The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trouba for Tanev

trouba would be a nice target, he would get a very big role on our team, so he could produce more if given more offensive opportunities.

A deal would have to be Tanev, Goldobin & a prospect or draft pick. 

Between Trouba or Dumba who would be easier to get? Both need new deals, unless Dumba has already got 1 from Minny

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

trouba would be a nice target, he would get a very big role on our team, so he could produce more if given more offensive opportunities.

A deal would have to be Tanev, Goldobin & a prospect or draft pick. 

Between Trouba or Dumba who would be easier to get? Both need new deals, unless Dumba has already got 1 from Minny

Good point and question...………..according to Cap Friendly Dumba is still a RFA

Maybe Tanev, Granlund, and Goldobin ?

or

Tanev, Goldobin and a 2020 2nd

I think if jets were gonna trade trouba at all they woulda done it 2 years ago buuuuuuuuttttt where’s the fun in that?! 

Well whats wpg gonna want? A roster player for a roster player type deal and maybe shed some cap 

To wpg: tanev, goldobin, hutton

to van: trouba, Perrault 

16 hours ago, CharlieChan said:

The Jets & Trouba are $3 million apart as an RFA:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news.

Trouba's agent says he has come down from $8 mill to $7 mill.

Trouba is being too greedy & The Jets really don't have any room in their salary structure to set the president of overpaying their RFA's.

So a solid trade could work here for the Jets.  I would over Tanev straight up for Trouba.

Right side D for right side D.

Trouba gets injured as much as Tanev.

Tanev is locked  in at a reasonable cap hit.

Jet's fans say Trouba doesn't put up enough points for the money he wants.

Trouba is 4 years younger than Tanev so we would have to add sweetener to the package.

Tanev, with 42ish games played last year & only 2 years left on his pact?

Won't command a strong RFA like Trouba who can potentially be locked up for another 5 or 7 years.  

Would I pay Tanev & a first? No.  But I doubt you would get the Jets to even come to the table without that plus more.

Tanev & Trouba both get hurt alot & both guy's miss a similar number of games.

So both teams would see this as a wash in the expectation of a future games lost through injury.

The only reason that Trouba is available because he & his agent have priced himself out of the Winnipeg market.

Winnipeg likes to have a payroll that is under the salary cap.

If they resign him at $6 m they will set the president of overpaying him by 50%.

Laine & Ehlers agents will be looking for similar deals.

How often are 24 year old R D available in the trade market?

Never.

Benning needs to be all over this.

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Tanev, with 42ish games played last year & only 2 years left on his pact?

Won't command a strong RFA like Trouba who can potentially be locked up for another 5 or 7 years.  

Would I pay Tanev & a first? No.  But I doubt you would get the Jets to even come to the table without that plus more.

Trouba does a little of everything and doesn't get the juiciest minutes, and his upside is considerable.  Games played is a consern though, personally I think we need durable defenseman if we are going after one. Vancouver definitely had the  pieces for a trade though, Tanev straight across should be enough given the cap relief and what he adds to the table for a contender like WNP.   I wouldn't be against it given we have the cap space and we can sign him as part of the deal (7x7 would look fine in a couple years and he likely would add ten plus goals a year on our first unit PP, would have the best shot on our blue line right away).  

He's young and hasn't peaked yet, if he can play 75 plus games a year for us I would do this trade in an instant.  We'd lose Tanev steady reliable defense, but would add a solid top four guy to build around for a long, long time.  A Hughes/Trouba tandem has a lot more offensive potential than a Hughes Tanev (point shots not so great).  If the rumours are true and WNP takes him to arbitration they might be open to bringing the two Tanevs together.  Better than any deal we might get from TO, a late first or Trouba?  Most GMs would be extatic to draft a guy like that in the first round, and we would skip the development phase as it's already done.  We have the cap room for him, we'd instantly add a core piece for a veteran that struggles to stay healthy and isn't getting any younger.  No brainer. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

He's young and hasn't peaked yet, if he can play 75 plus games a year for us I would do this trade in an instant.

From a trade value standpoint, Tanev & a first for Trouba?

I agree it's a value that's reasonable. I agree Trouba has more to give, he's held back by Byfuglien & Myers.

Our first is still likely, barring a lot less guys getting injured, and more rookies or young players not just progressing, but impressing? Maybe even dominating...

That first is going to be a lottery pick. High percentage likelihood anyway? Being conservative in terms of upside & down, 6th or 7th overall? 

Its a pick that 3-4 years from now, should see a player just like Trouba surface. We're a young rebuilding team.  We have to keep that first! 

2 hours ago, CharlieChan said:

Tanev & Trouba both get hurt alot & both guy's miss a similar number of games.

