The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign Tom Wilson

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

He's an absolute  beast. Nothing wrong with the contract. paid to murder guys, and there aren't too many effective guys, like Tom Wilson, at that age who can play that role and contribute all around. Don't say Jake virtanen is that guy or I'll slap you.

Well, I'm glad you're not in the running for Linden's job.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

If you are measuring Tom Wilson's value in just points, then you aren't paying attention.

The guy was a destroyer of worlds this postseason. He totally flipped the script against the Penguins, and got in their heads instead of vice versa. And he's young, so they have him through his prime. 

He sure did a lot from the press box that series.

Caps get their1st line powerforward who impacts the game in many ways.. 

Caps get him for the prime of his career. Hes 24 and will be 30 when contract expires.. 

I like this deal as a Caps fan.  He's coming into his own after many years of development. 

If Virtanen could ever take his game to Wilson's level it would be a huge success.. 

Good job to get him locked up thru out his prime years. Guys a beauty. 

1 hour ago, mpt said:

He’s not Marchand, wow without Ovie the guy creates nothing.  Sure he hits, but that is a terrible contract

He opens up the ice for OV and Kuzie on the 1st line. 

Keeps the opposing team honest and is legit top tier power forward. Huge role in Caps Cup win. 

1st unit PK. 

All but 2 of his points came on even strength. 

Good deal and term when you factor in his age and his development curve along with everything he brings as a team mate. 

Would love Virtanen to get close to Wilson level one day.  

I understand what Wilson can bring to a team, but this deal is absolutely insane. I'd give him $4M for 3 years maybe, but this deal is a hot target for a future buyout given the amount and term. 

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Could see them moving on from names like Backstrom & Burakovsky, over the coming 12~18 mos(freeing up 10 mill cap).

Curious that AO only has three more yrs. That Cup win was just in time for them. They can swap some big names into a next wave of youth, having no LT commitments.

Had we won in 2011, probably the following lineup choices would've been a similar pattern.

Move on from Backstrom ? The guy is top 3 two way Centers in the world at 6.7 mill per for 2 more years.  He's not going anywhere. No GM would trade him away. 

Kuzie Backstrom Eller down the middle is reason Caps won the Cup. Best C depth in league, only Leafs can compare going into next seasin with Tavares Matthews Kadri.  Leafs pbbly have edge next season. 

Eller is signed to a great contract as well at 3.5 per for 5 years.  . Kuzie makes 7.8 long term and he's a perennial top 5 Art Ross candidate for next several years. 

Bura is only 23. He's RFA next summer. Not going anywhere. He's going to break out next cpl years.  Huge skill but struggles with confidence sometimes.  He's  only 23. So lots of time to grow as a player. 

Caps have chance to win 1 or 2 more Cups with this team. 

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Move on from Backstrom ? The guy is top 3 two way Centers in the world at 6.7 mill per for 2 more years.  He's not going anywhere. No GM would trade him away. 

Kuzie Backstrom Eller down the middle is reason Caps won the Cup. Best C depth in league, only Leafs can compare going into next seasin with Tavares Matthews Kadri.  Leafs pbbly have edge next season. 

Eller is signed to a great contract as well at 3.5 per for 5 years.  . Kuzie makes 7.8 long term and he's a perennial top 5 Art Ross candidate for next several years. 

Bura is only 23. He's RFA next summer. Not going anywhere. He's going to break out next cpl years.  Huge skill but struggles with confidence sometimes.  He's  only 23. So lots of time to grow as a player. 

Caps have chance to win 1 or 2 more Cups with this team. 

Still think they'll be an interesting study. Holtby, Kuz, Wilson & Carlson are young enough that they can build the next wave around that younger core.

LT, I wonder if AO & NB will play out full-length careers in Trumpville?

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

He opens up the ice for OV and Kuzie on the 1st line. 

Keeps the opposing team honest and is legit top tier power forward. Huge role in Caps Cup win. 

1st unit PK. 

All but 2 of his points came on even strength. 

Good deal and term when you factor in his age and his development curve along with everything he brings as a team mate. 

Would love Virtanen to get close to Wilson level one day.  

People who don't see Wilson's value clearly haven't seen him play beyond this year's playoffs.

I agree somewhat with the comparison between Wilson and Virtanen's potential, but I don't think Virtanen will ever have the natural aggressiveness or fighting instinct that Wilson has (arguably, that could be seen as a positive in terms of discipline).  That said, Virtanen already does bring other things to the table that Wilson can't and Virtanen's offensive ceiling is probably higher.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So...still think Benning is lousy on contract negotiations? 

