Canucks Community
Sign in to follow this  
babalu

[Discussion] Value of: Bjugstad

What do fans think it would take to acquire Bjugstad.

Would something around Gudbranson and Sutter work?

300 faceoffs taken last year, was a 50% faceoff guy so he's not terrible. Don't wanna say he's not a true center cause someone somewhere will get upset. 40 point guy, barely an upgrade on Sutter imo. He's big, but doesn't hit a bunch. Center, but doesn't take a lot of draws. I think it's a bit much to lose for a guy that is at best a slight upgrade on Sutter.

• Upvote 2

And from the flip side....

Florida isn't the most likely team to take on an extra 4 million in cap hit only to get older at a position. 

2 hours ago, babalu said:

Florida is a cheap team so I think they would be looking for prospects/ entry level guys or picks that they don't have to pay the big bucks to.

I think Bjugstad would fit in well with our team, but looking at their team, what they are missing is some LHD.  I think they would be a good landing spot for Edler.  He is inexpensive for what he brings and would make their top 4 much better.  We could retain some salary if need be to make the deal work.  Edler could play with Luongo again.

Try

Bjugstad ($4.1) for Edler 50% retained(2.5 mil) + Goldobin ($1.1 mil)

something like this I would go for.  Bjugstad makes our forwards better, Edler makes their defense better and makes room for Juolevi, Hughes, Hutton's comeback year and Tryamkin in the future. Bjugstad would provide more offense than Goldobin this year and gives us some size.  

Commence dismantling my suggestion.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Bjugstad Petersson

Leipsic Sutter Eriksson

Rousel Beagle Granlund

Schaller Gagner

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

300 faceoffs taken last year, was a 50% faceoff guy so he's not terrible. Don't wanna say he's not a true center cause someone somewhere will get upset. 40 point guy, barely an upgrade on Sutter imo. He's big, but doesn't hit a bunch. Center, but doesn't take a lot of draws. I think it's a bit much to lose for a guy that is at best a slight upgrade on Sutter.

His production was mostly while playing wing to Barkov.  Their Cs are Barkov, Trocheck, McCann.

I just can't understand why people want to trade for also rans, that will only clog the middle of our lineup...……..

Bjugstad is not the answer...….he will only at best give us enough points to screw up our draft position next year

at worst, he will screw up our draft position next year...……….all for what?

"IF" we were wanting the playoffs, we should have broke the bank for Tavares......but it is too soon, and I am glad we did not.....

So why go half way and stop? That is what Bjugstad is..half way! Just enough to screw things up!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

His production was mostly while playing wing to Barkov.  Their Cs are Barkov, Trocheck, McCann.

Yeah I seen him listed as a center so I went with that angle. Not to mention if we acquired him for the wing he'd probably slot in on the right wing, which is pretty much our better wing. 

25 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I just can't understand why people want to trade for also rans, that will only clog the middle of our lineup...……..

Bjugstad is not the answer...….he will only at best give us enough points to screw up our draft position next year

"IF" we were wanting the playoffs, we should have broke the bank for Tavares......but it is too soon, and I am glad we did not.....

So why go half way and stop? That is what Bjugstad is..half way! Just enough to screw things up!

I see your on team tank. 

First of all Tavares was never going to sign here. No matter how much money we threw at him.

I agree it we don't need more vets but if we could move out some say Sutter, Gagner, and MDZ or Guddy for 1 guy that would fit our top 6 better I would be all for it.

There was a rumour last year that Tallon tried to trade for Gudbranson with Demers going to the Cabucks but Demers wouldn't waive.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, babalu said:

I see your on team tank. 

I think everyone knows that...….we are in the middle of a rebuild...maybe a year or so past the middle, but we certainly should not be trying to move ourselves out of our current position unless it is by having our prospects pull us out. Personally, I think we are 1 or 2 more drafts from that day, then I believe we can add as you suggest, but we need to be in position for 1 more elite center and 1 elite winger. We have to have patience IMO.

First of all Tavares was never going to sign here. No matter how much money we threw at him.

No, I was not suggesting we sign him, but "IF" we were wanting to get out of the basement, then we should have made noise to do so totally committed.

Not half assed, which is what Bjugstad would accomplish.

I agree it we don't need more vets but if we could move out some say Sutter, Gagner, and MDZ or Guddy for 1 guy that would fit our top 6 better I would be all for it.

No offense but none of those guys will bring us what we need.....we need a 23/24 year old 1st or 2nd line player as you have rightfully said, one which will be around to help Horvat and Co, as they climb up the rankings, as the others mature. No GM will give you that for a journeyman player....they will give you picks, or B-Prospects, but not elite or near elite players of that age...……...

There was a rumour last year that Tallon tried to trade for Gudbranson with Demers going to the Cabucks but Demers wouldn't waive.

There was a rumor to that effect, which makes you wonder why Tallon wants him back.....does he see value in Gudbranson? I think so...….

