The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Mic'd Up at the Draft

Shekky

Love these videos when JB Mic's up really gives you some insight on the hockey world. I like the JB wasn't really willing to give up those draft picks for extra picks just so they can select the guy they want. I've been impressed with the drafts that he has done I'm really excited for all these prospects they have acquired over the years and look forward to more of these videos.

I was about to post this you beat me lol. I'm a sucker for these mic'd up moments. It shows us fans how high Benning had Hughes on his list. Gotta love when your GM gets the player he wants. 

I love how they were hoping Detroit would draft Zadina haha

9 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I was about to post this you beat me lol. I'm a sucker for these mic'd up moments. It shows us fans how high Benning had Hughes on his list. Gotta love when your GM gets the player he wants. 

I love how they were hoping Detroit would draft Zadina haha

I was wondering when or if they were doing one this year so I'm glad they keep doing it. I have been waiting everyday to be honest because I love these kinds of videos lol :lol:

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Clear that Benning, Brackett and Weisbrod would have taken Hughes at 4.

Also had Dubas sniffing around for pick 37, Fenton and Armstrong as well...

Interesting how much consensus they work within....

One of the reasons I like JB as the GM.  Guy really respects his team and gives them ample opportunity to state their opinions.  I notice that he isn't afraid to take their suggestions or give them credit where due.  Very good leadership.

28 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I'm sure Tkachuk will be a fine player, but they probably would have taken Hughes at 3, too. 

that was a typo - I meant at 6 - as they clearly preferred Hughes over Zadina.

But possibly as high as 3 as well - just not the evidence there.

Interesting - when Tkachuk and Hughes were team-mates on the USNDP Under-18 team as 16 year olds, Hughes was tied as leading scorer on that team - as a D - outscoring Tkachuk - while some other notable 16yr olds could not stick on that team (were assigned to the U-17 team - ie Wahlstrom although a young 16, and Farabee).

Hughes also outscored the forward he tied on that U-18 team - Josh Norris - this past season at Michigan

Archived