The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Mic'd Up at the Draft

Shekky

1 minute ago, Brock Botanen said:

Draft is in Vancouver, if there ever was a time for us to win it it's this year.

Dahlen Hughes Pettersson

Boeser Hughes

Goldobin Horvat Virtanen

Juolevi Stecher

Out PP would be so deadly if we managed to land Jack Hughes

Hard to win the lottery when you finish above 16th but a trade is always possible.....B)

5 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

You gotta give respect to Judd Brackett.  Being GM JB is busy enough and you can tell he has 100% confidence in Judd to go out and scout/evaluate players that fit what the Canucks want.  

He's going to be a GM one day, maybe even here hopefully way in the future since JB is doing a great job. He's going to be an assistant GM probably before too long.

47 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Hard to win the lottery when you finish above 16th but a trade is always possible.....B)

Vancouver will be drafting in the top 8 again.....

31.Ottawa, 30.Montreal, Arizona, Det, NYR, NYI, Ducks, Vancouver....

11 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

Judd bracket in 3rd rounder talking abt number 1 goalie..i wonder who that was?

They said if a certain goalie was available when they pick.

I'm assuming he was talking about Rodrigue, who was a top ranked goalie that slipped to the last pick of the second round.

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

that was a typo - I meant at 6 - as they clearly preferred Hughes over Zadina.

But possibly as high as 3 as well - just not the evidence there.

Fair enough, I think the evidence is that we needed a slick skating dman like Hughes, and if it came down to Tkachuk or him I'd personally take Hughes. That comes from my liking Zadina over Tkachuk, so if JB liked Hughes over Zadina then, well, pretty simple math there. 

I'm below amateur scout at best, but I went on record long ago as wanting another dman with our top pick so I'd still take Hughes over Tkachuk if it were between the two. Ergo, Hughes at 3 for me. 

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They said if a certain goalie was available when they pick.

I'm assuming he was talking about Rodrigue, who was a top ranked goalie that slipped to the last pick of the second round.

Judd said if their number one ranked goalie was there in the third round should we use the pick. Benning said no to the goalie idea. Benning said maybe if we had multiple 3rd round picks he’d be open to adding a goalie. So Judd’s number one goalie may have been there at our pick and we’ll never know.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Outside of Montreal stealing Guy Lafleur when's the last time someone traded to get 1st overall and won?

Most of the time it's huge haul. And it hasn't been done since 2003. 

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Outside of Montreal stealing Guy Lafleur when's the last time someone traded to get 1st overall and won?

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And they didn't really win, Dionne said many times if they drafted him instead he would have scored 1000 goals on that MTL team, and I believe him.  Remember watching them play in an old timers game in the late-nineties, Dionne was still unreal, Lafluer had bottle rockets on his skates which was neat, Dionne was unreal still though.  

Just now, IBatch said:

And they didn't really win, Dionne said many times if they drafted him instead he would have scored 1000 goals on that MTL team, and I believe him.  Remember watching them play in an old timers game in the late-nineties, Dionne was still unreal, Lafluer had bottle rockets on his skates which was neat, Dionne was unreal still though.  

It's the way Montreal got first overall that's crazy.

Stupid California Golden Seals.

"With Lafleur and fellow French-Canadian Marcel Dionne among the top prospects in the 1971 NHL Amateur Draft, the Habs' general manager, Sam Pollock, was keen to find a way to trade to obtain one of the top two picks. He persuaded California Golden Seals owner Charlie Finley to trade the Seals' 1971 first-round pick and François Lacombe in return for Montreal's 1970 first-round pick and veteran Ernie Hicke. Unrelated to the draft of that year was the dealing of Ralph Backstrom, often credited as helping the Kings stay out of last place; however, at the time of the trade the Kings were ahead of the Seals, Red Wings. Sabres and Canucks and the deal had no effect on the Kings' standings that year. Oakland finished last, leaving Montreal with the first overall pick (the draft lottery had not yet been implemented). Pollock hesitated between Lafleur and Dionne, but chose Lafleur with the first draft choice." Wikipedia

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Most of the time it's huge haul. And it hasn't been done since 2003. 

I sure don't think that is happening but it will be only way Canucks can draft first overall next year.   The projections for this team who think they will be able to be that low in the standings to have a reasonable lottery chance are simply ignoring how well they played when not injured last year, how unlikely it is to be as injured next year, how much the signed additions will positively add to the team, how much growth Ian will add to the goalies and how much more the competition for spots this year will add to overall team play.   Yes, Sedins points will be hard to replace but Canucks are going to surprise a lot of teams this year and, apparently after reading a lot of CDC opinion, a lot of fans too.

1 hour ago, Nuck1991 said:

Judd bracket in 3rd rounder talking abt number 1 goalie..i wonder who that was?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2018e.html

3 goalies drafted in the 3rd round.

1st goalie drafted after our selection was 4 picks later by the Isles, the next 2 was 16 picks later. 

38 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Judd said if their number one ranked goalie was there in the third round should we use the pick. Benning said no to the goalie idea. Benning said maybe if we had multiple 3rd round picks he’d be open to adding a goalie. So Judd’s number one goalie may have been there at our pick and we’ll never know.

goalies that were picked in the 3rd round after the Canucks selection

Madden 68

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=197787

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=210709

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=211453

Unless one of them becomes the next Hasek, or Lundqvist, I am happy with the Madden pick for now.  He was good at the showdown.  Plus we have Demko and Dipietro in our pipeline, don't need another goalie as of yet.

Archived