The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Troy Stecher

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Funny how Benning is very good at signing players at good rates who we already have but damn does he overpay in free agency

Has to with the state of our team in a rebuild, otherwise who would choose us?  Plus the nature of the beast is that typically free agents get a little more but you don't have to trade assets, they are free other than the money.

Hey Ossi!

Remember this:

"Even though the arbitration may get him a contract at the "2.5-3m" you suggest, Troy might be interested in reducing salary in favour of an increased term, such as 2-3yrs for 2-2.5m."

(Sorry Bud, had to blow my own horn there, so to speak.  Take care.)

2 minutes ago, JV77 said:

Are we? Just good to go and get a cup?

Yep, Stecher and Virtanen + a couple of trades = cup. Plan the parade. As long as Raymond, Ballard and a second can still get us McDavid, Mathews and Crosby this should be pretty easy. 

31 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Funny how Benning is very good at signing players at good rates who we already have but damn does he overpay in free agency

I wonder if he has more leverage over people that arent free agents

49 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Would have been content if Stecher's new deal was similar to Hutton's. To get him for about $450K per year cheaper is a bonus.

guess he is less valuable then hutton?

not really sure why saving 450k is any bonus given the nucks have oodles of cap room during the next 2 years

perhaps he is first on the trade block now ?

what about all those trade restriction clauses though

:P

ok, just joking.. we all know hutton is over paid

7 minutes ago, thepress83 said:

Great contract for both sides I think, I can't wait to see Stecher take another step this year.

Stecher, along with Hutton and Pouliot could make huge strides this year if they're doing what needs to done in the off season.  If it all pans out for them we could have a treasure trove of defensemen who have 'figured it out' that could prove valuable to any aspirations of making the playoffs or as an asset at the trade deadline.

There's a lot of uncertainty heading into this season with not only our younger defensemen, but our fringe forwards as well which is what makes it all so exciting.  Let's drop the puck already!

Archived