The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Troy Stecher

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Cool story but he's better than the #6 on the "Stanley Cup favorites".

I can't wait to see what Beagle, Sutter, Loui and Stecher do on the PK together. Maybe people will see the value then. 

Now that we have a log jam on defence and we have the same defence we had last year, which really doesn't impress me at all. Who do you think will get traded? . I'm thinking maybe mdz is going to be traded imo What are other peoples thoughts on this? 

41 minutes ago, clayduran said:

Now that we have a log jam on defence and we have the same defence we had last year, which really doesn't impress me at all. Who do you think will get traded? . I'm thinking maybe mdz is going to be traded imo What are other peoples thoughts on this? 

I could see him and Gagner being packaged together.

Rumors have Gagner linked to Chicago.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't wait to see what Beagle, Sutter, Loui and Stecher do on the PK together. Maybe people will see the value then. 

Honestly I’m really confused here.  When I see those names, offence doesn’t remotely enter my mind based on the last couple years.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I could see him and Gagner being packaged together.

Rumors have Gagner linked to Chicago.

I also remember last season at the trade dead line Chicago was kicking tires on Del Zotto. I could definitely see a package there. I haven't heard rumours about Gagne and Chicago. But it does make sense. I wonder what we could garnish from that trade? Maybe a 2nd and a 3rd?

I think he has alot of potential, but he needs the confidence. If we still have him when Quinn Hughes makes the team (hopefully in a better situation than our defense is in now), I think we will start to see him skate with the puck more and carry it into the offensive zone. That's what I'm most excited for.

When you have a guy like Quinn Hughes who is extremely confident skating with the puck, it backs off the other team's defense. That feel becomes infectious. I can see Troy Stetcher starting to see those openings too and will start taking them. Just like Bieksa used to do for the Canucks when Ehrhoff played his best years here. Ehrhoff was confident skating with the puck, it backed off defenders and then all of a sudden Bieksa did it. I think I even remember Edler doing an end to end rush against Columbus one time and scoring.

Point being, if we still have him by the time Quinn Hughes gets here playing, Stetch is going to get a whole lot better!!!

On 7/21/2018 at 2:31 AM, cripplereh said:

ok signing but on any other team he would be the 8th D man or so,

shows how bad we need a couple more D men!

While I certainly agree with the second point, our D needs a shakeup, Troy isn't the issue.  

Even with his  struggles on offense last year there is a reasonable argument that he is our #3 Defenceman.  Who was better last year; Edler, Tanev and ???  Hutton worked his way out of the lineup in favour of Pouliot who was an adventure on both ends.  MDZ was MDZ was consistent with providing what he provides but was played too much.  Gudbranson punches people in the face but really struggles to move the puck and his feet.  Sautner played better than expected in limited role and Biega was Biega.

On a good team he is probably a 4-5 level D.  A good puck mover with some offense than can slide up onto top two pairs if needed.  If he brings his O back up to where it looked like it was going in his rookie year then he is a second pairing player.

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

While I certainly agree with the second point, our D needs a shakeup, Troy isn't the issue.  

Even with his  struggles on offense last year there is a reasonable argument that he is our #3 Defenceman.  Who was better last year; Edler, Tanev and ???  Hutton worked his way out of the lineup in favour of Pouliot who was an adventure on both ends.  MDZ was MDZ was consistent with providing what he provides but was played too much.  Gudbranson punches people in the face but really struggles to move the puck and his feet.  Sautner played better than expected in limited role and Biega was Biega.

On a good team he is probably a 4-5 level D.  A good puck mover with some offense than can slide up onto top two pairs if needed.  If he brings his O back up to where it looked like it was going in his rookie year then he is a second pairing player.

