The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

World Junior Summer Showdown

Ajax-

17 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

I am 6'2, 205 and felt small next to him at the draft. He already has a pro players body, but obviously needs to develop his foot speed. His hockey IQ can make up for some of his speed, but ultimately it could be his downfall. I just hope the Coilers did not get the dman they so desperately need.  

I hope he makes the NHL so Virtanen and Roussel can welcome him to the NHL lol. He will have to learn to take contact from guys as fast as in jr or faster who also weight as much or more then him. Jake's speed could really surprise him if he tried to lay a hit on him.

On 31/07/2018 at 6:20 PM, Canuckster86 said:

I think Bouchard will be a good D in the NHL. Just like Virtanen I think Hughes was the risky pick that had the flashy upside.

GM JB has gotten his stamp on the team, within 2-3 years max if these high end picks aren't cutting it he will be fired.

I am hopeful things will pan out with our prospects...we sure need them too!

I give him 1-2 years to get close to a playoff spot. Watch Weisbrod be his replacement lol. I am hoping Jim Benning will have a 20+ year tenure like Ken Holland. I doubt the Francesco wants that tho unless we win multiple cups in a few year span.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think people underestimate what a skill skating actually is.

This!

People think that by just skating more and doing more skating drills it will turn you into a great skater.

This is not the case! it is much more difficult than people make it seem. Yes, Horvat improved on his skating but there are tons of other players who were not successful no matter how much they tried. Also, as previously stated, skating for defencemen in this day and age is crucial! players are getting much faster and when someone is coming at you at a high rate of speed you better be able to keep up (speed and edge work).

20 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

I am 6'2, 205 and felt small next to him at the draft. He already has a pro players body, but obviously needs to develop his foot speed. His hockey IQ can make up for some of his speed, but ultimately it could be his downfall. I just hope the Coilers did not get the dman they so desperately need.  

Bouchard could very well be that guy for Edmonton. He has holes in his game and he will never be the skater that others are... But he has a excellent pass, shot and offensive awareness or when to jump into the play.  His passing is what will give Edmonton a big part of what they need. 

Is he ready to go this season... if Edmonton is smart, give him 9 and send him back to improve his skating.  

I really like Q. Hughes and JB got his guy. We can’t draft all the players and it was deep at defence this year. So Edmonton was bound to get a good player at 10.  

Would I want EB over QH?  Not now. JB got his pick of the crop and picked Hughes with gusto. Not going to argue that.  With picking Woo, Vancouver addressed a lot of its other defensive holes. What JB is prioritizing is skating. This seems to be the priority of most teams now. 

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What's your take on woos skating? I've only seen highlights but he looks a bit choppy. Good intensity though. Which at times Bouchard seems to lack. 

3 minutes ago, austy said:

What's your take on woos skating? I've only seen highlights but he looks a bit choppy. Good intensity though. Which at times Bouchard seems to lack. 

It is what will hold Woo back IF he doesn't make it.   It concerns me - he has ALL the other tools.

14 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Also doesn’t help that people look at Horvat and expect that to be the norm for what kinds of gains a player can make with their skating.

Horvat was more the exception than the rule. First off, he’s an absolute physical phenom and has an extraordinary work ethic. He’s just a special kid with amazing natural physical ability, so the “raw materials” were about the best they can get. And he was starting from a point where he had some significant technical issues and obvious inefficiencies in his skating, most notably his stride length (he started out a short stepper) and his full body power generation (he was mostly legs before), but also tweaking his body position and balance/centre of gravity, improving his edgework, and learning how to really accelerate and burst out of his turns.

Even despite all these issues, Horvat started out a passable skater, at least in terms of just getting around the ice in junior. It’s not like he was ever a slug. He just had a lot of inefficiencies to his skating.

Basically the perfect candidate for significant improvement through technical work.

So through some intensive summer sessions with a top level skating coach (Kathy McLlwain), and continuing to work at it on his own, he was able to develop into an elite NHL skater. It still took several years of hard work for him to get there, even though the mythology of Horvat says that he made all these improvements over a few weeks one summer working with McLlwain.

Here’s a pretty good video that details some the process:

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

1pm game. USA vs SWE

Looking forward to seeing our 2 future stars.  The Hughes brothers.. 

I remain curious how people think anyone will trade Quinn's brother to the Canucks.    I think fantasy concepts are fine but I don't see a realistic option whereby anyone is trading Jack Hughes to Vancouver.    Is the concept that Quinn will convince him to delay his NHL career and then sign with Vancouver as a UFA?

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I remain curious how people think anyone will trade Quinn's brother to the Canucks.    I think fantasy concepts are fine but I don't see a realistic option whereby anyone is trading Jack Hughes to Vancouver.    Is the concept that Quinn will convince him to delay his NHL career and then sign with Vancouver as a UFA?

Did you give up on the Canucks winning next year's draft lottery already? If so, I don't blame you.

Just now, Brad Marchand said:

Did you give up on the Canucks winning next year's draft lottery already? If so, I don't blame you.

Canucks odds next year, if they are in the lottery, will be low but their standing won't allow them to move up that high anyway.   I don't think people are paying attention, media included, to the changes being made in Vancouver and how players like Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen etc. are getting better and will continue to develop.

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Canucks odds next year, if they are in the lottery, will be low but their standing won't allow them to move up that high anyway.   I don't think people are paying attention, media included, to the changes being made in Vancouver and how players like Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen etc. are getting better and will continue to develop.

Thought you would have known from being on CDC for every draft lottery since 2015 that any non-playoff team can win the first overall pick. The odds are long as you said, but it's still technically possible.

19 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The wishful thinking is we win the draft lottery for 1st overall and draft Jack next summer at the draft...

Every team that misses the playoffs has a chance to win the draft lottery. 

18 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Thought you would have known from being on CDC for every draft lottery since 2015 that any non-playoff team can win the first overall pick. The odds are long as you said, but it's still technically possible.

I guess I feel that when you are 5% or less odds of something, planning for it is a tad silly.   Just me I guess.

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The wishful thinking is we win the draft lottery for 1st overall and draft Jack next summer at the draft...

Every team that misses the playoffs has a chance to win the draft lottery. 

Yup, you are correct.   I just hope you are aware of the odds and how unlikely that will be for Vancouver.   My guess is less than 5% chance.

Archived