The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Green & Jim Benning Interview on SN650

Qwags

Saw this post on the Canuck subreddit, and wanted to share. I feel this answers a lot of questions, and settles things.

Benning: "It's been a tough couple of days... Trevor has meant a lot to many in the org. He was the one who hired Benning and showed faith in him."

Green: "It was great working with Trevor, big into communication, Green and Linden used to talk every morning about the state of the team."

Benning: Doesn't fully know the reasons why Linden is leaving, says it isn't his place to say. Says he never noticed any ideological or philosophical disagreements between himself and Trev or the ownership and Trev

Benning emphasizing that "the plan hasn't changed. Still going to draft and develop young skilled talent and bring them into the lineup when they are ready"

Benning thinks that they're in a place now where there are six to eight real good prospects in the organization right now.

Green: When I came in, I knew where we were going and where we are going as a group. That hasn't changed. Haven't won as much as we wanted to but knows there is excitement in where the team is going. Thinks that the players that have been drafted are players that fans can be proud of and that the team can win long-term with."

Benning on role change: "I don't know if much changes. Have a lot of strong people in the organization that can step up and fill the void left by Linden. Guys like Ryan Johnson in Utica, Brett Henning in pro scouting, Judd Brackett in amateur scouting, Jeff Stipec and TC Carling on the business side of things. Stan Smyl can pick up some of Trevor duties as well."

No timeline for Benning in president role. Benning will now have full reign of hockey and personnel decisions

On how close the team is to competing for a playoff spot, Green: "Not an easy question to answer. We have expectations to improve, each player last year was told at the end of the year individually what they needed to do to come back and be a part of the solution. We have a lot of young guys who will be pushing for spots and that will definitely be on the team next year. You don't just take one big leap and make the playoffs and we know we still need to improve. I'm not going to say we're not going to be in the playoffs and we're definitely going to be pushing for that but we know that there are certain steps we need to take to get there and it starts with our consistency and our young guys continuing to improve and we're going to push to do that."

Benning: "The players we signed this summer were brought in to support our young players and help them be successful NHLers. We've got some young players that we feel are going to come in and push for jobs and the new guys we feel can help them, whether it's in practice or just showing them what they need to do on the daily basis to become NHL players. And make no mistake, if young players come in and prove that they deserve to be on this time, I will make room for them, I will move out other players whether through trades or sending them to the minors, but we will make room for them.

Benning to talk to Hughes' agent tomorrow morning. Not sure when a final decision will be made regarding where he will play

Green on Hughes: "Excited to see Hughes at the pro level. The type of defenseman we've been looking for and will help boilster the blueline along with Juolevi. When I saw him at development camp he was exactly the type of player I thought he would be, great skater with good vision. It's not a matter of if he will make it but when and as an organization we are excited in what we see in Quinn Hughes."

Benning on the logjam: "If there are some moves to be made this summer to improve the team we will do that, but we like the competitive camp that we will have with these extra players. All the players know that there are extra bodies at camp this year and we like the internal competition in camp and I am excited about the competition at camp"

Benning on Virtanen: "He's a rare type of player in today's NHL, a big body who can skate. He fits today's game. We think he's a powerfoward, he can move and he can shoot and can go to the net. I'm expecting him to take the next step though. I was talking to him the other day and was saying that we expect him to grab the bull by the horns at camp and really take the next step and be a good player for us this year."

Green on Virtanen and competiton: "We saw it in spurts last year, there were some games that he was phenomenal last year. That consistency starts in the summer and with his conditioning and making sure he's in the best shape possible. He's still a young guy and I think with powerforwards it can take longer. Maybe it's a bit of confidence and a bit of just getting better and more consistent in your habits and in practice and just as a whole. Having more good games is important and is part of maturing as a player, we need that out of Jake and out of our whole group. If we want to start to progress we need to push our guys to be better players. We have young guys that are going to come in and push guys out of spots, you know you look at the list and say there are 14 players but I see a lot more than that, I think there are a lot more than 14 forwards that are vying for you know 13 to 14 spots and that's going to open up competition, but there are a lot more than 14 in my mind that have a chance to make the team."

