Sign in to follow this  
Nuxfanabroad

Crystal Ball The Contracts...

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

For a lil' summer discussion, thought I'd get this thread rolling.

 

As per Capfriendly, we're in a nice cap-scenario(Finally!)..currently sitting about 23rd overall. TO & Winn will pass us soon, with big names they have to sign. So we'll likely sit about 25th(total cap expense, for 2018~19), as the season kicks off. About 10,000,000 $ of open space.

 

Let's all agree that our kids mostly impress, over the coming seasons(to make thread less complicated).Namely:

 

- QH is on par with Dumba, Pietrangelo, Werenski types for success(perhaps a beauty hybrid?)

- Brock becomes perrenial 40/80 guy

- Jake becomes a 50/60 pt pwf

- Olli becomes what a young Edler appeared to once be(ascending, but 5 mill level, let's say)

- Petterson hits Brock-level, in terms of skill/numbers

- Demko is certifiable, early-Schneids level, first few yrs. Legitimate starter

- Gaudette becomes something between Kesler & Kadri(style & pts)

 

All this raises a coupla' questions. At what point will a surging cast of excellent youth pose a cap-crunch issue?

A- What season will this problem kick in?

b- Anybody have contract $/term strategies that may best avert/delay the inevitable?

c - Will we eventually have to entertain trades, to keep recycling in high-level ELC's?

d- Lastly, what's the best example of a team that's simultaneously/affordably maintained depth & success? What lessons apply?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what ??

you want me to do the work for you ?

damn.. that is bold

:P

i prefer to read work already done

and critique it

so much easier ::D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

For a lil' summer discussion, thought I'd get this thread rolling.

 

As per Capfriendly, we're in a nice cap-scenario(Finally!)..currently sitting about 23rd overall. TO & Winn will pass us soon, with big names they have to sign. So we'll likely sit about 25th(total cap expense, for 2018~19), as the season kicks off. About 10,000,000 $ of open space.

 

Let's all agree that our kids mostly impress, over the coming seasons(to make thread less complicated).Namely:

 

- QH is on par with Dumba, Pietrangelo, Werenski types for success(perhaps a beauty hybrid?)

- Brock becomes perrenial 40/80 guy

- Jake becomes a 50/60 pt pwf

- Olli becomes what a young Edler appeared to once be(ascending, but 5 mill level, let's say)

- Petterson hits Brock-level, in terms of skill/numbers

- Demko is certifiable, early-Schneids level, first few yrs. Legitimate starter

- Gaudette becomes something between Kesler & Kadri(style & pts)

 

All this raises a coupla' questions. At what point will a surging cast of excellent youth pose a cap-crunch issue?

A- What season will this problem kick in?

b- Anybody have contract $/term strategies that may best avert/delay the inevitable?

c - Will we eventually have to entertain trades, to keep recycling in high-level ELC's?

d- Lastly, what's the best example of a team that's simultaneously/affordably maintained depth & success? What lessons apply?

A) I'd say we are in the clear for at least the next 3 years. Maybe longer, but that is when Pettersson and Hughes' ELCs will expire.

 

B - Hard to say, I'd throw max term at Boeser this year/next summer and hope you can get him for >7 million. Edler and Del Zotto are both UFAs next summer, potentially 8 mil coming off the books. I'd hope Del Zotto is gone at the deadline and Edler can be re-signed for less, maybe a Gudbranson contract of 4mil x 3 years?

Gagner, Nillsson, and a few others will be off the books and replaced (IMO) inhouse with cheaper ELCs, so I'd imagine we can still be around the 10 to 15 mil in cap space so we have room to work with Hughes and Pettersson.

I'd be more incline to give guys like Joulevi and Demko bridge deals

 

C) Maybe? We can do a decent job of filling out a lot of depth roster spots with ELCs. Eriksson is going to be biting us in the last couple years of his contract. We might have to give a rebuilding team a draft pick to take him off our hands.

 

D) I think Pittsburgh has done a good job. They have their best players locked in at reasonable prices and are cycling youth though the line up to fill complementary (and some prominant - Guntzel) roles.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

For a lil' summer discussion, thought I'd get this thread rolling.

 

As per Capfriendly, we're in a nice cap-scenario(Finally!)..currently sitting about 23rd overall. TO & Winn will pass us soon, with big names they have to sign. So we'll likely sit about 25th(total cap expense, for 2018~19), as the season kicks off. About 10,000,000 $ of open space.

 

Let's all agree that our kids mostly impress, over the coming seasons(to make thread less complicated).Namely:

 

- QH is on par with Dumba, Pietrangelo, Werenski types for success(perhaps a beauty hybrid?)

- Brock becomes perrenial 40/80 guy

- Jake becomes a 50/60 pt pwf

- Olli becomes what a young Edler appeared to once be(ascending, but 5 mill level, let's say)

- Petterson hits Brock-level, in terms of skill/numbers

- Demko is certifiable, early-Schneids level, first few yrs. Legitimate starter

- Gaudette becomes something between Kesler & Kadri(style & pts)

 

All this raises a coupla' questions. At what point will a surging cast of excellent youth pose a cap-crunch issue?