We just need to be patient and not start trading assets for the sake of making a trade. Sutter for Bjugstad is a marginal trade at best

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS...……….I am a "Tanker" because I feel we will not get the assets any other way. Other GM's do not give their good players away intentionally, unless

you can make a trade with Edmonton or Ottawa...maybe Montreal, but generally they don't give away Number one Type assets.....and statistically, you just can't build a team

if you toil in the middle for 10 years, and signing UFA's long term, is not the best either

When we have enough young assets, we will be able to let them all earn their spots, and we will be competitive, we will also at that point be able to swing deals where we are trading a grade A prospect for a grade A prospect with another team, to fill holes....just not yet.

So what I do not want to do, is acquire a decent player who may make a small difference, but won't be around for the Cup run, who may affect our ability to acquire the high end prospects which are easier picked in the earlier part of the draft, which we will need to achieve this...…..

Please do not get me wrong...…..I hate being at the bottom, and if we move out organically......I am all for it!

Edited by janisahockeynut

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think everyone knows that...….we are in the middle of a rebuild...maybe a year or so past the middle, but we certainly should not be trying to move ourselves out of our current position unless it is by having our prospects pull us out. Personally, I think we are 1 or 2 more drafts from that day, then I believe we can add as you suggest, but we need to be in position for 1 more elite center and 1 elite winger. We have to have patience IMO.

No, I was not suggesting we sign him, but "IF" we were wanting to get out of the basement, then we should have made noise to do so totally committed.

Not half assed, which is what Bjugstad would accomplish.

No offense but none of those guys will bring us what we need.....we need a 23/24 year old 1st or 2nd line player as you have rightfully said, one which will be around to help Horvat and Co, as they climb up the rankings, as the others mature. No GM will give you that for a journeyman player....they will give you picks, or B-Prospects, but not elite or near elite players of that age...……...

There was a rumor to that effect, which makes you wonder why Tallon wants him back.....does he see value in Gudbranson? I think so...….

We just need to be patient and not start trading assets for the sake of making a trade. Sutter for Bjugstad is a marginal trade at best

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS...……….I am a "Tanker" because I feel we will not get the assets any other way. Other GM's do not give their good players away intentionally, unless

you can make a trade with Edmonton or Ottawa...maybe Montreal, but generally they don't give away Number one Type assets.....and statistically, you just can't build a team

if you toil in the middle for 10 years, and signing UFA's long term, is not the best either

When we have enough young assets, we will be able to let them all earn their spots, and we will be competitive, we will also at that point be able to swing deals where we are trading a grade A prospect for a grade A prospect with another team, to fill holes....just not yet.

So what I do not want to do, is acquire a decent player who may make a small difference, but won't be around for the Cup run, who may affect our ability to acquire the high end prospects which are easier picked in the earlier part of the draft, which we will need to achieve this...…..

Please do not get me wrong...…..I hate being at the bottom, and if we move out organically......I am all for it!

I will likely be joining team tank at some point if the Canucks are out of it later in the season.

I think there is value in our young players getting a taste of the playoffs even if they aren't contenders.

I am not expecting a team to give us an elite young top six for our jouneyman players.

More looking for someone that fits better in to the top six so we can bring out the full potential in Pettersson.

I would also like to see them move on from guys like Gagner and MDZ in favor of Goldy, Dahlen, Juolevi and Hughes.

But like you say we need to have patience. I definitely like the way the Canucks are being built through the draft and not suggesting we cut corners just looking at making a few tweaks to the line up that I believe could help in the development of our young players. I also think at some point you have to start being competitive and develop a winning team culture as that is after all the point of competitive sport.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Bjugstad is what, a year younger than the age at which we acquired Sutter?

And for my money he's kinda like Sutter. A slightly less feisty capable, but significantly more imposing shutdown man. I personally don't believe Benning will trade Sutter? 

Nick scores more. Its not his forte, but he led Florida in scoring at least once. I believe twice? He can handle a shut down role. Big guys like Getzlaf or Benn but does things Sutter does not... Jump into a top 6 scoring role? Finish some plays, bang away at rebounds, tip or redirect shots, dig out pucks on the boards.  

Bjuggy would be a good get IMO, help not clog the middle of our line up.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, babalu said:

I will likely be joining team tank at some point if the Canucks are out of it later in the season.

Yeah, don't be in a hurry, it is not a favorable spot to cheer the Canucks from...….I would rather have a more rosier POV, but I am excited of our future, just don't want to see us move prematurely.....don't get me wrong, I still cheer for them and love our young players. I just hope they develop as a team organically and not try to fill in with vets, which will have our prospects pushing in a year....I would rather move the veteran for picks, if that is the case

I think there is value in our young players getting a taste of the playoffs even if they aren't contenders.

Yes, me too......in 14 months...not yet

I am not expecting a team to give us an elite young top six for our journeyman players. 

Well, then how do you expect to get them...……….how do you expect to pay for them?

More looking for someone that fits better in to the top six so we can bring out the full potential in Pettersson.

