The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning, Goldobin, and a logjam of forwards?

Mike Vanderhoek

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Depth = measure of quantity, not quality.

Yes, Canucks have tremendous depth of unproductive 3rd and 4th line forwards. 

Is that really a valuable thing for our club ....    I would prefer to have depth in top 6 forwards... or depth in top 4 Dmen......

That would be something to get excited about...

On 17/07/2018 at 6:43 PM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Curious to get the thoughts of others here, I hear daily on 650 ( I enjoy the Canucks coverage overall ) about a few things that grind my gears.

Jim Benning: it seems the consensus in the media? Is Benning will be on thin ice come the end of his current contract. We are hearing Benning needs Hughes, Boeser, and his other notable picks to reach max potential on sky high ceilings in order to save his job ?!?

I don't get it, am I one of the very few who sees with ownership in place the Benning/Linden regime here long term?

Benning has greatly improved the teams overall depth and quality of youth I just don't see how he'd be on a short leash.

Nikolay Goldobin: have heard more than a few times and again just now how little Goldobin is viewed even now how he is the Canucks reclamation project who maybe gets flipped for a 4th ir 5th round pick ?!? sorry what?

I mean the guy was a 1st round pick, has shown slick skill, speed, and finish. Has spent time in the organization learning the defensive side of the game as well. 22 years old and a scorer's touch that will need scoring. How is he a reclamation project?

If anything in a contract year, opportunity to play an offensive role, this reclamation project could pot 20 goals and make some defense look silly doing it. We saw flashes of this last year. Again, scratch my head when I hear project.

Logjam at forward? Defense?: one if the biggest ironies here is fans and media alike complain for years the prospect cupboard is bare, not enough players pushing for NHL jobs and the complaint once injuries hit that the Chaput's of the World get minutes.

Now the team has greater depth at all positions. Prospects knocking on the door and regulars and depth players under contract.

Some people keep sounding off about the team needing to trade out players because there is too many now especially at forward. Or on defense where will Hughes ir OJ fit. You dont go into camp with only enough bodies to fill roles and you certainly add veterans where you can in the event prospects cant make the jump.

Worst case is come the end of camp what? Biega, Gaunce go on Waivers ? nobody claims them because 30 other teams are trying to sneak their guys down too....

Like to hear others thoughts as maybe I'm out to lunch but seems there is a voice here that Benning is on thin ice, Goldobin is a project, and the team has too many potential NHL pieces on their roster.

They have to get something to hold their attention. Change change change - just for the sake of it. They are new to hockey, most of them.

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, Canucks have tremendous depth of unproductive 3rd and 4th line forwards. 

Is that really a valuable thing for our club ....    I would prefer to have depth in top 6 forwards... or depth in top 4 Dmen......

That would be something to get excited about...

Wouldn't every team? What a boring, unproductive and useless statement.

Gee, I'd like to be a billionaire, own the Canucks and have Zooey Deschannel on speed dial under the contact 'Booty Call'.

VGK's just went to the cup final with a bunch of 'depth' #4 D and 'depth' forwards BTW. A cast of largely cast offs. You going to tell them depth has no value? You going to tell a Canuck team that had three historically bad injury seasons that?

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Wouldn't every team? What a boring, unproductive and useless statement.

Gee, I'd like to be a billionaire, own the Canucks and have Zooey Deschannel on speed dial under the contact 'Booty Call'.

VGK's just went to the cup final with a bunch of 'depth' #4 D and 'depth' forwards BTW. A cast of largely cast offs. You going to tell them depth has no value?

Vegas got 70 goals this season from their top 2 Centres....

Karlsson and Marchessault....

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Vegas got 70 goals this season from their top 2 Centres....

Karlsson and Marchessault....

Who (Karlsson in particular) were 'middling depth players' until they arrived in Vegas FYI.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who (Karlsson in particular) were 'middling depth players' until they arrived in Vegas FYI.

So you think Granny can make the same improvements  this year...  maybe go from 8 goals like last year to a 43 goals like Karlsson got this year...

Yah, keep dreaming.  Offseason is great for the hopelessly overly  optimistic.

Best time of the year right now....   to be a Canuck fan for sure.....

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

So you think Granny can make the same improvements  this year...  maybe go from 8 goals like last year to a 43 goals like Karlsson got this year...

No, that's not what I'm saying.

