The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Mic'd Up at the Draft

Shekky

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I sure don't think that is happening but it will be only way Canucks can draft first overall next year.   The projections for this team who think they will be able to be that low in the standings to have a reasonable lottery chance are simply ignoring how well they played when not injured last year, how unlikely it is to be as injured next year, how much the signed additions will positively add to the team, how much growth Ian will add to the goalies and how much more the competition for spots this year will add to overall team play.   Yes, Sedins points will be hard to replace but Canucks are going to surprise a lot of teams this year and, apparently after reading a lot of CDC opinion, a lot of fans too.

the Sedins were -23 with 50+ pts...the bar is set low by last year's best players; therefore, should see improvement on the defensive side of the puck...goal scoring may still be a problem if Pettersson and Dahlen and Gaudette can't contribute as hoped. Baer, Bo and Boeser need to carry the load now. The "D" should help contribute to scoring if they all play better, which may result in less goals against...Goaltending should improve with better coaching as you mentioned.

If the young guys can score and be plus players....it may be a surprisingly good year.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

the Sedins were -23 with 50+ pts...the bar is set low by last year's best players; therefore, should see improvement on the defensive side of the puck...goal scoring may still be a problem if Pettersson and Dahlen and Gaudette can't contribute as hoped. Baer, Bo and Boeser need to carry the load now. The "D" should help contribute to scoring if they all play better, which may result in less goals against...Goaltending should improve with better coaching as you mentioned.

If the young guys can score and be plus players....it may be a surprisingly good year.

My crystal ball says they're going to start out slow and improve a lot as the season goes on.  The final result?  Drafting 10-15

11 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Wonder why it took so long this year to release? Deciding what to edit out? Gauging interest?

Wanted an angle with Benning sitting down when he found out Hughes was available as his pants were, um, tighter in spots and would not have been good for family viewing.

13 minutes ago, TheRick said:

Here's one from the Montreal Canadiens featuring Marc Bergevin's Stupidity.

I know these videos are generally to showcase the scouting staff, but I couldn't help but notice Benning was sitting at the table with his crew and Bergevin looked to be chilling in the background. More or less just spectating. It really is super beneficial for us to have a GM that seemingly wants to be apart of these talks in a big way. I know it's a bit unfair to judge Bergevin on these videos cause for all I know he is a big part of the draft talks but I can't help but think he's more of a spectator and less of a voice than Benning. Small things like where he was sitting stood out to me.

I also gotta mention seeing Weisbrod and Benning at the draft table is always a treat. They always look so giddy with excitement. Like the clip of Tavares, the look on Weisbrod's face was fun to see. Brackett is always so business first looking most of the time I love the dynamic of the three guys. Benning was so pumped that Woo was at their pick and Brackett was like "Yup, calculated B) "

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I know these videos are generally to showcase the scouting staff, but I couldn't help but notice Benning was sitting at the table with his crew and Bergevin looked to be chilling in the background. More or less just spectating. It really is super beneficial for us to have a GM that seemingly wants to be apart of these talks in a big way. I know it's a bit unfair to judge Bergevin on these videos cause for all I know he is a big part of the draft talks but I can't help but think he's more of a spectator and less of a voice than Benning. Small things like where he was sitting stood out to me.

He must of known where the Habs fans were in the audience and wanted a little more room in case the rotten tomatoes started flying with his first pick....

17 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

You gotta give respect to Judd Brackett.  Being GM JB is busy enough and you can tell he has 100% confidence in Judd to go out and scout/evaluate players that fit what the Canucks want.  

Don't know if roles have changed since but when Brackett was promoted the press release said that he would answer to Weisbrod.  Weisbrod was the one tasked to revamp the scouting department.  It's him that standardised the approach - everyone using the same vocabulary and grading system and having a specific profile of what they are looking for.  He had the same role in Calgary and there he was more often in the media.  

Love these videos! It's fun watching Benning in his eye-for-talent element and these guys getting excited.

Last year, aside from Pettersson, he couldn't believe Lind was still available and then this year Hughes falls to us and we still get Woo.

If our GM and crew walk away from the draft with what they wanted, excited, and fist-pumping, that's a great thing.

Can't wait for the near future when the rest of the country and league go, "Holy begeesis, where did the Canucks come from all of a sudden?"

15 hours ago, Green Building said:

Fair enough, I think the evidence is that we needed a slick skating dman like Hughes, and if it came down to Tkachuk or him I'd personally take Hughes. That comes from my liking Zadina over Tkachuk, so if JB liked Hughes over Zadina then, well, pretty simple math there. 

I'm below amateur scout at best, but I went on record long ago as wanting another dman with our top pick so I'd still take Hughes over Tkachuk if it were between the two. Ergo, Hughes at 3 for me. 

I personally agree with you - I'd have taken Hughes over Tkachuk.

I can't speak for the Canucks - the only thing that is clear from the video is that they preferred Hughes over Zadina, but it's fair to guess that they may have taken Hughes as high as 3 imo.   In any event, we've been getting shafted at draft lotteries, but it seems like the team themselves have somewhat overcome that bad luck and falling draft position with picks like Pettersson and Hughes.

On 19/07/2018 at 6:24 PM, Nail said:

Kudos to the Canucks for doing this again, I find this stuff super interesting!

Not just super interesting but very enlightening as well.... 

great to see the reaction of the management. 

22 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

You gotta give respect to Judd Brackett.  Being GM JB is busy enough and you can tell he has 100% confidence in Judd to go out and scout/evaluate players that fit what the Canucks want.  

Teamwork... you’ve gotta have total faith in your lieutenants other wise it won’t work. Great to see though. 

23 hours ago, doobiedoodoo said:

Just wanted to mentioned that Arizona ain't the only team that ranked Hayton extremely high. Benning himself said he had the exact same 7 players just in different order.

I had not heard that.  Its very interesting...

If you have a clip or interview, I'd be appreciative?

19 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Unless one of them becomes the next Hasek, or Lundqvist, I am happy with the Madden pick for now.  He was good at the showdown.  Plus we have Demko and Dipietro in our pipeline, don't need another goalie as of yet.

Hasek was drafted in the 10th round and Lundqvist was drafted in the 7th. That's why I'd rather not chance any more high picks on goalies.

I liked the Thiessen pick in the 7th round. He could become a decent goalie for us and the route he's taking gives a longer time for development. Exactly what they need right now why'll they see what they have in Demko and Dipietro.

Archived