The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign Tom Wilson

If you are measuring Tom Wilson's value in just points, then you aren't paying attention.

The guy was a destroyer of worlds this postseason. He totally flipped the script against the Penguins, and got in their heads instead of vice versa. And he's young, so they have him through his prime. 

44 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

:huh:.

Isn't his career high 35 points? 

yeah, but he brings a ton of fear factor, can play 1st 2nd or 3rd line roles, paying for his prime years.... its medium risk high reward imo. 

30 minutes ago, Monty said:

Only 24 years old, so they’re paying for his continued increase in point production, as well as difficulty to play against.

Absolutely accurate assessment.  The guy was very key to their playoff success, and Cup win.  He is a tough nut, who can actually play top six minutes, and with the elite skill guys.  This is exactly how we need Virtanen to play, and if he does, he gets similar dollars when he’s 24.  

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If you are measuring Tom Wilson's value in just points, then you aren't paying attention.

The guy was a destroyer of worlds this postseason. He totally flipped the script against the Penguins, and got in their heads instead of vice versa. And he's young, so they have him through his prime. 

He’s like Ferland.  Look what that one player did to us I need the 2014 playoffs!  Guys like this can make a huge difference in games, and in a playoff series.  I wonder how Wilson and Ferland will match up now?  

LOL at people thinking they know better than NHL GMs.

Hrr only 30pts... what is he good for.. 

Willy is a force!!! We should be ecstatic if JV touches his echelon. Yes, I'd love Willy at this term and hit.

Still snickering at wannabe GMs

1 minute ago, Western Red said:

LOL at people thinking they know better than NHL GMs.

Hrr only 30pts... what is he good for.. 

Willy is a force!!! We should be ecstatic if JV touches his echelon. Yes, I'd love Willy at this term and hit.

Still snickering at wannabe GMs

I dunno, even a lot of the Washington fans I've seen online think it's ridiculous. They're not too upset because Wilson is well loved there, but they're confused at the money.

He's definitely a force when he's not playing dirty, though.

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

I dunno, even a lot of the Washington fans I've seen online think it's ridiculous. They're not too upset because Wilson is well loved there, but they're confused at the money.

He's definitely a force when he's not playing dirty, though.

Think of it this way, he's around 4-6% of the teams cap hit for bringing what he does. Point well taken on the dirty stuff. More money doesn't preclude him from being a asshat.

It's a big investment and a little more that many thought, but I'd do it after the playoff he had and the type of guy he is. 

Looks like Washington will be a force for years to come.

Only slightly more than I expected: I spitballed $4.5M x 5yrs when talking to my friends in the US.  They're not paying him just for his toughness; he's already a first-unit PKer on top of creating space for OV and Kuznetsov on their first line, so he's got a pretty complete game so far.  Add to that, Caps coaches/management think he still has more offensive upside left.

I love players like Tom Wilson.  I wish Jake Virtanen, Jonah Gadjovich, Zach MacEwan and Brendan Gaunce would become players like Wilson.  Big, mean, skilled, playing on the edge.  You need a gang of these players on your roster to make life better for the uber-skilled players like Boeser, Pettersson and the likes.  Players like Wilson makes everyone play like they are six inches taller and 50 pounds heavier.  Courage and craziness is contagious.

5 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I love players like Tom Wilson.  I wish Jake Virtanen, Jonah Gadjovich, Zach MacEwan and Brendan Gaunce would become players like Wilson.  Big, mean, skilled, playing on the edge.  You need a gang of these players on your roster to make life better for the uber-skilled players like Boeser, Pettersson and the likes.  Players like Wilson makes everyone play like they are six inches taller and 50 pounds heavier.  Courage and craziness is contagious.

Not sure if you need a whole gang, but one or two is nice. He's the modern day enforcer. Big, fast, can fight but most importantly can play hockey. 

Archived