On 17/07/2018 at 11:32 AM, xereau said:

It could be far, far worse. No?  Instead of having too many NHL level players signed, here are some names that could still be around.  

Ronalds Ķēniņš

Eddie Läck

Brandon McMillan

Adam Clendening

Joe Cannata

Taylor Fedun

Linden Vey

Alex Friesen

Bobby Sanguinetti

Dustin Jeffrey

Mike Zalewski

Niklas Jensen

Kellan Lain

Pascal Pelletier

Raphael Diaz

Jack Skille

Jayson Megna

Chad Billins

Joseph Crammarosa

Borna Rendulic

Drew Shore

Emerson Etem

Matt Bartkowski

Brandon DeFazio

Benn Ferriero

Zac Dalpe

hey let's be fair - borna rendulic is a bad ass hockey name

Not saying Karlsson’s 43 goal are a fluke or an 1 season wonder, but they do happen. Look up one of the most famous players to fit into this category “Chris Kontos” 92-93 season with T bay. 

I would expect Karlsson’s numbers to drop next season. I would also expect the Knights to much worse next season as well.

I believe(and they can go ahead and prove me wrong) that they had a lightning in a bottle season. See 2005 Oilers, 2004 Flames. Both teams had no business being in the Cup finals. Multiple player on each team had years that were far above there true talent level. 

The next season the teams came back to reality. Not just cup finals hangover, but have been pretty crapy ever since. 

The Knights do have a better goalie, and that does help them. But asking that many players to have career years again....

thats a big ask. 

Benning does not want to rush players now as in a year or two we should be fighting for a playoff spot!

me i think a trade or two has to happen before seasons start.

Maybe like said a waiver for two players or so and then we will know what we have.

either way things go we are still a rebuilding team!

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

well yah sort of.. 

both were depth players on better teams than van, especially WK in CBJ, they finished 4th in the league before the expansion.. 

also both were coming off career years, in particular JM who potted 30g and 51 points. in fact I was surprised they exposed him.

point being, middling depth players on one team are not equal to those on another. van has a glut of mediocrity that is slowly being replaced with promise.. nobody is interested in our depth players from last year. I think if we protected a full roster and let the rest go to highest bidder, we'd hear nothing but crickets and the occasional tumbleweed.. 

on that note, I'm not sure why gaunce was protected over sbisa.. I mean in 3 years time neither will likely be part of the team anyway, but in the meantime we're always hurting for nhl caliber defense.. 

but I digress..

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Nobody does....

However thats just it. Nobody expected Karlsson to do this neither... otherwise there’s not in chance in hell Vegas would have gotten him. 

We are getting better depth than we probably ever had. 

We will never have 10 EP caliber waiting... but there is a lot to be optimistic about in that group. 

2 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

well yah sort of.. 

both were depth players on better teams than van, especially WK in CBJ, they finished 4th in the league before the expansion.. 

also both were coming off career years, in particular JM who potted 30g and 51 points. in fact I was surprised they exposed him.

point being, middling depth players on one team are not equal to those on another. van has a glut of mediocrity that is slowly being replaced with promise.. nobody is interested in our depth players from last year. I think if we protected a full roster and let the rest go to highest bidder, we'd hear nothing but crickets and the occasional tumbleweed.. 

on that note, I'm not sure why gaunce was protected over sbisa.. I mean in 3 years time neither will likely be part of the team anyway, but in the meantime we're always hurting for nhl caliber defense.. 

but I digress..

Agree. But we need to fill a roster while the youth develop.

Also we didn’t protect Gaunce. Both him and Sbisa were not protected. VGK selected Sbisa. In 3 years, neither team will care!

7 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

well yah sort of.. 

but I digress..

And the year before last, Granlund had 19 goals and 32 points in only 69 games while still paying solid defensively. Baer has been scoring at high 2nd line/borderline 1st line rates for a couple years. Gagner is a +/- 40 point player. 

Nobody made the argument that all depth players are equal but to say that none of those depth guys would have ANY trade value should prospects make then expendable, is simply false. 

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

Image result for really gif

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

We are getting better depth than we probably ever had. 

Only at forward and only if all our prospects reach their potential which doesn't happen.  

27 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Image result for really gif

Only at forward and only if all our prospects reach their potential which doesn't happen.  

Yup. Sucker for pretty eyes...among other things ::D

386d6ad4ea0abb25ea565bbaa4e8ce24.jpg

*Would also accept Natalie Portman or Alison Brie.

Archived