The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stan Mikita passes away at age 78

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, sonoman said:

RIP Stan.  You were always entertaining to watch on the little 12”? Black and white TV in the rumpus room growing up in the 60’s

13AC0968-C44F-4E52-BC63-BDD79C248115.jpeg

Our rumpus room had wood paneling and a built in bunk and a wood burning fireplace.

Now people have a "media room" and gas fireplaces that you turn on with a remote.

Anyway, I remember watching HNIC downstairs in our rumpus room with my Dad and brother.   I didn't particularly enjoy hockey then, but we only had one (B&W) tv and on Saturday night, there was no argument.......HNIC was on.  I remember Stan Mikita vividly.

Edited by redhdlois
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

IMG_5533.jpg

Lol....you would be surprised how many people thought that was a real place and asked it's location.  Mike Myers was just doing a spin-off of Tim Horton's. 

Good memories from when that movie came out. 

7 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Our rumpus room had wood paneling and a built in bunk and a wood burning fireplace.

Now people have a "media room" and gas fireplaces that you turn on with a remote.

Anyway, I remember watching HNIC downstairs in our rumpus room with my Dad and brother.   I didn't particularly enjoy hockey then, but we only had one (B&W) tv and on Saturday night, there was no argument.......HNIC was on.  I remember Stan Mikita vividly.

Those Habs vs Leafs games were epics. Then they started to realize that the Hawks with Hull and Mikita were attractions too. Most families ate dinner with those old TV trays perched in front of them while sitting on the couch. You had to get up and turn the volume up or down on the TV, or in our case give the rabbit ears a little adjustment if the screen got fuzzy, which it always did.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Lol....you would be surprised how many people thought that was a real place and asked it's location.  Mike Myers was just doing a spin-off of Tim Horton's. 

Good memories from when that movie came out. 

Saw an awesome clip of MM and Stan from when shortly after the movie came out - I was too young to have caught it in theatres but loved it by the time I was old enough to watch and that clip was hilarious and I wish someone would put it on YouTube.    Stan played the perfect straight man and was asking for his residual cheque and MM was acting all "well.....we technically didn't make any money on the movie" and then Stan was "you know what they called me BEFORE my Lady Byng" and MM was "bring it on old guy"....and it went on from there.   Was like Adam Sandler with Bob Barker in HGilmore.    Awesome stuff.    

36 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Or midget wrestling and Ron Morrier...........

Did Juliette follow HNIC ?  Can't remember....

Might have been Juliette....I never got to watch as it was my bedtime as a kid.  I was allowed to stay up late enough to watch HNIC.  On special nights I'd get to go into town with Dad to watch the local men's team play the hated nearest town rivals :)  Good times as a 5 year old growing up in a small farming community!  That meant staying up really late (their game ended around 10pm).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

we only had ch7 cbc  lol my mom bought this plastic sheet to go over the black and white screen . so everything was red. hahaha ,oh the mid 60s dont miss that time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redhdlois said:

Everyone's pet, Juliette! Yes she did follow Esso Hockey Night in Canada. Remember those "tiger tails" that Esso handed out at their gas stations, way back when a gallon of regular cost 24.2 cents, extra was 26.2. Ward Cornell and the Hot Stove League, Foster Hewitt TML and Danny Gallivan Montreal, doing play-by-play, good times! Rassling was usually on Saturday noon and was broadcast live at one time by the studios in Lake City, Burnaby.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Everyone's pet, Juliette! Yes she did follow Esso Hockey Night in Canada. Remember those "tiger tails" that Esso handed out at their gas stations, way back when a gallon of regular cost 24.2 cents, extra was 26.2. Ward Cornell and the Hot Stove League, Foster Hewitt TML and Danny Gallivan Montreal, doing play-by-play, good times! Rassling was usually on Saturday noon and was broadcast live at one time by the studios in Lake City, Burnaby.

All Star Wrestling at BCTV?

48 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

lol Yes, I remember the tiger tails.....I also seem to recall some sort of 'pull tabs'....maybe that's how you won a tail ?

I also remember the NHL sticker book.

Awwww....the good  ole days !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1