The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many years are the Vancouver Canucks away from being Contenders in the NHL?

Zigmund.Palffy

How many years till the Canucks are Contenders in the NHL?  

227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So me and my boys were discussing how many years would the canucks take to become TOP DOGS in the NHL , some of us says we are 2 years away , some say 4.. some say 5.

Like everyone knows, with the plethora of bluechip prospects in the organization, we are very close to becoming a team that will be tough to play against every night...

What do you guys think ? 

Even if we get Jack Hughes, I'd expect us to be 2-3 years away still.

Edmonton + Toronto both missed playoffs after they won the lottery. On the flip, we've got an elite goalie prospect and a dynamic two way defenseman on top of our offensive talent, so maybe we do better sooner.

So I say 4. Could be sooner.

With luck....probably 4+ years to be a legit contender (ie: not just make the playoffs but actually be favoured to go deep, and then actually do so).

That said, I think we're going to be a lot more fun to watch as soon as this year (though likely still finish ~ the bottom 3rd, depending on injuries). Perhaps even a bubble playoff team (see: COL this past season) as soon as next year. Assuming guys like Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi, Demko etc stay on track anyway.

Is it an option to say that I don't really care how many years so long as things are done correctly? Look at teams like Winnipeg where all it took were the right pieces to fall into place in the last year or two. Look at Toronto where some magical princess accidently blew too much fairy dust on them and now they are crazy lucky.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Is it an option to say that I don't really care how many years so long as things are done correctly? Look at teams like Winnipeg where all it took were the right pieces to fall into place in the last year or two. Look at Toronto where some magical princess accidently blew too much fairy dust on them and now they are crazy lucky.

TBH Maplelaffs got soooooooooo lucky..

I would say 3 years - 2021/2022 season.

If we do somehow get Jack hughes or another top end talent in this years draft, the 21/22 season would likely be the last year of his ELC.

I could see it being a year where we try to maximize on this and push for a cup:

(Hypothetical):

(Big FA signing or trade) - Hughes - Boeser

Dahlen – Petterson – Lind?

Virtanen - Horvat – Gadjocich

? - Gaudette - ?
(Liepsic, Jasek, Palmu, Madden)

Hughes - Tanev
Joulevi - Woo 
Tryamkin - Stecher 
Breisbois

Demko

DiPietro

I went 4.

Figured this year we will be awful, Petterson will be a solid rookie maybe a Calder candidate, Brock will score 40, Bo will continue to improve and we will still be at the bottom of the league because we don't have enough scoring, questionable goaltending and a D that plays like the dog's breakfast.

Next couple years we start to bring in Hughes, Hughes, OJ, some of our young wingers and more importantly Demko.  

Bubble team in 2020, contender starting at about 4.

It depends on how quickly Demko can become a starter (and maybe a star). Demko to me is a big piece of our future success and once he starts playing well for us, we'll start making the playoffs.

This year (18-19) they will surprise!... They will squeak into the playoffs 8th spot.  Go to seven games, but loose in first round.  Next year (19-20) they pick up where they left off and make playoffs again.  This time they surprise by going deep.  They make it to the conference final but loose in 5.  Year 3 (20-21) they are no longer considered upstarts and now considered contenders!  Hopefully ready to win the cup!

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It depends on how quickly Demko can become a starter (and maybe a star). Demko to me is a big piece of our future success and once he starts playing well for us, we'll start making the playoffs.

I agree Demko is the biggest piece in order for this team to become serious contenders.

As a fan I am not so optimistic. I really like the way the Canucks have drafted and developed players over the last few years however other teams have as well. While I hope they are back in the playoff race in a couple of years I just don't see them contending without a steady infusion of elite first round players. 

I think just 2.

Pettersson in his 3rd year will be a stud

Boeser should be a 40G scorer

Horvat will be better

Virtanen will surprise many and be the guy we thought we drafted.

Demko will be coming into his own.

Hughes, Juolevi, and Tryamkin will be making a huge contribution on our backend

I think we make the playoffs in 2019-2020, and become serious contenders in 2020-2021

Archived