The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Farm System Rankings

robr1can

On 2018-08-02 at 3:19 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Outside Dahlin and Mittelstadt I don’t like the Sabers prospect pool. Only thing is those two guys are ELITE prospects. Good enough alone to bring them in the top 3. Also outside of our boys I really like St Louis and Detroit’s groups of prospects.

Don't worry, next year the Sabres will fall out of the top ten with their two Calder possibles joining the team this year.   Question is how far our pool will also sink with Pettersson and possibly one (or maybe two) other high end prospects (OJ and either Gaudette or Dahlen) also making the big club?  Probably the same as Buffalo.  How the heck is PHI still ranked so high?  They are drafting WAY above their average draft position, Patrick made the NHL already so it isn't just that...

On 2018-09-08 at 5:20 AM, *Buzzsaw* said:

I know a lot of people would think I am mistaken... but I think Gadjovich should be on the Canuck's list ahead of Jet Woo.

This kid of 19 is already 6' 2"/209 and his skating has improved tremendously.

Whenever he is challenged, he always responds.  I think he will make the Canucks this year or the next.

He's the one guy that's in our pool that got blocked by the recent three UFAs signed this summer.  He could have started the year on the fourth line given his size and ability, and as you've mentioned his improved skating. After one game it's obvious his skills can translate into the NHL and he's one of our most ready prospects.  Palmu also really impressed me, hated the pick at the time but Benning is a much better drafter than me as I'd have picked Glass or Valardi I've Pettersson at the time too.   Small guys with push back always impress me, and Palmu does that, plus his skill is obvious.  In a couple years the Canucks will have a fearsome lineup...

On 8/2/2018 at 8:19 PM, robr1can said:

Here's an article I found interesting and seems to be close to the mark. http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-top-prospects-best-worst-farm-system-draft-history-sabres-flyers-canucks-penguins/tn8fb6mqnial16bxvtds5dacu

What are your thoughts?

I think Philly should be lower than us.

The highest ranked player for Philly is 2018 1st round pick (Farabee). On the contrary, Canucks 2018 1st round pick (Hughes) is "only" #2 on the Canucks farm system. And yet, Hughes was rated higher than Farabee in the draft. So by logical reasoning, Canucks #1 (EP) > Canucks #2 (Hughes) > Philly #1 > Philly #2 (Carter Hart). To make up for this gap, Philly's #3-10 better be super deep and much better than Canucks #3-10. But is this the case?

Admittedly, I do not know Philly's players that well but I know the Canucks players well and to my (biased) opinion, Canucks #3-#7 have really high upsides and seems to have higher chance to become NHLers than not. For starters, Juolevi, as they say, still has first pairing potential as he seems to be in the mold of Sami Salo. And yet, he is #5 on our list. A potential first pairing defenceman is #5 on our list and their highest ranked dman, Phillipe Myers, sits at #3... So Unless Phillipe Myers is a surefire #1 pairing, their #3 is at most similar to our #5. This means our #3 > #4 > #5 == Philly's #3 > Philly's #4 > Philly's #5.

Now #6 (Gaud) and #7 (DiPietro). Gaudette won Hobey Baker and DiPietro was invited to Canada WHC as a junior player... Can we honestly say that players like Oskar Lindblom (#5 on their list and is a 22 year old) clearly has higher upside than these two players? I mean I give Oskar Lindblom a lot of credit, he put up near PPG in SHL one year ago as a 21 year old. But still, it's not clear if he is better than our #6 and #7. So worst case, our #6 and #7 sits somewhere between their #5-#7. 

So, it seems like our #1 to #5 > Philly's #1 to #5. And, it seems like our #6, #7 and their #6, #7 are more or less similar. So that leaves one possibility, that their #8-#10 >>>>> our #8-#10 and hence them being better than us? Like their #8-#10 has good chance to become NHLers whereas ours are at best AHLers? If that's how they came to rank Philly higher than us, then it's just laughable. Because our #8 is Lind who seems to have performed better than say their #9. 

Buffalo being ahead of us is understandable because in most experts' eyes, EP is similar to Middlestadt and Dahlin >> Hughes. But, Canucks should clearly be #2 ahead of Philly.

1 hour ago, khay said:

I think Philly should be lower than us.

The highest ranked player for Philly is 2018 1st round pick (Farabee). On the contrary, Canucks 2018 1st round pick (Hughes) is "only" #2 on the Canucks farm system. And yet, Hughes was rated higher than Farabee in the draft. So by logical reasoning, Canucks #1 (EP) > Canucks #2 (Hughes) > Philly #1 > Philly #2 (Carter Hart). To make up for this gap, Philly's #3-10 better be super deep and much better than Canucks #3-10. But is this the case?

Admittedly, I do not know Philly's players that well but I know the Canucks players well and to my (biased) opinion, Canucks #3-#7 have really high upsides and seems to have higher chance to become NHLers than not. For starters, Juolevi, as they say, still has first pairing potential as he seems to be in the mold of Sami Salo. And yet, he is #5 on our list. A potential first pairing defenceman is #5 on our list and their highest ranked dman, Phillipe Myers, sits at #3... So Unless Phillipe Myers is a surefire #1 pairing, their #3 is at most similar to our #5. This means our #3 > #4 > #5 == Philly's #3 > Philly's #4 > Philly's #5.

Now #6 (Gaud) and #7 (DiPietro). Gaudette won Hobey Baker and DiPietro was invited to Canada WHC as a junior player... Can we honestly say that players like Oskar Lindblom (#5 on their list and is a 22 year old) clearly has higher upside than these two players? I mean I give Oskar Lindblom a lot of credit, he put up near PPG in SHL one year ago as a 21 year old. But still, it's not clear if he is better than our #6 and #7. So worst case, our #6 and #7 sits somewhere between their #5-#7. 

So, it seems like our #1 to #5 > Philly's #1 to #5. And, it seems like our #6, #7 and their #6, #7 are more or less similar. So that leaves one possibility, that their #8-#10 >>>>> our #8-#10 and hence them being better than us? Like their #8-#10 has good chance to become NHLers whereas ours are at best AHLers? If that's how they came to rank Philly higher than us, then it's just laughable. Because our #8 is Lind who seems to have performed better than say their #9. 

Buffalo being ahead of us is understandable because in most experts' eyes, EP is similar to Middlestadt and Dahlin >> Hughes. But, Canucks should clearly be #2 ahead of Philly.

The way I've been interpreting it, Philly has prospects of Kole Lind's calibre down to #15. Many experts have said that they could make 2 prospect teams. Having multiple 1st round picks in 3 of the last 4 years definitely helps with that.

Archived