I can see why you place Stecher at #3 but that is on a pretty weak d-core. What he showed last year was continued progress. IMHO Stecher cannot stay in the NHL without a offensive upside better than he has shown to date. He has great skating and ice vision that allows superior passing. My hope is that as the forwards develop they can use Stecher's skills more productively. All this said I can also see the possibility of Stecher being passed in the depth pool is he flat lines.  He does have a couple of years to prove himself. He is a tough guy.   

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I can see why you place Stecher at #3 but that is on a pretty weak d-core. What he showed last year was continued progress. IMHO Stecher cannot stay in the NHL without a offensive upside better than he has shown to date. He has great skating and ice vision that allows superior passing. My hope is that as the forwards develop they can use Stecher's skills more productively. All this said I can also see the possibility of Stecher being passed in the depth pool is he flat lines.  He does have a couple of years to prove himself. He is a tough guy.   

Wow, if you think Stecher can't stay in the league unless he produces more offensively, you must LOVE Gudbranson. :)  I think Stecher will surprise you this year, and going into the future.  He's the kind of guy you want in your d-core, and hopefully by the time we are competitive, he'll be a solid #4/5 guy with Juolevi and Hughes ahead of him on the chart.   The work ethic alone that he brings, and the way he kind of plays fearlessly with good edges, solid play reading skills, and the ability to make that first pass confidently is a great thing for the other guys to work towards.

On 7/21/2018 at 1:33 PM, grandmaster said:

I don’t know what to make of this. Our defence is full up and the same as last year with no spot for Hughes. Somebody needs to go. The Canuck defence was terrible last season and we are keeping everyone. I hope JB makes some moves here. This is worrisome.

Maybe I can piece it together for you...

Hockey, Sports

Canucks have the most difficult schedule in the league next season

D65ee5c0c621138e6583683efa1bd7fe?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Rob Williams Jul 11, 2018 5:07 pm 4,961

As if they needed more bad news.

Vancouver may have the toughest schedule in the entire NHL next season, and not just because they’re the only team that doesn’t get to play the Canucks.

The Canucks are rebuilding, and without the recently retired Henrik and Daniel Sedin in the lineup, wins are expected to be in short supply.

But it’s even worse than you think.

The graph below illustrates the number of games played next season between tired and rested teams. A “tired” team is defined as one that played the night before, while a “rested” team is one that did not play the night before.

The Canucks get the benefit of playing a tired team while rested just three times – fewest in the NHL. Conversely, Vancouver will be tired while playing a rested team on 11 occasions – second-most in the league.

No team in the NHL has a worse discrepancy than the Canucks, which seems like a cruel joke because this is a team that will need all the help they can get.

Due to its geography, Vancouver famously always has a brutal travel schedule. No team spends more time on airplanes than the Canucks – something that improved slightly with Vegas’ entry into the league. If Seattle gets an expansion team, as expected, that will help some more.

But geography doesn’t seem to play into this graph.

The -8 discrepancy is by far the worst in the league, with New Jersey (-4) the next closest. The Devils have traditionally one of the league’s easiest travel schedules.

Curiously, the Edmonton Oilers – a team that travels almost as much as the Canucks – are the biggest beneficiary (+10), playing tired teams while rested 18 times, while playing rested teams while tired just eight times.

Canucks to host 2019 NHL Draft

...the 2019 NHL Draft will help the Canucks launch their 50th season

by Canucks Media Relations @Canucks / Vancouver Canucks
February 28th, 2018

cut.jpg

VANCOUVER (Feb. 28, 2018) - The Vancouver Canucks will host the 2019 NHL Draft at Rogers Arena, the National Hockey League, Canucks and City of Vancouver announced today.

The 2019 NHL Draft will help the Canucks launch their 50th season in the NHL in 2019-20, which will include other special events to commemorate their historic milestone. Vancouver also will play host to the 2019 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships, where some of the top draft-eligible prospects will get a chance to play in Rogers Arena, where they hope to hear their name called on stage in June of 2019.    