A- What season will this problem kick in?

b- Anybody have contract $/term strategies that may best avert/delay the inevitable?

c - Will we eventually have to entertain trades, to keep recycling in high-level ELC's?

d- Lastly, what's the best example of a team that's simultaneously/affordably maintained depth & success? What lessons apply?

We have 4 years before the first crunch...

 

That is when Bo will need to be re-upped, QH will need his first long term deal, OJ will have just started his, Brock will be 2 years into his next deal.

 

Jake is the key...if we can keep him developing slowly...maybe he gets signed for 4 x $4M or 6 x $4.5M and then turns into a bargain. (I wouldn't pay him that now, but he looks ready to make some moves this year)

 

I trust JB to get us through the next 4 years without to much of a squeeze.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We have 4 years before the first crunch...

 

That is when Bo will need to be re-upped, QH will need his first long term deal, OJ will have just started his, Brock will be 2 years into his next deal.

 

Jake is the key...if we can keep him developing slowly...maybe he gets signed for 4 x $4M or 6 x $4.5M and then turns into a bargain.

 

I trust JB to get us through the next 4 years without to much of a squeeze.

Bo is under contract for another 5 years

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/bo-horvat

Edited by MattJVD
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

...but think of all the CAP space if they are all busts......that will yield two great things, one will be the CAP space and two will be  you will seemingly finally be happy about something to do with the Canucks!   

The Power of Positive-Pessimism!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

You guys are going to be so depressed when, like always, our prospects don't turn out nearly as good as hoped...

So you’re saying we are going to WAY OVERPAY our young guys, and suck lemons like the Oilers, and Sabres?  WRONG!  Our guys, led by Bo, will bring us at least two Stanley Cups in the coming decade.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all our prospects hit their potential, then this scenario is a problem I would gladly have.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Four yrs on, & all kids storm outa' the gate...

 

Petterson - 8

Brock - 7.5(pipe dream?)

Hughes - 7

Demko - 6

Bo - 5.5(Thanks Bo!)

OJ - 5

Jake - 4.5

Gaudette - 4.5(say other C's limit his offense..does he have the humble character to accept scenario? Probably)

 

8 young, key guys

coming into prime yrs

Total - 48,000,000 AAV

 

Hopefully the cap keeps climbing higher. Since JB has emphasized good character with these kids, would say it's quite possible they'll find the ways to make the numbers work.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

You guys are going to be so depressed when, like always, our prospects don't turn out nearly as good as hoped...

Image result for crystal ball clown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

since we're talking dream scenarios where everything works out...

 

what will the contact status of Tram be? assuming he comes back when he said he would, and is a solid top 4.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

since we're talking dream scenarios where everything works out...

 

what will the contact status of Tram be? assuming he comes back when he said he would, and is a solid top 4.. 

We can probably get Tram signed a couple yrs cheaply, since he's laying low in the gulag. By then we might be at war with the Russkies(who knows?!), due to dodgy dossiers by Hillarity & the gang.

 

The best persuasion for NT is if our team is rolling with talented youth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We can probably get Tram signed a couple yrs cheaply, since he's laying low in the gulag. By then we might be at war with the Russkies(who knows?!), due to dodgy dossiers by Hillarity & the gang.

 

The best persuasion for NT is if our team is rolling with talented youth

24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We can probably get Tram signed a couple yrs cheaply, since he's laying low in the gulag. By then we might be at war with the Russkies(who knows?!), due to dodgy dossiers by Hillarity & the gang.

 

The best persuasion for NT is if our team is rolling with talented youth.

true, true... 

so what's cheap then.. 3.5 per?

 

5 years from now dream:

Petter - 8

Brock - 8

this year's 1st (ahem Hughes) - 8

bo-ho - 8

jv - 4.5

q-hu - 6

oj - 4.5

demko - 6

gaud - 4.5

dahlen - 4

gadj - 2.5

lind - 3.5

tram 3.5

woo - 3

dipietro - 1.5

hmmm... and idea where the cap will sit in 5 years? lol.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

true, true... 

so what's cheap then.. 3.5 per?

 

5 years from now dream:

Petter - 8

Brock - 8

this year's 1st (ahem Hughes) - 8

bo-ho - 8

jv - 4.5

q-hu - 6

oj - 4.5

demko - 6

gaud - 4.5

dahlen - 4

gadj - 2.5

lind - 3.5

tram 3.5

woo - 3

dipietro - 1.5

hmmm... and idea where the cap will sit in 5 years? lol.

Reminds me of the scores I gave ex-gf's(outa 10)! Ya start low & monkey-branch high as possible :^)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Reminds me of the scores I gave ex-gf's(outa 10)! Ya start low & monkey-branch high as possible :^)

wow that's a lot of 8's! were some of those of the 'went to bed with an 8, woke up with a 2' variety? bwah!

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.