Loui Eriksson - Elias Pettersson - Nikolay Goldobin

Antoine Roussel - Brandon Sutter - Jake Virtanen

Tim Schaller - Beagle - Gaudette

Granlund

Alex Edler - Erik Gudbranson 

Quinn Hughes - Chris Tanev

Michael Del Zotto Troy Stecher

Ben Hutton - Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

Wow , going to be tough to win with only 2 legit  top 6 forwards.....  Bo and Brock. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow , going to be tough to win with only 2 legit  top 6 forwards.....  Bo and Brock. 

While I agree it will be tough, I think you are undervaluing Pettersson's talent and Baertschi's scoring.  (The latter of which isn't likely to be a 1st line level but I bet he does get some 45-50 points this season).  

Pettersson: He might end up playing sheltered minutes to start but if he can adapt quick enough, there is nothing to suggest he couldn't easily be a 50 point player for us in his rookie season.  The key there will be to find linemates he gels with because we don't exactly have the talent level on the wings to guarantee the points.

5 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

Juolevi also needs to break into the nhl soon, or else warning lights will start blinking...

I think those warning lights have had their bulbs changed a few times over already, with all the hand-wringing and anxiety from the local media.

54 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Baertschi's scoring.  (The latter of which isn't likely to be a 1st line level but I bet he does get some 45-50 points this season).  

This. You'd think being a legit 2nd line player would in fact count as a 'top 6'... :rolleyes:

So that's actually three, legit top 6 players, a Pettersson who I'd wager will be under that header in short order, an open spot up for grabs and Eriksson who has in fact been a top 6 forward and *knock on wood* hopefully gets back there with some fresh line mates.

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Benning has greatly improved the teams overall depth and quality of youth I just don't see how he'd be on a short leash.

Literally anyone could have 'greatly improved the team's overall depth and quality of youth' given our recent draft picks.  We should have Nylander/Ehlers and Tkachuk right now.  Imagine how much everyone here would be fawning over those guys and our youth-movement if we'd gotten them.

Benning's been given one of the highest payrolls in the league - and yet he's still given us the worst team in the league (over the last few years).  Those poor, poor teams that don't have any money and are always giving away their best players for peanuts because they can't afford them and are struggling to even reach the cap-floor - all of them have been better than us.  All of them

Benning should be on a short leash, he's done an absolutely terrible job of assembling a hockey team.  Horrendous.  Worst in the league.  And, when you factor in our massive payroll, it's so much worse than everyone else it's not even funny.  Just because he's gotten us a handful of decent prospects doesn't make up for that fact.  As I mentioned, a trained-monkey would have been able to assemble a phenomenal crop of prospects given our draft-picks and a copy of the Hockey News' draft rankings.

2 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Literally anyone could have 'greatly improved the team's overall depth and quality of youth' given our recent draft picks.  We should have Nylander/Ehlers and Tkachuk right now.  Imagine how much everyone here would be fawning over those guys and our youth-movement if we'd gotten them.

Benning's been given one of the highest payrolls in the league - and yet he's still given us the worst team in the league (over the last few years).  Those poor, poor teams that don't have any money and are always giving away their best players for peanuts because they can't afford them and are struggling to even reach the cap-floor - all of them have been better than us.  All of them

Benning should be on a short leash, he's done an absolutely terrible job of assembling a hockey team.  Horrendous.  Worst in the league.  And, when you factor in our massive payroll, it's so much worse than everyone else it's not even funny.  Just because he's gotten us a handful of decent prospects doesn't make up for that fact.  As I mentioned, a trained-monkey would have been able to assemble a phenomenal crop of prospects given our draft-picks and a copy of the Hockey News' draft rankings.

I'd hate to be your contractor if you ever built a house. Barely got the foundation, studs and roof up and you're complaining about how drafty it is.

6 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

But, but, but it is all Gillis's fault! All those clause contracts that the Gillis player's waived, it wasn't Benning's fault the players he signed with clause contracts refused to be traded, those players earned them. It is not Linden/Benning's fault that they wouldn't rebuild the team earlier, the Sedins wouldn't quit so they had to keep from rebuilding because it won't be fair to them. By spending to the cap the team could not make trades.

He has spent and committed $81 million dollars on aged vets and received one, single, 4th round pick in return as well as being the second worst team by only 4 points, over the last three years. Is there any old FA vets that he can sign with the remaining cap space? Nash maybe for 7 mi?

He has a total of 2 of his draft picks playing on the NHL team over 4 years, the team has one, maybe two roster spots open for prospects this year.

The logjam isn’t because of picks and prospects it’s because of ufa signings of depth players something any team could have if they signed 10 bottom six/pairing ufas. Of which 7 (the three this summer mdz gagme eriksdone and Nielsen) will be in the line up regardless of how they play. 

yes benning has gotten more picks and prospects in the system being the sh.tiest team will do that. And if his top picks don’t become top players then he should be gone because it means HE missed with something no other Canucks GM has had and that a handful of to ten picks. 

He should have next season and the one after to turn it around or he should be gone and rightfully so. 

The end of the 19/20 season if the team isnt a wildcard bubble team or better he’s failed.and hopefully ownership stops waiting for him to figure it out. 

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

But, but, but it is all Gillis's fault! All those clause contracts that the Gillis player's waived, it wasn't Benning's fault the players he signed with clause contracts refused to be traded, those players earned them. It is not Linden/Benning's fault that they wouldn't rebuild the team earlier, the Sedins wouldn't quit so they had to keep from rebuilding because it won't be fair to them. By spending to the cap the team could not make trades.

He has spent and committed $81 million dollars on aged vets and received one, single, 4th round pick in return as well as being the second worst team by only 4 points, over the last three years. Is there any old FA vets that he can sign with the remaining cap space? Nash maybe for 7 mi?

He has a total of 2 of his draft picks playing on the NHL team over 4 years, the team has one, maybe two roster spots open for prospects this year.

There’s oodles of conjecture in this entire post, that’s one thing I’ll agree with. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd move some guys around and keep Gaudette up, but I'd pretty much agree with the players you have on opening night, that I'd like to see anyway. I think this gives us two more balanced scoring lines with Loui to mentor EP40, and those two matchup lines would be tough to play against. 

Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

Loui Eriksson - Elias Pettersson - Nikolay Goldobin

Antoine Roussel - Brandon Sutter - Jake Virtanen

Tim Schaller - Beagle - Gaudette

Granlund

Alex Edler - Erik Gudbranson 

Quinn Hughes - Chris Tanev

Michael Del Zotto Troy Stecher

Ben Hutton - Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

I think I might switch Loui & Roussel.  Second line will get pushed around too much.

Archived