I like the idea, and with 5 or 6 centers sitting in the top 10 of next years draft....that is how we should fill that spot, unless we have the player already

Remember, Gaudette was a high scoring center in the NCAA...….he will be a solid player for us, the 5 games he played last year had some very good moments

and he was not really playing with anyone that had offensive upside...give him time...….I think he will be better than Sutter (Offensively)

I would also like to see them move on from guys like Gagner and MDZ in favor of Goldy, Dahlen, Juolevi and Hughes.

Me too!

But like you say we need to have patience. I definitely like the way the Canucks are being built through the draft and not suggesting we cut corners just looking at making a few tweaks to the line up that I believe could help in the development of our young players. I also think at some point you have to start being competitive and develop a winning team culture as that is after all the point of competitive sport.

I have no problem, if we improve from within...if our young players just develop faster than expected...………….I am really good with that.

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2018 at 3:21 PM, babalu said:

I once was a lot more interested in Bjugstad. That feeling has cooled somewhat over the last few seasons. I have to admit that I haven't seen him play much, but from what I have read on the interwebz he's either not progressed much from where he was in 2014, or maybe he's even moved back some. He's had some injury issues.

I went to the "fountain" of all hockey knowledge for more insight: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-offseason-grade-the-player-nick-bjugstad.2515333/ and the general commentary was not overly high. "Gudbranson and Sutter" might be seen as being way too much.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

4 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I once was a lot more interested in Bjugstad. That feeling has cooled somewhat over the last few seasons. I have to admit that I haven't seen him play much, but from what I have read on the interwebz he's either not progressed much from where he was in 2014, or maybe he's even moved back some. He's had some injury issues.

I went to the "fountain" of all hockey knowledge for more insight: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-offseason-grade-the-player-nick-bjugstad.2515333/ and the general commentary was not overly high. "Gudbranson and Sutter" might be seen as being way too much.

regards,  G.

Well? I've had Bjuggy and Barkov in my pools for 3 and 4 years. So I watched Nick a lot. 

Partly because Florida is short on wingers. But also because he's too good to be a 3C, Bjugstad played mostly with Barkov & Dadanov last year on the top line. Was left off the PP, killed some penalties. 

Bjugstad is a legit 2C IMO. But they had Trochek explode onto the scene. He scored over 70 points & simply stole his role on the team.  Its depth, a good problem, not an actual issue. Their top prospect Borgstrom is also a pivot with wizard like puck skills, so I suggest Nick's role wont change much. A top line / top 6  glue guy on the wing role.  

Nick just missed scoring 50 points last year. A few plays die on his stick. His line mates both had 70 plus... He may only have the appeal of Brendan Gaunce (who can actually score), a sedate kind of play style, zone up approach to coverage defensively? He's not exciting, so many lose interest is my response to the HF boards. But he's pretty damned effective, still scores, still actually 6'6'', 220 lbs and with some speed.  And like Gaunce, not at the level of Sutter, an effective checker. For $4 mill, he's just turned 26 & has 3 years on his deal. A great utility player, match up body.

Florida is short on wingers.  @babalu the OP asked what is his value?  My suspicion is they wont & have no need to trade him. 

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Well? I've had Bjuggy and Barkov in my pools for 3 and 4 years. So I watched Nick a lot. 

Partly because Florida is short on wingers. But also because he's too good to be a 3C, Bjugstad played mostly with Barkov & Dadanov last year on the top line. Was left off the PP, killed some penalties. 

Bjugstad is a legit 2C IMO. But they had Trochek explode onto the scene. He scored over 70 points & simply stole his role on the team.  Its depth, a good problem, not an actual issue. Their top prospect Borgstrom is also a pivot with wizard like puck skills, so I suggest Nick's role wont change much. A top line / top 6  glue guy on the wing role.  

Nick just missed scoring 50 points last year. A few plays die on his stick. His line mates both had 70 plus... He may only have the appeal of Brendan Gaunce (who can actually score), a sedate kind of play style, zone up approach to coverage defensively? He's not exciting, so many lose interest is my response to the HF boards. But he's pretty damned effective, still scores, still actually 6'6'', 220 lbs and with some speed.  And like Gaunce, not at the level of Sutter, an effective checker. For $4 mill, he's just turned 26 & has 3 years on his deal. A great utility player, match up body.

Florida is short on wingers.  @babalu the OP asked what is his value?  My suspicion is they wont & have no need to trade him. 

Apparently there were recent trade romors surrounding Bjugstad. However, in a recent article Tallon says he love Bjugstad and isn't looking to trade him. I wonder if Tallon is still as high on Guddy as he was last year that he would consider it. 

13 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

I was more saying something around Guddy and Sutter as Tallon tried to get Gudbranson back in trade last year and Sutter would be a bit redundant if we traded for Bjugstad and may be a good replacement for Bjugstad on the Panthers. Maybe the value is too high so there could be additions if neccessary.