The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Farm System Rankings

robr1can

17 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

So the five teams that are left and will fill out the top five are Vancouver, Buffalo, Carolina, NY Islanders and St Louis.  What order will they be in?

My guess would be he ranks them:

5) Islanders

4) Blues

3) Canucks

2) Hurricanes

1) Sabres

So far this week The Athletic has released Pronman's articles for #5 Islanders and #4 Hurricanes so Vancouver will be ranked in his top three farm systems.  With the number three overall in the original article that started this thread and now with The Athletic rankings that correlation puts more weight in the high ranking.

#2.  Pretty darn good.  I remember the dark days in 2013 when the prospect pool was a barren desert.  

The British used to say, "It rains a lot in Britain.  The colonies provide our sunshine."  I think the same could be said for Canuck fans, there's a lot of rain in Canuckville but our prospects give us our sunshine.

Saw this on NHL.com as a top prospects mock draft by two of their fantasy guys. Pettersson was "drafted" 3rd, Hughes 10th, Demko 24th as the third goalie taken behind Hart and Samsonov.

Their lines end up being:

5b8955aeb4e40_ScreenShot2018-08-31at7_46_21AM.png.5e268627d8870f89c40790aebff5ea90.png5b8955f23f59f_ScreenShot2018-08-31at7_51_06AM.png.9cea0bf3201aadd786c1b77e969654ee.png

Just thought it backed up all the recent prospect pool rankings done, including Pronman and the Athletic, that have us near tops in the NHL. Buffalo is well represented here with their top 2 in Dahlin and MIttlestadt (chosen first and second overall by the above). Carolina's top duo sits on Kimmelman's second forward line. NYI have 3, like us, but I'd take our 3 over theirs without a second thought. At the top of each team's respective prospect pools, the really sure-fire borderline elite talent, Buffalo is the only team to come close and they don't quite cover the 3 positions we have. TLDR; I'm fired up.

For me, Morreale wins a Stanley Cup final series on the strength of their D skating ability, a wicked top line and an excellent 4th line. Pretty close between the two though - thoughts?

2 hours ago, Guile said:

Saw this on NHL.com as a top prospects mock draft by two of their fantasy guys. Pettersson was "drafted" 3rd, Hughes 10th, Demko 24th as the third goalie taken behind Hart and Samsonov.

5b8955aeb4e40_ScreenShot2018-08-31at7_46_21AM.png.5e268627d8870f89c40790aebff5ea90.png5b8955f23f59f_ScreenShot2018-08-31at7_51_06AM.png.9cea0bf3201aadd786c1b77e969654ee.png

Just thought it backed up all the recent prospect pool rankings done, including Pronman and the Athletic, that have us near tops in the NHL. Buffalo is well represented here with their top 2 in Dahlin and MIttlestadt (chosen first and second overall by the above). Carolina's top duo sits on Kimmelman's second forward line. NYI have 3, like us, but I'd take our 3 over theirs without a second thought. At the top of each team's respective prospect pools, the really sure-fire borderline elite talent, Buffalo is the only team to come close and they don't quite cover the 3 positions we have. TLDR; I'm fired up.

For me, Morreale wins a Stanley Cup final series on the strength of their D skating ability, a wicked top line and an excellent 4th line. Pretty close between the two though - thoughts?

For me Team Morreale is way better, I dont think it would be close in a series. 

On 31/08/2018 at 8:02 AM, Guile said:

Maybe it's just my inner home. But if I was building these two teams to play today, then I'd have Juolevi in over either Smith or Boqvist. But still good lists. But I agree with PB that Morreale is the better team. His first and second lines could play in the NHL this season.

10 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Maybe it's just my inner home. But if I was building these two teams to play today, then I'd have Juolevi in over either Smith or Boqvist. But still good lists. But I agree with PB that Morreale is the better team. His first and second lines could play in the NHL this season.

Fair enough, but I think you could say the same of Kimmelman's top six as well, minus Farabee perhaps. I think that Juolevi is a bit under the radar right now for some journalists just because he was overseas and there is still that false cloud of him having a disappointing last two years. As you said though, for a Stanley Cup series starting tomorrow, Juolevi belongs purely based on his pro experience and additional year of development over those two. I'd also put him in front of Valimaki for the same reasons plus his World Juniors performance as Finland's top D (very arguably).

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What was the final, Sabres? With Dahlin Mittelsteadt etc.

Or is it out yet...

As others said the Sabres finished at #1 and the Canucks at #2.  Pronman evaluated individual prospects into seven categories Special, Elite, High End, Very Good, Legit, Have a Change and Depth.  Rasmus Dahlin was the only player to get Special status and pushed the Sabres to #1.  The Canucks had 2 Elite, 6 Legit, 5 Have a Chance and 7 Depth prospects.

The Hockey News had a story about who could be this years New Jersey or Colorado...

They had Edmonton...for christ's sakes....Buffalo...definitely due for a rise, but playoffs...? and Arizona....seriously...?

Our very own Canucks have a better chance than any of those 3 to get 20+ more points than last year...!

Let it begin...! 

I know a lot of people would think I am mistaken... but I think Gadjovich should be on the Canuck's list ahead of Jet Woo.

This kid of 19 is already 6' 2"/209 and his skating has improved tremendously.

Whenever he is challenged, he always responds.  I think he will make the Canucks this year or the next.

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I know a lot of people would think I am mistaken... but I think Gadjovich should be on the Canuck's list ahead of Jet Woo.

This kid of 19 is already 6' 2"/209 and his skating has improved tremendously.

Whenever he is challenged, he always responds.  I think he will make the Canucks this year or the next.

Jett is a defense man not a forward like Jonah.  You can't compare the two.  D-men always take longer to develop.  Also, I think Jett is going to be a great player for us but probably not for a couple years yet.  You need to remember that they don't even play the same position. :)

9 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Jett is a defense man not a forward like Jonah.  You can't compare the two.  D-men always take longer to develop.  Also, I think Jett is going to be a great player for us but probably not for a couple years yet.  You need to remember that they don't even play the same position. :)

Then they shouldn't have a list with d-men and forwards on it together by that metric.

Have to say, our prospect pool is far removed from the days when Megna and Chaput were the call ups from Utica when we were decimated by injuries.  We have some kids who will be pushing to make the team, and others who will be legit contenders to be call ups so it makes for a high sense of anticipation (and probably endless pages on CDC second guessing every coaching/GM decision).  Looking forward to everything this season will bring!  

Archived