Benning on filling the Sedin void: "It''s going to come down to our young players, Brock and Bo were good last year, I think Bo could score 30. But it's the Goldobins and the Leipsics, Sven Baertschi, we gotta see where Pettersson is at camp and Gaudette is at camp because they're both skilled players."

On possibly losing players on waivers: I don't worry about that, let's just get to camp and worry about that then.

Not exact quotes, a lot of paraphrasing was used but I hope this gives a good idea of what the interview was all about

Thanks for posting this, I really appreciate it! I for one am not the least bit concerned with Linden leaving, I think Benning is doing an excellent job and he's got a quality support staff around him. Green I have even fuller confidence in. It's great to hear them talk about the current state of the team, the willingness to waive players, etc.

Thanks so much for summarizing this!  It's Benning's first post-Trevor interview, so he is absolutely giving the party line on this, and in doing so they key points are this:

7 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Benning emphasizing that "the plan hasn't changed. Still going to draft and develop young skilled talent and bring them into the lineup when they are ready"

No timeline for Benning in president role. Benning will now have full reign of hockey and personnel decisions

Benning: "The players we signed this summer were brought in to support our young players and help them be successful NHLers. We've got some young players that we feel are going to come in and push for jobs and the new guys we feel can help them, whether it's in practice or just showing them what they need to do on the daily basis to become NHL players. And make no mistake, if young players come in and prove that they deserve to be on this time, I will make room for them, I will move out other players whether through trades or sending them to the minors, but we will make room for them.

Benning to talk to Hughes' agent tomorrow morning. Not sure when a final decision will be made regarding where he will play

Green on Hughes: "Excited to see Hughes at the pro level. The type of defenseman we've been looking for and will help boilster the blueline along with Juolevi.

Green on Virtanen and competiton: "We have young guys that are going to come in and push guys out of spots, you know you look at the list and say there are 14 players but I see a lot more than that, I think there are a lot more than 14 forwards that are vying for you know 13 to 14 spots and that's going to open up competition, but there are a lot more than 14 in my mind that have a chance to make the team."

On possibly losing players on waivers: I don't worry about that, let's just get to camp and worry about that then.

1. Benning and ownership are agreed on the plan -- get the youth into the lineup, and sooner than later.

2. Kids WILL get spots of they earn them.  Vets will vacate, whether in trade or even on waivers to the minors.

3. Odds of Quinn Hughes signing are reaching levels of near-certainty.

As I said in the Lombardi thread, I believe it was Trevor who was applying the brakes, refusing any potential move of players like the Sedins or Edler.  Those brakes are now off, and Benning has been given FULL REIGN by ownership and will now get this baby rolling.  All good news here for Canuck fans, imo.

On losing players... "I don't worry about that."

That's one JB answer I just don't like. Pkg a few extras, trade them for a big, expiring contract(+ picks). Don't WASTE assets with waiver-risks.

I don't really care what he "worries" about. It's all about planning ahead, & maximizing the value of every asset that you can(whether retaining a player for two decades, or dealing him young, to recycle/upscale your value, in said asset).

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Agree with absolutely everything they both said, but not a surprise as they are both doing an excellent job shaping the future of the franchise.

The key here again, is that this is now the post-TL era, the consistent message is "the rebuild is pushing forward", and I believe that means accelerating the integration of youth into the lineup.

12 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thanks so much for summarizing this!  It's Benning's first post-Trevor interview, so he is absolutely giving the party line on this, and in doing so they key points are this:

1. Benning and ownership are agreed on the plan -- get the youth into the lineup, and sooner than later.

2. Kids WILL get spots of they earn them.  Vets will vacate, whether in trade or even on waivers to the minors.

3. Odds of Quinn Hughes signing are reaching levels of near-certainty.

As I said in the Lombardi thread, I believe it was Trevor who was applying the brakes, refusing any potential move of players like the Sedins or Edler.  Those brakes are now off, and Benning has been given FULL REIGN by ownership and will now get this baby rolling.  All good news here for Canuck fans, imo.

