The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Troy Stecher

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Funny how Benning is very good at signing players at good rates who we already have but damn does he overpay in free agency

Literally how FA works, highest bidder wins, highest bidder usually significantly overpays. 

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Funny how Benning is very good at signing players at good rates who we already have but damn does he overpay in free agency

Isn’t overpaying normal league wide in free agency? Last I checked, “cellar dwellers” are not usually desirable for free agents, making bottom feeders pay even more. JB is not the only GM to “overpay” or make a mistake. There is an entire NHL full of teams that are the reason Free Agency is called “The Silly Season”.

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'd give him this year to see if he can bounce back. The way he's working out this off season I think he's on the right track. 

I'm a strong believer in keeping Hutton around as well. Not gonna receive much if anything if we trade him. Might as well see what we got for another year.

Worst case Ontario, he has another year like last and we let him walk.

Best case he resurrects his career and becomes the Hutton we all thought we'd see after his first year. Still young. I think it's a no brainer to hang onto him.

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Awesome. Our hardest competing Dman. Hope he can find his offensive game again next season.

He gets Edler PP minutes he puts up way better numbers, he's far more crafty on offense then Edler, better puck control, gets his shot through, faster to get back if he makes mistakes too, maybe I'm in the minority but makes no sense to me to have Edler in over him on the powerplay other then maybe the Sedins prefer Edler. If Hughes doesn't sign Stecher should be given a good look on the powerplay, not sure Green feels the same though he probably has Pouliot ahead of him in those situations.

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Doesn't every GM overpay in free agency?

That's why ou don't build a team that way.

49 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Literally how FA works, highest bidder wins, highest bidder usually significantly overpays. 

It seems the bargain signings come on day 3 and on. July 1 teams usually always over pay and in most cases the deals turn out bad with in a couple years.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It seems the bargain signings come on day 3 and on. July 1 teams usually always over pay and in most cases the deals turn out bad with in a couple years.

James Neal perfect example will look good in year 1-2 after that could be acrippling contract. 

Or even worse Lucic/Eriksson haven't panned out at all. 

14 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

As per usual, HF thinks this move is a ridiculous overpayment.

Any excuse to have a moan about Benning.

Just people who don't understand how contracts are negotiated.

Stecher played regularly with Edler last season and didn't look out of place. He's proving to be a very serviceable top 4 D-man. That costs more than league minimum.

Troy Stetcher, the Alexander Burrows of defense, nobody should piss and moan about this contract, if the rest of the guys played this big other teams wouldn't look forward to playing against us.  Hope he solidifies himself as part of the next core before this contract is up.

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Troy Stetcher, the Alexander Burrows of defense, nobody should piss and moan about this contract, if the rest of the guys played this big other teams wouldn't look forward to playing against us.  Hope he solidifies himself as part of the next core before this contract is up.

How can anyone not feel good for this guy?

Local kid who went undrafted and then went on to work his butt off in college. Was a key piece in North Dakota winning their first championship in 15 years. Then signs with his hometown Canucks and continues to work his butt off and prove he belongs.

Really like the way he plays.  Uses the tools he has well.  Lots of problems with the D but he is not one of them.

Hopefully his offensive numbers come back up but even last year when he struggled to put up points he still had a lot of value in the way he gets and moves the puck up quickly and accurately.

Archived