The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has the Western World Lost Moderate/Centrist Politics?

Rob_Zepp

46 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I don’t know man, I agree with the message of the video. 

Its interesting how I think that you’re the one who is not getting it, but you’ll think the same of me. This is how politics has gone down since we started picking sides as monkeys or whatever. 

I can’t believe how others can think another way about somethings and know it’s mutual. We turn to despise and hate each other in here, not just the ideas. That’s kinda &^@#ed, but I don’t know how to fix it either. 

I don't think its really that bad out there, its just really really easy to spew reactions on people on certain platforms. There's nothing about twitter that breeds respect. 

You and i have some very fundamental differences on some topics but you also don't go and try to make it personal, you just call it as you see it. I can respect that, I do that all the time too. Doesn't mean I have to hate you for it. 

I think it comes down to being able to dislike the idea but you can still like the person. I think most people have that capacity but for some reason that switch is turned off when it comes to social media like twitter, facetube or instagram, which turns everything into a toilet eventually. I really dislike those platforms. Platforms like CDC are often better because you can have longer conversations if you want to. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nicely stated 189.  We are at a point now, where a voice that is contrary to what is currently popular is one that is not valued.  

why should a contrary view hold any value just because its contrary? maybe its just a demonstrably dumb idea like many of the things Bernier is pushing. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why should a contrary view hold any value just because its contrary? maybe its just a demonstrably dumb idea like many of the things Bernier is pushing. 

Just because an idea is dumb, doesn’t mean it has no value.  We learn from even the dumbest of ideas.  If Bernier doesn’t espouse his dumb ideas, how do we know what he truly is?  Plus, some ideas that may appear dumb now are more prophetic than they are stupid, no?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Just because an idea is dumb, doesn’t mean it has no value.  We learn from even the dumbest of ideas.  If Bernier doesn’t espouse his dumb ideas, how do we know what he truly is?  Plus, some ideas that may appear dumb now are more prophetic than they are stupid, no?  

yes it does.......

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

yes it does.......

Why? 

So because the popular opinion during Copernicus’ time was that his heliocentric view of our solar system was considered dumb the rest of the people shouldn’t be allowed to hear about it?  

Don’t you think it should be up to the individual to decide if an idea is dumb?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Why? 

So because the popular opinion during Copernicus’ time was that his heliocentric view of our solar system was considered dumb the rest of the people shouldn’t be allowed to hear about it?  

Don’t you think it should be up to the individual to decide if an idea is dumb?  

You're trying to make the case that heliocentricism was a dumb idea, but I'd say you're incorrect. The dumb ones were the ones who argued to the contrary...

In answer to your question. I'd say no. Trump thinks nuking a hurricane is a good idea. It's a stupid idea and no individual  should be allowed to argue otherwise and be taken seriously...

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you mean empty anger didn't deliver better policies or programs? huh. 

I think one of the reasons the right seems to be losing steam is that its pretty much performance based - not in the sense of delivering anything tangible, its literally "performance" - a show for the angry masses. Look at Trump, he's literally a reality tv show, there's nothing of substance there whatsoever. Same with Salvini, total wind bag (I hear a lot about him from my Italian in-laws). 

You might be right.

Alberta could be considered a microcosm of it all.  Yell screech scream, prey on the ignorant and the anger and then....fail to deliver 

Will be interesting to see over the next few years.

12 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Where is critical thought these days? This is the hate-fact era. Are we any better than the book-burners of yesteryear? When did we become so easily led, misled and willing to be the useful idiots we now are, squabbling while the laws change, some by our own hand, which make us weaker as a group.

This is the #1 issue facing us today.

it's not LvR, it's not us monkeys choosing sides.  it's us monkeys willing to completely ignore basic literal fact in order to ensure we are not admitting we're wrong

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is the #1 issue facing us today.

it's not LvR, it's not us monkeys choosing sides.  it's us monkeys willing to completely ignore basic literal fact in order to ensure we are not admitting we're wrong

Such conviction. 