My thoughts exactly, but the difference between you and I is that you have an exceptional way of articulating these sorts of things. 100% agreed with you here.

I think Hughes signs for sure.

Exciting times ahead!!!!!

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

That's one JB answer I just don't like. Pkg a few extras, trade them for a big, expiring contract(+ picks). Don't WASTE assets with waiver-risks.

I don't really care what he "worries" about. It's all about planning ahead, & maximizing the value of every asset that you can(whether retaining a player for two decades, or dealing him young, to recycle/upscale your value, in said asset).

But he's talking about fringe guys or veterans that don't show up ready. Losing them to a young player who shows up ready to play isn't a problem. 

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

The key here again, is that this is now the post-TL era, the consistent message is "the rebuild is pushing forward", and I believe that means accelerating the integration of youth into the lineup.

I love the internal competition.  We'll have tons of guys work real hard in the offseason to make sure they come to camp ready to get a spot.  No gifted roster spots this year.

So if you cannot get anything in trade for a Hutton, you send a kid back to junior or the AHL, even though he's proven to be the better player?

The way the NHL works now, you can simply get players in free agency (i.e. for nothing) to fill holes.  The likes of Eriksson, MDZ, Beagle, Schaller, Gagner, Rousel, etc. cost us NOTHING in assets.  When you need to make a move, like happened with Corrado, if their value is not enough to even get a pick in return, you simply cut bait.  The team has to move forward.

he said he wants the competition at camp. he said he isn't worried if he has to move or wave guys. he is saying, if he has to move a vet or two he won't hesitate.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But he's talking about fringe guys or veterans that don't show up ready. Losing them to a young player who shows up ready to play isn't a problem. 

Thanks JM, in truth I didn't listen(to interview/context)..I'm also naturally crabby from summer-sauna! :^/

3 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

My thoughts exactly, but the difference between you and I is that you have an exceptional way of articulating these sorts of things. 100% agreed with you here.

I think Hughes signs for sure.

Exciting times ahead!!!!!

Thanks, m8.  I love Trevor as much as anyone, but the signs today are all positive because clearly ownership is full-steam ahead with the plan -- the plan we all want.

Most definitely exciting, as we are going to see the kids coming in even faster now, and any of the vets that can't keep up (including the youngish placeholders) will be rightly dispatched.

32 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Benning on filling the Sedin void: "It''s going to come down to our young players, Brock and Bo were good last year, I think Bo could score 30. But it's the Goldobins and the Leipsics, Sven Baertschi, we gotta see where Pettersson is at camp and Gaudette is at camp because they're both skilled players."

Sounds like our potential top 6 for the season.

Just now, Qwags said:

Sounds like our potential top 6 for the season.

They're going to be given every opportunity by the sounds of it.  Benning keeps saying that the keys to the offense have been given to the kids.  Will be fun to see what they can do.  Might be a track meet or train wreck some nights, but certainly beats slow boring hockey!

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So if you cannot get anything in trade for a Hutton, you send a kid back to junior or the AHL, even though he's proven to be the better player?

The way the NHL works now, you can simply get players in free agency (i.e. for nothing) to fill holes.  The likes of Eriksson, MDZ, Beagle, Schaller, Gagner, Rousel, etc. cost us NOTHING in assets.  When you need to make a move, like happened with Corrado, if their value is not enough to even get a pick in return, you simply cut bait.  The team has to move forward.

Yeah..you're prob right, HW. Being raised in the 70's, was an unwitting-victim of the 3 R's(reduce, reuse, recycle)..a wise fellow taught me Gov'ts ditched that concept, as it wasn't profitable.

So here I am armchair-GMing with outdated notions!

Archived