The 2019 NHL Draft will be held over two days - Friday, June 21 (Round 1) and Saturday, June 22 (Rounds 2-7). NHL club executives, scouts and coaches will be present on the NHL Draft floor while thousands of fans and hundreds of media are expected to attend. 

cut.jpeg

Canucks to Host 2019 NHL Draft

• 00:22 • February 28th, 2018

The 2019 event will mark the third time the Canucks and the City of Vancouver will host the NHL Draft, having previously hosted in 1990 at BC Place Stadium and 2006 at General Motors Place, now Rogers Arena. 

"Returning the Draft to Vancouver allows the entire NHL family to meaningfully participate in a highlight of the Canucks' 50-year anniversary celebration," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "The 2019 NHL Draft will provide another memorable moment for the Canucks and their fans while shining the spotlight on one of the world's most scenic cities and serving as the starting point for so many NHL careers." 

"Vancouver will be centre stage in 2019 for hockey's brightest future stars," said Francesco Aquilini, Vancouver Canucks Chairman and Governor. "With the World Junior Hockey Championships, the NHL Entry Draft and the launch of Vancouver's 50th season in the NHL, it will be a very exciting time for hockey fans in British Columbia. It is our honour to welcome the hockey world back to the West Coast in 2019."  

"Congratulations to our home team, the Vancouver Canucks, on being selected to host the 2019 NHL Draft, one of the most highly anticipated events in hockey", said Mayor Gregor Robertson. "The City of Vancouver looks forward to welcoming athletes and their families, international media and representatives from nearly every league worldwide to our city for this exciting event and to cheer on many young players as they start their careers."   

cut.jpeg

NEWS | Canucks Announce '19 Draft

• 09:32 • February 28th, 2018

The NHL Draft offers the opportunity for hockey fans to witness the beginning of the careers of the latest NHL stars. Recent No. 1 overall picks include Alex Ovechkin (Washington, 2004), Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh, 2005), Erik Johnson (St. Louis, 2006), Patrick Kane (Chicago, 2007), Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay, 2008), John Tavares (NY Islanders, 2009), Taylor Hall (Edmonton, 2010), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edmonton, 2011), Nail Yakupov (Edmonton, 2012), Nathan MacKinnon (Colorado, 2013), Aaron Ekblad (Florida, 2014), Connor McDavid (Edmonton, 2015), Auston Matthews (Toronto, 2016) and Nico Hischier (New Jersey, 2017).  

Additional details about the 2019 NHL Draft will be announced at a later date. For historical information and past draft selections, visit www.nhl.com/draft. NHL Network and NHL.com will provide extensive coverage live from the event leading up to and after the 2019 NHL Draft. NHL Social will have exclusive coverage on all social platforms, and those looking to join the conversation can use the official hashtag #NHLDraft.

Hope that helps :)

On 7/22/2018 at 9:26 AM, Solinar said:

Wow, if you think Stecher can't stay in the league unless he produces more offensively, you must LOVE Gudbranson. :)  

While I'm not the greatest fan of Guds but when he's actually in the lineup, other team players are less likely to take liberties on the ice.  Way, way, way different roles on the ice.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:33 AM, grandmaster said:

I don’t know what to make of this. Our defence is full up and the same as last year with no spot for Hughes. Somebody needs to go. The Canuck defence was terrible last season and we are keeping everyone. I hope JB makes some moves here. This is worrisome.

Keeping everyone going into training camp*

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

While I'm not the greatest fan of Guds but when he's actually in the lineup, other team players are less likely to take liberties on the ice.  Way, way, way different roles on the ice.

The role of the defender on the ice is to limit chances in your own end, and help push the play the other way.   And you can do that as well as put up points.  Del Zotto, Biega, and I think Stecher were ahead of Gudbranson in points, in corsi, and in hits.  But you're right, him throwing a big hit that's noticeable every now and again and then being cratered statistically is worth 4 million, whereas Stecher, whom drives play in the right direction, does put up points, should be questioned about his ability to play in the NHL.

Archived