I boil down the West’s LvR as the equality of outcome fixing and the cost of it. 

I am totally against anybody asking asking me to literally pay for their lifestyle choices or their ancestors arriving late to the buffet, which I’m somewhat expected to subsidize so we can all have the same starting line. 

Ignoring basic facts, yes. Ignoring biology, especially. Ignoring crime rates and what is happening in Europe is something I especially notice on this board. 

But like Gump, I am not a smart man, but I know enough to not rely on social media or MSM for “facts”. I can’t figure out what is real on TV anymore. Even the commercials are messages. It’s shaping sides for us monkeys to choose. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

You might be right.

Alberta could be considered a microcosm of it all.  Yell screech scream, prey on the ignorant and the anger and then....fail to deliver 

Will be interesting to see over the next few years.

Alberta is the perfect example of right wing performance art. Hit the right notes and you can do anything. Kenney sings the AB fight song, and then can engineer fake opponents in his leadership bid, lies about NDP finances that, oops, were actually fine, lies about his real ability to impact the oil sector, etc etc. 

If you want the best example of group think in Canada, its the AB conservative movement. They'll overlook anything if you tell them what they want to hear. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Such conviction. 

I boil down the West’s LvR as the equality of outcome fixing and the cost of it. 

I am totally against anybody asking asking me to literally pay for their lifestyle choices or their ancestors arriving late to the buffet, which I’m somewhat expected to subsidize so we can all have the same starting line. 

If that was really a thing, "they" are not doing a particularly good job of it.

How are you paying for lifestyle choices, more than another taxpayer is funding yours? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

theres some logic to that Alf :lol: to truly appreciate Hughes you have to see a Pouliot from time to time. 

• Haha 3

This video is an excellent explanation of why our society has become so polarized with extremism (lack of centre, moderate thought) on either side.

Is further regulation required of these massive tech platforms?  His 5 minute intro really made me rethink my own social media usage, even though I got rid of facebook many years ago. I feel used.

“The polarization of our society is actually part of the (big tech's) business model.”

On 9/8/2019 at 5:05 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think its really that bad out there, its just really really easy to spew reactions on people on certain platforms. There's nothing about twitter that breeds respect. 

You and i have some very fundamental differences on some topics but you also don't go and try to make it personal, you just call it as you see it. I can respect that, I do that all the time too. Doesn't mean I have to hate you for it. 

I think it comes down to being able to dislike the idea but you can still like the person. I think most people have that capacity but for some reason that switch is turned off when it comes to social media like twitter, facetube or instagram, which turns everything into a toilet eventually. I really dislike those platforms. Platforms like CDC are often better because you can have longer conversations if you want to. 

Politics is being more personal?

Now if you disagree with someone's point of view, it automatically means you have to dislike the person too and wish them ill will, etc.  

Maybe I'm just too young to remember the "olden days"... but maybe before it was a lot of "agree to disagree", whereas now it's "How dare you!  Block/unfriend/censor/cancel/etc".

Mental maturity, rationality, and self-discipline has gone out the window.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Politics is being more personal?

Now if you disagree with someone's point of view, it automatically means you have to dislike the person too and wish them ill will, etc.  

Maybe I'm just too young to remember the "olden days"... but maybe before it was a lot of "agree to disagree", whereas now it's "How dare you!  Block/unfriend/censor/cancel/etc".

Mental maturity, rationality, and self-discipline has gone out the window.  

More and more, unfortunately. Found this link referencing a number of studies done on both US and UK, and the trend is not good.

https://medium.com/@NoahCarl/who-doesnt-want-to-hear-the-other-side-s-view-9a7cdf3ad702

When I was back home in Vancouver recently, I had a pretty heated discussion with one of my best friends over Trump and the flow of illegals coming across the southern border.  We kept it pretty civil, but the number of times I heard "if you only had an open mind..." was starting to piss me off, considering he only had one source for his points. 

I'm happy to talk politics with him, but it won't be worth losing him as a friend, so I'll be on the look out to try to be sure we don't cross that line in our talks.