No doubt about it. 

Orlov at 5.1 long term for prime years  , top pair shut down guy in Kempny (ufa) at 2.5 for prime years, (Kempny is pretty much a Tanev) Lars Eller at 3.5 long term..repeat 3.5 ..... Kuzie at 7.8 for prime of his career... top tier perennial Art Ross candidate 1C at 7.8 per.  

Are you kidding.  Those are some of the best contracts in the league.  

Ericsson at 6 mill long term.  Beagle will be 34 in October he gets  4 years  and is a 4th liner . Gagner ? Hutton makes same as Kempny. A guy who can't Crack lineup on canucks vs 1st pair Dman on Cup winning team. And the guy on Cup winning team was Ufa. 

How about smith pelly vs Virtanen signing.   1 mill for Smithpelly.... 1 mill... and the guy is 26 .. that's his prime year after the playoffs performance he just had..... 

No one in their right mind would argue JB is a good contract negotiator. It's a joke to even try. 

Some ppl on this board don't wish to get to know facts.  They are will fully blind or have limited hockey knowledge because they only watch Canucks games. 

One person in oarticular continously resorts to making claims that " you are a leafs fan , "you are a Sharks fan"... Oilers fan his favorite. etc etc etc ...that's a losing man's argument.  

I'm glad there is an ignore button  on here. But one way or another they get msg to u...

How about let's leave each other alone when it gets to that level.  I block you.... quit msging me one way or another.  Thank you. Have a great life.  

I'm here for enjoyment.  I love hockey.. the minute I feel like I am here for more than enjoyment or not to discuss hockey I'd be gone..  

If i bother you best thing to do is ignore button.  You'll never read another one of my posts like I don't read urs.  Why this stalking behavior.   Scary kinda... 

50 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

top pair shut down guy in Kempny (ufa) at 2.5 for prime years, (Kempny is pretty much a Tanev)

I was with you until this. He has 100 games under his belt and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. He's a serviceable guy, but he's no Tanev.

12 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

I was with you until this. He has 100 games under his belt and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. He's a serviceable guy, but he's no Tanev.

No bigger fan of Tanev than me on these boards..  

Kempny played top pair in WSH since the trade .... and thru out the playoffs.   

I'm a big Caps fan.. 10 games after he went from CHG to WSH look how his game changed.. 

Watch his game last 10 to 12 games of regular season and all of the playoffs.   

Played with Carlsson.   Kept it clean,   Took care of backend, excellent skater, retrieves the puck, excellent skater , makes that first pass out of the zone like it needs to be made, did I say excellent skater..... 

Both play on  first pair on their respective clubs.. one on bottom feeder one on Cup championship  team. But very similar players.  

IMO best comparison to Tanev than any other top4 Dman in the league right now. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Maybe an overpayment. But show me a hockey player in the NHL that doesn't want this guy on his team. Pay him and make it up on scrubs elsewhere in the lineup. Love him and wish he was a Canuck.

Great close.. 

/thread for me.. back to prospects...

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

No doubt about it. 

Orlov at 5.1 long term for prime years  , top pair shut down guy in Kempny (ufa) at 2.5 for prime years, (Kempny is pretty much a Tanev) Lars Eller at 3.5 long term..repeat 3.5 ..... Kuzie at 7.8 for prime of his career... top tier perennial Art Ross candidate 1C at 7.8 per.  

Are you kidding.  Those are some of the best contracts in the league.  

Ericsson at 6 mill long term.  Beagle will be 34 in October he gets  4 years  and is a 4th liner . Gagner ? Hutton makes same as Kempny. A guy who can't Crack lineup on canucks vs 1st pair Dman on Cup winning team. And the guy on Cup winning team was Ufa. 

No one in their right mind would argue JB is a good contract negotiator. It's a joke to even try. 

First off with this bolded part, lol? Lets let this guy play more than 2 seasons before we say he's on Tanev's level defensively. Being a passenger to Carlson is easier than playing with the revolving door of D-men we have going on.

To be fair those are mostly UFA signings for Benning versus primarily re-signs for Washington. Then you gotta factor in Vancouver is garbage right now. No real defending the Beagle or Eriksson deals but as UFAs they are almost always overpaid. Especially since like I said, we're garbage.

Hutton deal looked pretty solid until his play fell off a cliff. Guess him and Green don't vibe together or something, under Willie D Hutton looked incredibly promising. He has more 20 point seasons than Kempny has 55+ games played seasons. Hell, Hutton has more NHL seasons under his belt than Kempny. But it is true the deal looks pretty bad now. 

Archived