So both teams would see this as a wash in the expectation of a future games lost through injury.

Good luck with that.

Trouba at 24 has 134 career points. In a role where his offense has been held back. Because mutual RHD Buff is not just gifted, but elite offensively. Myers also commands reps. Trouba gets little to no PP or key offensive opportunity, which he would get more of on most teams. But he still has 134 points. Plays a hard physical game with more edge to it, is taller and about 10 lbs heavier, 20 lbs compared to Tanev at the same age. He can be tied up for 5, 7, 8 years, most likely 6 on his next deal. 4 minimum, but I doubt Trouba settles for less term than he commands. He's a long term asset with upside.

Tanev at 28 has 89 career points. At 28 there is fair reason to think the injuries are catching up to Tanev. With his playing style, the punishment he absorbs, which I respect the hell out of, also makes it unlikely he will play to 34 or 35. There is no mandate for roles to see if he can score more. Its actually a hole in his game. There is only two years on his pact. He's an older player, as good as he is defensively, finishing not stating his prime, not a long term asset. Who does not offer as much to his team.

Tanev won't command Trouba.

Further, his GM is a hardass. This is not  Bergevin, or Chiarelli.  There has been zero trend to caving to pressure. The opposite in fact! Not with Kane. Not with Trouba the last time his pact came up. He's shown every patience of waiting out guys who had less leverage than him. Did not settle for Hamonic who wanted to move home to Winnipeg, as was rumoured, when Trouba held out a few years ago. I doubt he's settling for an older Tanev two years later...

While some teams have more assets to offer up in trade like the Leafs.

Having a solid right side D has to be part of the package.

So even if the Leafs offer up Marner or Nylander (which they won't.)

The Jets will need a right side D coming back that the Leafs don't have.

I think would include a second round pick or mid level prospect like Jonah Gadovich.

Both Trouba and Dumba would be great additions to our team.  Similar players, though Trouba has the edge due to huge minutes and potential upside.

I think Canucks would have give up +++ more than Tanev for either of them.

12 minutes ago, CharlieChan said:

Is Dumba on the market?

Well, if the Canucks want to take it up the wazoo and pay a king's ransom, then sure Dumba is available.  If the offer is Hutton, Goldobin and a 3rd, then no, Dumba is not available. 

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

MFrom a trade value standpoint, Tanev & a first for Trouba?

I agree it's a value that's reasonable. I agree Trouba has more to give, he's held back by Byfuglien & Myers.

Our first is still likely, barring a lot less guys getting injured, and more rookies or young players not just progressing, but impressing? Maybe even dominating...

That first is going to be a lottery pick. High percentage likelihood anyway? Being conservative in terms of upside & down, 6th or 7th overall? 

Its a pick that 3-4 years from now, should see a player just like Trouba surface. We're a young rebuilding team.  We have to keep that first! 

No way I'd include our first either, but would be happy to trade Tanev and one of our many fringe NHLers or mid-range prospects if WNP discovers that it's best for the team and he won't sign/stay for long anyway. He's got the pedigree to be an elite number one, WJC best defenseman, close to .5 PPG while playing on the PK, second PP unit and second most minutes played last year after Byfuglien.  Has size and uses it. BUT like Tanev seems to be injured every year.!  That's the only disturbing part, otherwise he'd be a solid top 4 or 2 (Hughes and Tanev lacks a point shot, Hughes and Trouba could be dynamite).  WNP could ask for everything and the kitchen sink, I'd consider our 2 but would rather not and try dangling someone who's the right fit for them and could be used a cheap replacement for them, and take a bad contract back the other way.  That might tempt them, especially if arbitration goes Trouba's way.

On 2018-07-18 at 7:54 PM, wildcam said:

I would really like Trouba 6'3, 24 in a Canuck Jersey....This guy would be very good but 7 million would be on the high side.. Guess he would be worth between 5.5 million - 6 million ?

I was thinking the same. 

I'd be willing to go 6yrs/6 per. 

A pairing with Hughes should bump his numbers to match his income.

I don't see any way that the Jets don't re sign Trouba.  Their 4 Million offer is a joke.  I think he ends up at 6x6.  

If the Jets do put him in the market, I'd offer at most

Tanev

Guadette, or a lesser prospect

2nd or 3rd round pick and C level prospect

I think Trouba and Tanev play a similar style game, and both do come with some injury concern.  Tanev is on a steal of a contract now, but will cash in as a UFA in 2 years.  Trouba will be paid much more, but also have many more years of control.  Trouba is also 4 years younger.  I think it would take a propect like Gaudette and a 2nd to get it done.  Even then, I think another team would match or beat that type of offer.

Archived